Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint defect

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
sebounet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint defect

Today i was cleaning and spraying some wax on my g37, and on the hood i noticed there was something under the clear, i tried to polish it , but still there. My car is dark blue, i can see the defect only with light or sun on it. It's like an ''H'' shape about 2 inches high, it's look like a paint excess , (sorry my english is not fluent), but you know when you paint your wall with too much paint, the excess goes down in vertical lines, it looks like that. When i pass my hand i can't feel it, it's smooth.

So what would you do , have the hood repainted or it's better to let it like that, to avoid some question , when i would like to sale it. And i know the body shop won't have a good paint quality against stones or without any dirt under the paint.

I'm very dissapointed, by this so big defect for japan made car.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet
Today i was cleaning and spraying some wax on my g37, and on the hood i noticed there was something under the clear, i tried to polish it , but still there. My car is dark blue, i can see the defect only with light or sun on it. It's like an ''H'' shape about 2 inches high, it's look like a paint excess , (sorry my english is not fluent), but you know when you paint your wall with too much paint, the excess goes down in vertical lines, it looks like that. When i pass my hand i can't feel it, it's smooth.

So what would you do , have the hood repainted or it's better to let it like that, to avoid some question , when i would like to sale it. And i know the body shop won't have a good paint quality against stones or without any dirt under the paint.

I'm very dissapointed, by this so big defect for japan made car.
I think what your seeing is the new repairing clear coat, and it might have repaired itself over a ding on the car. My bet its is definitely the self healing clearcoat. Its either that or our 08's overall crappy clearcoat. Sorry to hear, maybe some detailers will know how to work stuff out of this new clearcoat.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
sebounet

thank you but the size of the scarf if around 1/8 inch by 2 inches, i don'think it's the self healing clear coat. We wiil see. It's difficult to take a picture but i will try later.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
elite

hope you figure out whatever the scarf sized object is.

This paint is some of the weakest I've had to deal with.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Elite....who's the girl in your avatar?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by Graham
I think what your seeing is the new repairing clear coat, and it might have repaired itself over a ding on the car. My bet its is definitely the self healing clearcoat. Its either that or our 08's overall crappy clearcoat. Sorry to hear, maybe some detailers will know how to work stuff out of this new clearcoat.
What's wrong with the 08's clearcoat?

I got 2 very small chips on my G which I think were made by a small rock (or the like) hitting my car while driving. One is on the egde of the front driver fender, other on drivers door edge.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by elite
This paint is some of the weakest I've had to deal with.
Why is that?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM
sebounet

Pictures update

Here you'll find two pictures, what wide to where you see the gap between the hood and fender to give you an idea of the size of the defect. And one crop , hope it's easier to see. The dark straight line on the right of the picture is just a reflection from my ceiling.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM
elite

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
^^^ Elite....who's the girl in your avatar?
An upgrade/ new project.

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Why is that?
I've never seen such thin clear coating in my life. i've seen maaco jobs better.

Last edited by elite; 04-15-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
sebounet

Any comments about the pictures
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet
Any comments about the pictures
It looks like a paint defect under the clear coat; it will require sanding and re-paint to fix it.

Have you spoken with your dealer about it? It should be covered by your car warranty.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
It looks like a paint defect under the clear coat; it will require sanding and re-paint to fix it.

Have you spoken with your dealer about it? It should be covered by your car warranty.

Not yet, i 'm waiting for my first oil change. I don't think i really want to paint it, because i'm afraid of a poor job that will give me a worst paint quality compare to what is done in a factory. And when a part of the car has been repainted, when you want to sale it , some questions could come and lost of value.