Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Black/Gold Engine Bay & New Pics Of The G!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 PM
EVO-to-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black/Gold Engine Bay & New Pics Of The G!

Alright so i finally found some time the passed couple days to paint some engine bay parts. Also snapped a couple pics of the whip. I brought the black and gold theme to the engine bay. I think the parts came out pretty sweet.

First got some pics of the G and then i got some of the parts...not all are installed yet...i just did the engine cover today so its drying now and will go on tomorrow...will update with more pics once everything is in. Also at the bottom is what i used incase people are wondering. (pics are of before i got the magnaflows on)

I used the wheel coating as an extra layer of protection as it gets pretty hot under the hood...only thing i noticed is that the wheel coating is clear but has a little metallic to it...so with the gold it looks fine but i wouldn't use it if your going for a plain color. (as you can tell they ran out of duplicolor clear coat...so bought some other kind which worked great)

__________________________________________________ _____

Alright so like i promised earlier to wakeboardr116 i'll do a quick DIY on the process i used.

Removal/Taping & Covering:
First i took off the brake fluid/battery covers along with the surrouding plastic piece thats painted gold. There around 6 plastic tap screw things that hold them in place, then it just slides out. I used some plastic and tape to cover everything besides what i wanted gold. You gotta really take your time and tape off everything and make sure there are no gaps. Also that little rubber piece that seals and sits across the top just slides right out. Same goes for the engine cover...took me quite some time to tape off everything and cover it with plastic but you gotta make sure its all sealed so you don't get color on the wrong pieces.

For everything thats painted gold i used these steps:
1. Make sure everything is clean and free of dirt. I used some alcohol wipes to get everything clean.

2. Put 3 coats of Adhesion Promoter. This is basically a primer for plastic. It goes on clear. Your supposed to apply the coats within 2-3 minutes of each other and then apply the color within 10 min of your last coat of the Adhesion Promoter.

3. Then i sprayed the gold. Nice, even, light coats so you don't get any drips or runs. I prob did 4 coats or more of the gold. Don't do heavy coats and try to get it all colored in one coat. The first couple coats you can probably still see the bottom piece. Then everything starts filling in nicely.

4. After that i had regular automotive clear coat and wheel coating clear coat.
I did a practice piece a while ago with the gold and regular clear coat...then i added wheel coat on top of the clear coat on half of it and i liked the shine and the way it came out. So i decided to go ahead and on my pieces do 2 coats of regular clear coat, followed by 3 coats of wheel coating.
Reason i chose wheel coating is cause i know it gets hot under there and i felt like the wheel coating would handle the abuse better. BUT...the wheel coat has some metallic to it. On the gold it looks fine, but if you plan on doing a different color i would experiment first with it.

Painting the chrome emblem:
The piece is plastic. I had some wet-sand paper i had from something else i was doing so i just used 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sanded it. It just got a little hazy. Then i sprayed 3 coats of Adhesion Promotor. And about 4 coats of Black Engine Enamel (low gloss i believe it said on the cap). I love the way it came out...colors realy nice. That was it with the emblem. No clear coat or anything.

Tips:
-Supposed to wait till the paint gets tacky in between coats...some bottles might say wait 10 min. I had a old hair dryer with me. I would spray a coat and then lightly use the dryer to dry it a little quicker.

-The wheel coating should aid in more protection for under hood parts, but its really a pain to apply on large pieces. The spray nozzel is not like the rest and it's harder to get it even. At times some parts may look shinier than others.

-Take your time taping off everything. You wouldn't want to get paint on a spot thats not supposed to get painted. And you can use a screw-driver to push the tape in between the cracks...thats how i was able to get the gold all the way in the corners.

I am not a pro at this and this is just the techniques i personally used.

Last edited by EVO-to-G; 04-11-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
C@ciQ

Good job. I see you got some skills with the bottles. Those gold covers look real clean. You should get that ARC oil cap it will add to it.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good. did you sand the engine and battery covers first, or just spray adhesion promotor on them?

wheels look great!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a final picture of the engine cover?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:02 AM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by STOOF
looks good. did you sand the engine and battery covers first, or just spray adhesion promotor on them?

wheels look great!
didn't sand anything down...just about 3 coats of adhesion promotor then straight to gold. thanks!

Last edited by EVO-to-G; 04-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 AM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Got a final picture of the engine cover?
yea i actaully just removed the tape and plastic...the pics aren't the best cause its in my basement but you can see the basic of it.

and here is with the black emblem snapped in place...i think the black looks sweet compared to it being chrome...at least with this set-up.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:20 AM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by C@ciQ
Good job. I see you got some skills with the bottles. Those gold covers look real clean. You should get that ARC oil cap it will add to it.
thanks man. yea im really happy with how everything came out. just that the wheel coating is a pain in the a$$ to make it look even. I guess its ment for for spokes or something, it doesn't spray as nicely as the others. but i went ahead and did it anyway for added protection.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:20 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks sick. Next time you get to painting something think you could do a little DIY on it? I'm thinking about doing some stuff but have no clue where to begin with paints.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
C@ciQ

Amazing how it turn out. Good pick...Bro. Real Nice.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Looks sick. Next time you get to painting something think you could do a little DIY on it? I'm thinking about doing some stuff but have no clue where to begin with paints.
yea thats why i took pictures of everything i used, incase people were interseted. but i'll definitely do a little write up when i get a chance. prob be late tonight but i'll update this thread with exactly what i did on all those parts.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
g-starnyc

looks sick bro , great job !!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Veryy sexxxxxxayyyy I like!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 AM
heff

looks great man, i like how its comin together!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:51 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like it man. looks good but what happen to radiator shroud? you not painting that?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
He gonna get Status Elite duh

Quick Reply: Black/Gold Engine Bay & New Pics Of The G!