Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

very very very disappointed/mad/upset angry (paint issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah what kind of wheels are those?

and to your paint chipping problem... i've had my car since May of last year, i have no paint chips whatsoever, and i have 13 k miles on the car... i think you beat up your paint pretty bad from the winter... or so i'm guessing... but yes nissan paint is soft as hell
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Are those Mustang wheels on your car?
They aren't Mustang wheels- they are some sort of aftermarket wheels with winter tires on them. I have the same wheels on my car for the winter, bought them from the dealership when I bought the car. The Infiniti symbol on the center cap is just an overlay.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never have understood this "soft" paint issue. Every car on earth will chip if hit by a small rock or pebble at 70 mph. Period. You cannot compare to another car because it was not driven in exactly the same circumstances as the current one.

All I know is that I have owned all kind of different cars from Hondas to Dodges to BMW's, Pontiacs, Acuras, and Fords and every one of them has gotten chips, scratches and dings in them. I am on Honda, Acura, and BMW forums as well as here constantly and EVERYBODY thinks their particular brand has $hitty paint. Face it, cars just have a difficult life. They get beat on constantly, day-in and day-out. No paint is going to remain perfect forever (or even two months, given the right circumstances)....
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
car companies have been forced to use paints with less voc's and additives that harden the paint. majin is correct, and i agree that all newer cars have soft paint. i owned a g35 for two years (almost 9k miles) and i didn't get a single chip on the front bumper. i made sure never to tailgate anyone and to keep myself out of situations where i would be likely to chip up my car.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 AM
iLlmAtIc21390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I never have understood this "soft" paint issue. Every car on earth will chip if hit by a small rock or pebble at 70 mph. Period. You cannot compare to another car because it was not driven in exactly the same circumstances as the current one.

All I know is that I have owned all kind of different cars from Hondas to Dodges to BMW's, Pontiacs, Acuras, and Fords and every one of them has gotten chips, scratches and dings in them. I am on Honda, Acura, and BMW forums as well as here constantly and EVERYBODY thinks their particular brand has $hitty paint. Face it, cars just have a difficult life. They get beat on constantly, day-in and day-out. No paint is going to remain perfect forever (or even two months, given the right circumstances)....
Quoted for the mother fkin truth!!!

People need to stop whining about this paint problem. Get a clear bra problem solved. If your going to whine about chips and won't invest in a clear bra then too bad. I bet most of you speed.if your doing like 90 and a damn rock is coming towards u it's obviously going to chip it. I think some are forgetting we have plastic bumpers.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 AM
lakers8

they look like rsx wheels
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
333 4 ME

I have about 8000 Miles on my G and only 1 minor stone chip, that you cannot notice unless you scrutinize. The pictures of your car are terrible, and I can sympathize with you. If that were my car I would go ape ****.

Seeing as you did some driving in winter it stands to reason that it would suffer a little more wear and tear, but those pictures seem as though you drove through a sand storm in the Sahara.

The G37 is my first Nissan, and I was not aware of the soft paint issues. Just one more reason not to drive my car in winter. It really sucks when your brand new vehicle suffers damage so early in its lifetime.

Similiar thing happened to my wife's 2008 Acura MDX. We bought the truck last March (2008), and by end of April it had a cracked windshield. I took it back to the dealership and complained, and they ended up giving me an aftermarket replacement at cost, with a no charge install.

Well sure enough, about a month ago I am driving home from work and hear a small rock hit the windshield. I look to my right and what do I see, but another crack in the windshield, about 8 inches long. No time to even fix the thing before it spreads to the point of no return. Now I have to replace again.

I know our problems are not the same, and paint is much harder to fix than glass, but to a certain extent I can feel your pain. Just praying that someting similiar doesn't happen to my G.

Last edited by 333 4 ME; 03-18-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Achilles

I'm assuming that this car is an '08 model (no self healing paint)?

I have to disagree with ALL cars having soft paint. Nissan is very notorious for this. When a brand new car sits on the dealership lot with fingernail scratches ALREADY on the door handles, it's soft paint. Soft paint is in Nissan's DNA.

I have a 4yr old Chevy Cobalt with 81k miles (highway miles in county roads) that does not have the amount of chips on the paint that this Red one has. I can tap and poke at my paint with my fingernails all day long and no scratches. I've accidentally hit my doors with my keys and nothing. And this is a POS Chevy that cost a third of what the G costs.

Nissan's softa$$ paint for years and years has equated to EPIC FAIL!

I'm assuming this guy didn't know what he was getting into when he purchased a G?

