Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Advice sought on window tinting againt UV-rays

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice sought on window tinting againt UV-rays

Dear G37 friends… hope to get your advice on best auto window tint that would be compatible with G37x 4-door sedan. I’ve looked into major brands like 3M & Llumar over the net. These seem to be the more known reputable brands. Hoping anyone out there with recent experience on the matter could share their tales.

I prefer the window tint that would give maximum protection against UV, but still be within legal limits (NV allows 35% factor for front windows). Also, any advice on how to address the issue of UV coming through the front windshield since almost all states do not allow any form of tinting or film placement except for the top 3-4 inches?

Reno, NV can get pretty nasty with UV in spring & summer since we do not have that much cloud cover annually. My wife & I have been warned about our UV exposure & risk premature skin deconditioning, skin cancer risks, as well as premature cataract risk too. (We use sunblock frequently & put on sunglasses when outdoors). One area we put our guards down is during roadtrips until I noticed my left forearm being sunburned.

Thanks.

Last edited by Reno-ID-Doc; 05-25-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Strange font characters showed up.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much any auto tint you get will provide 99% UV protection. I went with Suntek Carbon because my state also mandates 35% and it's 35% was thicker and darker looking giving a black look rather then that aweful green of cheap sunglasses many of the 35% samples had.

There's some talk about metalized film interfering with the electronics like TPM sensors or GPS, yet we have G users with metal films and no issues. If there's any truth to it Carbon tint is an easy solution which just happened to be another tick for going with it. It's been tough stuff and hasn't scratched yet in a 1.5 years, also carries a lifetime warrenty.

When you get it done ask if they can do micro or shaved edges which takes the tint to the edge of the glass for a factory tint look.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-25-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
While it is illegal for you to put tint on the front windshield, in your case it sounds like the benefits seriously outweigh any non-moving violation fine you might be assessed. I used to have 40% on my front windshield, it was not too dark at night and I never was harassed by the police. As long as you stick to 35% in the front, I doubt you will have any problems.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to do a brow of tint as long as it does not go below the tint marker on the windshield glass. You can find that etched into the upper corners. There also should be UV protection built into most auto glass, but admittedly not as much as you would like.
UVA and UVB protection does not necessarily mean that a dark tint is required or that visible light transfer is blocked heavily.
There are coatings available that transfer most all visible light but restrict UV to a minimum.

I would love to have a eyeglass coating like "transitions" available for auto windshields. They don't get excessively dark but block 100% of UV.
Maybe someday they will make it an option.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Reno-ID-Doc

Thanks for the reply guys.

Tomorrow Tuesday after the Memorial day weekend, when business resumes, I will get in touch with local tint shops. Your inputs have surely given me ideas. At least before I hear the sales pitch from the shop guys, I know a bit more than just being a passive client.

A note to our tribe who loves driving their G37 this summer... as they say "limit the sun, but not the fun!" Guys, protect yourself from too much UV.

Come drive up & around Lake Tahoe & the Reno area this time of year.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
acura19

get Huper Optik if you can find it. it's nice very nice looking. you get different effects depending on the angle you look at it from. you can get 40% and that should put you within legal limits as the glass as a small level of tint already. huper optik will run you a lil more money than the rest, but it is also thicker and can withstand a lil more abuse. it also has the highest uv/solar engery rejection of the tints of the same level.