Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

cracked my headlight... :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
phooky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked My Headlight... :/

So after a minor fender bender, the plastic cover of my drivers side headlight is cracked and I can't find the bottom part. I figured I could just replace the plastic cover, since the bulbs etc are all ok, but my body shop said I need to replace the entire headlight, which could be up to a thousand dollars (!)
Can anyone shed some light on my situation? Is there really no way to fix just the part of my headlight that's broken?
Thanks guys

Last edited by phooky; 04-22-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

might be able to find a busted, left side headlight on ebay for less than brand new.. and get someone to use a heat gun to change the plastic cover to your existing?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I remember Black Betty was selling a set of headlights for like 900, so just 1 shouldn't be that expensive, but it will still hurt.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You may find a non working headlight that has a good cover on ebay. You might possibly get lucky at a salvage yard.

If you end up buying an entire new light, don't pay $1000+ for one light when you can get 2 that are painted for only $850.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/exterio...lights-bo.html
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
graphiteg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a used drivers side headlight i'll sell to you. here is a pic

PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your insurance going to cover it? If so, have them get you a new set and I'll buy your used set.

If not, I'd just get the used driver side headlight from graphiteG37
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
phooky

Thanks for the quick replies.. So I guess its impossible to buy just the plastic cover from Infiniti. Damn.. Guess I should start saving up.
A couple of follow up questions:
-If I do manage to find a busted headlight with an intact cover, how easy/difficult would it be for me to personally change the headlight cover?
-Does anyone know the price of the headlight if I got it direct from Infiniti?
-My body shop guy told me that I need to get it fixed asap, because once water gets inside and around the bulb, the xenon bulb will blow from this. Can anyone confirm or deny this statement?

Edit: I figure a picture might be helpful, so attached is a picture of the damage taken on Friday. Note the gaping hole at the bottom of the headlight. Got a quote of 700 to fix everything (dent, paint) excluding the light.
Attached Thumbnails cracked my headlight... :/-img00012-20090417-1741.jpg  

Last edited by phooky; 04-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Kwang

You parked dangerously close to the curb in that picture... Your rims will be scarred for life if you're not careful =P

3. I believe that is true, since moisture and high temperature on the bulb will do some harm.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
ucla bruin

Wow that is a huge hole. Get that taken care of ASAP, moisture in there = bad times for your bulbs and wiring.

If you get it from dealership, it'll be a lot more $$ than getting it from black betty or graphiteg37.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 PM
phooky

Originally Posted by Kwang
You parked dangerously close to the curb in that picture... Your rims will be scarred for life if you're not careful =P

3. I believe that is true, since moisture and high temperature on the bulb will do some harm.
Haha I know, I live on a very busy street in Brooklyn NY and had my side mirror on my Accord Coupe knocked off twice in 2007.. Since then I get as close as humanly possible to curb and close in my mirror when I can't find parking on the side streets.

And thank you for that insight on the bulb properties, I actually spent some time yesterday drying it off and covering the hole with clear masking tape. Had a lot of driving to do and we had soaking rain so I wanted to be safe.. even though I'm probably gonna need to be buying an entirely new light anyway
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Kwang

Maybe you can use something like this to help protect the insides of the light for the time being:

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...ptChoiceIds=10

Oh yeah, I think even the moisture from your fingers can ruin the bulb; so be careful on what you touch.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
phooky

So I think I found a used left headlight for 325. Is it easy to change these headlights? ie, would I be able to change the lights myself, even though I have no experience with working on a car?

Additionally, does anyone know anything I could do with my working headlight with the busted plasic? Would anyone want to buy it for cheap? Everything works perfectly, just the outer plastic is cracked badly
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
ucla bruin

How cheap? You're very limited in options here. Almost no one will want to pay money for cracked lens but PM me if you'd like.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Retromoe

Originally Posted by phooky
So I think I found a used left headlight for 325. Is it easy to change these headlights? ie, would I be able to change the lights myself, even though I have no experience with working on a car?

Additionally, does anyone know anything I could do with my working headlight with the busted plasic? Would anyone want to buy it for cheap? Everything works perfectly, just the outer plastic is cracked badly
Where are you located?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
DrJones

Originally Posted by Kwang

Was my first thought exactly!!!!

Quick Reply: cracked my headlight... :/