Last edited by Achilles; 03-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Heat

paints sucks! We are all aware. Why would you replace you Enkei 19's with cobra rims and keep your Mt Fuji center cap?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by hotwheelneil
I bought my Red G37S 6MT back on January 15th (2 months ago). I live in Indiana and it has been a typical winter up here until last week. I went out and was finally able to wash and wax my car in the sunshine. Well, after wax, I just about flipped my lid. The nose, hood, and right side of my car is chipped up big time! The paint is one big swirl mark too!

I knew a couple weeks into ownership that the paint was horrible as far as swirl marks, but I had no idea I had nearly as many chips as I did. I have probably 20-30 chips on the hood and countless chips on the side of my car. I am furious. The worse part is in front of the rear tire (and on the door behind the front tire)

Here is in front on the driver side rear tire - after 2 months! Keep in mind this pic was taken after wash and wax!!

It feels like sandpaper.

What do I do? Has anyone else had this problem this bad?

Neil
You may not like my answer I have for you but I mean use alittle common sense on this one before we all say the paint sucks blah blah blah... Owning four infiniti's from two pearl white g35x, g35 6mt coupe, OB FX35 and my new G37s 6mt I will say the paint scratches quite easily but it isn't horrible.

If you drive up people's asses, through dirt, sand, or any road dirt especially at excessive speed if something comes up and hits the car its gonna chip the paint period no matter what car you drive or paint you have. First part of the car to have this kind of damage is the front bumper/hood and rear fenders above the 3m Clear coat. Solution 3M the front bumper and part or whole hood.

As for swirls halograms and light to medium scratches.... After 3 months of trial and error and educated myself on paint correction I now drive a car that is scratch and swirl free almost like a mirror. They come out.

Clay the Car

Buy yourself a porter cable 7424 a few LakeSide polishing pads, Poorboys SSR2.5, Poorboys Pro Polish, Poorboys Glaze (they have two dark and light colored cars) and Their Nattys Blue wax. Put aside a whole day to do this. Took me 12 hrs after I figured out wtf I was doing to get the paint corrected where the deep scratches swirls were out. Goto Youtube and search porter cable and Polishing. Never, ever, ever goto a carwash, use dirty clothes to wipe the car down. Or just pay someone to do paint correction for you.

Goodluck.

-JG
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I too have owned lots of different cars including a multitude of Nissan products since '91. Nissan paint is far worse than others as far as durability. I generally don't speed. I never tailgate and am quite cautious about road debris. My car is parked in a garage. I have more clear bra on my car than anyone on these forums. And I still have rock chips all over as well as scratches. Nissan clear coat is very delicate and lacks durability. I take exceptional care of my car and notice the details. Our paint is softer than most.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by Heat
paints sucks! We are all aware. Why would you replace you Enkei 19's with cobra rims and keep your Mt Fuji center cap?
Winter setup.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you ever considered going to one of those "Chip Doctor" paint repair places? It won't totally fix the problem, but they should be able to fill in the chips with matched paint so they're hardly noticeable unless you're on top of the car.....just a thought.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

You must live on a gravel road

I'm not sure how people end up with these dings and paint loss in front of the rear wheels. I have none. Maybe 'cause I don't have the mudflaps which may be inadvertently directing road spray into this area....

I have clear bra and my car is an '08 that is 19 months old now and I have no dings or chips whatsoever on my G. It is BO and can be a beast to protect as anyone knows.

Perhaps your whole car was resprayed before you bought it.....
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hotwheelneil
I bought my Red G37S 6MT back on January 15th (2 months ago). I live in Indiana and it has been a typical winter up here until last week. I went out and was finally able to wash and wax my car in the sunshine. Well, after wax, I just about flipped my lid. The nose, hood, and right side of my car is chipped up big time! The paint is one big swirl mark too!

I knew a couple weeks into ownership that the paint was horrible as far as swirl marks, but I had no idea I had nearly as many chips as I did. I have probably 20-30 chips on the hood and countless chips on the side of my car. I am furious. The worse part is in front of the rear tire (and on the door behind the front tire)

Here is in front on the driver side rear tire - after 2 months! Keep in mind this pic was taken after wash and wax!!

It feels like sandpaper.

What do I do? Has anyone else had this problem this bad?

Neil

I got no issues there but then again I got the place where all the pics are covered with 3M. The fender flare 3M piece for the FX fdits purfect over the affevted area. the combine that with the ricker and door sill 3M pieces and you are coovered.

Quick Reply: very very very disappointed/mad/upset angry (paint issues)