Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Engine Bay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Why are the air-intake and door-button chime brackets raw metal? Wouldn't these things look so much better painted? So I'm priming and painting these things in satin-black. Tried gloss-black on the door chime bracket, and I think satin would look better with all the black plastics.

Weird that they're not painted as OEM pieces.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:35 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by JPSBLACKG37
You guys need my painting skills to help you spice up your bays!

Once again JP, beautiful work.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 PM
ap0c0lypt1c

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just added the Cusco FSTB to my engine bay

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Jimmah

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's mine 2008 G35xS
Attached Thumbnails Engine Bay Thread-engine-1.jpg   Engine Bay Thread-engine-2.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Finally got engine bay just about complete, just waiting on a couple of finishing touches, here's some shots by photographer Alex Esperon from the Texas Imports Today meet yesterday~ all painting done by JPSBLACKG37

Name:  danny2_zpscd45b025.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  danny3_zpsa5cf2e08.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  danny4_zps9dac8798.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  108.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
Chasinggreg (03-28-2023)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Man that looks GREAT! And a b!tch to keep clean!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Yeah, it really does look fantastic. I love the blue in the recessed area at the front of the radiator cover. And of course, the beautifully painted engine cover, with matching gloss-black coolant overflow bin. Nice touch, that. Notice the gloss black battery/brake cover plastics, yet with the vertical pieces painted blue to match the rest... that's an excellent detail.

Reaching real hard for constructive criticisms, I think the spot of yellow on the radiator cap seems out of place. And there's one too many Stillen logos, to where I think I'd take the stickers off the mid-pipes, rather than turn the rubber couplings around. And purple fender washers?

But those are really minor comments, because overall this guy's engine bay is stunning. Truly something to be proud of.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Zydan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, it really does look fantastic. I love the blue in the recessed area at the front of the radiator cover. And of course, the beautifully painted engine cover, with matching gloss-black coolant overflow bin. Nice touch, that. Notice the gloss black battery/brake cover plastics, yet with the vertical pieces painted blue to match the rest... that's an excellent detail.

Reaching real hard for constructive criticisms, I think the spot of yellow on the radiator cap seems out of place. And there's one too many Stillen logos, to where I think I'd take the stickers off the mid-pipes, rather than turn the rubber couplings around. And purple fender washers?

But those are really minor comments, because overall this guy's engine bay is stunning. Truly something to be proud of.
Thank you both, pretty much everything you said I agree with, I have a new radiator cap that's coming in Friday so that part will be taking care of. I've also been contemplating removal of the stickers, pretty sure I'll do that Friday as well.

The dress up bolts are neo-chrome, they have a purple / blue tint depending on the light, I like them

Also probably going to paint the power steering reservoir, and the window washer fluid cap on the left as well and I think I'll be done.

Last edited by Zydan; 09-04-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zydan
Thank you both, pretty much everything you said I agree with...
You're welcome, Dan. Well done, sir. I also like how the dipstick loop and the coolant overflow bin cap are painted to match as well. Excellent detail.

So now I'm looking at the full resolution version of one of these pictures on your photobucket account. It looks like the lower section of the driver's side intake piping is seriously scratched up. Yikes! IDK what you do about that.

You might consider taking those T-Bolt clamps and turning them completely around, to where the hardware is underneath the piping, and the bolts are pointing towards the fenders.

I'm sure you can do a better job with the tape on the MAF wires. Try using a larger wire loom over what's there, flare it out at the MAF connection, then wrap it tightly with electrical tape.

Paint the door chime bracket something other than raw, galvanized steel.

Notice all the bolts on the strut towers that are part of various grounding wires and brackets... like circuit boxes, and the PS reservoir? You could replace those with SS or Ti, or anything really.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Zydan
Registered Member

You're welcome, Dan. Well done, sir. I also like how the dipstick loop and the coolant overflow bin cap are painted to match as well. Excellent detail.

So now I'm looking at the full resolution version of one of these pictures on your photobucket account. It looks like the lower section of the driver's side intake piping is seriously scratched up. Yikes! IDK what you do about that.

You might consider taking those T-Bolt clamps and turning them completely around, to where the hardware is underneath the piping, and the bolts are pointing towards the fenders.

I'm sure you can do a better job with the tape on the MAF wires. Try using a larger wire loom over what's there, flare it out at the MAF connection, then wrap it tightly with electrical tape.

Paint the door chime bracket something other than raw, galvanized steel.

Notice all the bolts on the strut towers that are part of various grounding wires and brackets... like circuit boxes, and the PS reservoir? You could replace those with SS or Ti, or anything really.
Yeah I scratched it up pretty good on install, was actually thinking about having them painted as well, but a lot of trouble to remove, ship and then put back...but may be worth it in the end.
Good idea on the clamps, that wouldn't be to much trouble, I think I'll do that as well

Was also thinking about a wire tuck, but then you're left with all the holes... the SS and TI is also a good idea~
The mods never stop, when you think you're done, you're never really done.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zydan
Yeah I scratched it up pretty good on install, was actually thinking about having them painted as well, but a lot of trouble to remove, ship and then put back...but may be worth it in the end.
Of you could find a local Powdercoat Shop. In that you live in/around Dallas, you probably have dozens of options there.

As for color... that Black Nickle finish on the R2C Intake is so-o-o pretty, you could get lost just staring at it. Here's mine:

Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Zydan
Registered Member

Of you could find a local Powdercoat Shop. In that you live in/around Dallas, you probably have dozens of options there.

As for color... that Black Nickle finish on the R2C Intake is so-o-o pretty, you could get lost just staring at it. Here's mine:

Wow yeah, that's super sexy~!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM
infinitiG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell yea those intakes are sexy
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Painted the engine cover again. Going for the whole Creamsicle thing now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (09-11-2013), Nico-derm (10-26-2016)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
So clean, gotta look in the freezer and see I have any Creamsicles now

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Thread