Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Engine Bay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree
Looks sick zoster! Only thing I'd recommend since you're getting into the little details with the bolts, is ditch the OEM hose clamps.
Be careful with that, however.

I posted here about a year ago about replacing my upper radiator hose clamps with stainless steel T-Bolt clamps. And while they looked fantastic, I had an intermittent coolant leak that I eventually tracked down to the radiator side of the upper hose.

And now I'm back to the OEM crimp-clamps. Sucks, but...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Looks sick zoster! Only thing I'd recommend since you're getting into the little details with the bolts, is ditch the OEM hose clamps.
Thanks TwoThree appreciate the compliment!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Be careful with that, however.

I posted here about a year ago about replacing my upper radiator hose clamps with stainless steel T-Bolt clamps. And while they looked fantastic, I had an intermittent coolant leak that I eventually tracked down to the radiator side of the upper hose.

And now I'm back to the OEM crimp-clamps. Sucks, but...
Rochester, good looking out because that is exactly what I was planning on getting Did you try the Samco clamps?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
Rochester, good looking out because that is exactly what I was planning on getting Did you try the Samco clamps?
No problem. The engine side of the hose was fine, just not the radiator side. I'm guessing because the at the radiator side, it's a plastic connection. IDK why for sure, all I know is I had to go back to stock. Took me forever to figure out where the leak was, and then I was kicking myself.

When you say "Samco clamps", I'm guessing you mean the worm-gear clamps with covers? I'm no fan of worm-gears, although I'm sure they're fully functional.

Something like this might look nice:

...or it might just look tacky. IDK.

You can see the SS t-bolt clamp I was using here. I could probably put this one back, since this wasn't where the leak originated.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No problem. The engine side of the hose was fine, just not the radiator side. I'm guessing because the at the radiator side, it's a plastic connection. IDK why for sure, all I know is I had to go back to stock. Took me forever to figure out where the leak was, and then I was kicking myself.

When you say "Samco clamps", I'm guessing you mean the worm-gear clamps with covers? I'm no fan of worm-gears, although I'm sure they're fully functional.

Something like this might look nice:

...or it might just look tacky. IDK.

You can see the SS t-bolt clamp I was using here. I could probably put this one back, since this wasn't where the leak originated.

Now that looks interesting but I was just referring to the ones they sell or offer on their website. Look like basic SS clamps but have rounded edges.

Do you know what sizes I need to get for the T-Bolt ones?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Do you know what sizes I need to get for the T-Bolt ones?
Nope. Pretty sure what I bought were 1.5" SS T-bolts from Silicon Intakes website, and they don't sell anything smaller than 1.5". I had to crank them all the way down, so if the radiator end was leaking, that means one of 3 things:
  1. They weren't small enough, so I couldn't tighten it properly.
  2. Or I actually over tightened it.
  3. Or the band width doesn't work right in our setup.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Funny you say that Rochester, I had a small coolant leak that was coming from somewhere after I replaced the hoses. It was hitting the belt and kicking it all over the place and it would always smell like antifreeze and I was like wtf for a few days. I pulled off my blue hose clam sleeves and tightened both the radiator and engine side of the upper radiator hose, and for the past week, no more leaking. I thought i had it tight enough, but I guess not. If you do go this route, just be careful not to over tighten, because like rochester said, the radiator side is plastic.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Funny you say that Rochester, I had a small coolant leak that was coming from somewhere after I replaced the hoses. It was hitting the belt and kicking it all over the place and it would always smell like antifreeze and I was like wtf for a few days. I pulled off my blue hose clam sleeves and tightened both the radiator and engine side of the upper radiator hose, and for the past week, no more leaking. I thought i had it tight enough, but I guess not. If you do go this route, just be careful not to over tighten, because like rochester said, the radiator side is plastic.
Thanks guys! I'll make sure to be careful with the plastic on the radiator side.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GTLAW

Nice....I want that Blue ARC cap....how much?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 AM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my contribution to this thread. Sorry for the pic quality, cell phone pics.

And last but not least a pic of my helper....

Will post better pics soon!
Zo, nicely done! I like the consistency with the color scheme. Its time to get a SE radiator cover homie.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RDDLINE
Zo, nicely done! I like the consistency with the color scheme. Its time to get a SE radiator cover homie.

Thanks Rudy, any idea where I can score one?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 AM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been out of the game for so long i dont know anyone anymore with them. Time to make offers to those that have it! Thats what i used to do for some of the parts i wanted.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Thanks Rudy....just noticed you changed your user name. Came through as RDDLINE last night...new name is fitting for your sick ride Mr. Dark Knight! We'll be in touch and try to make it out Friday to the meet.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Here are two better pics using a real camera

Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Ah... I'm liking that better now that I realize the car is Blue Slate.

Why keep the OEM intake brackets?

And that yellow dipstick handle is totally out of place. Paint that little guy Blue or Black.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Thread