Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tint % and Personal Preferances

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Frank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go wtih 20% personally. Id also check the local state laws regarding tints. In NY you cant have ANY tint on the front 2 windows. There's this misconception that 35's are legal so I got them... them got pulled over and had to take them off 4 weeks later.
I also had 20's and had no visibiltiy problems whatsoever.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov
That’s reassuring. For that matter, 5% tints on the sides or back are legal, at least in California.

Regarding 99% never coming close to injuring someone, please be reminded that the Captain of the Titanic crossed the Atlantic for 30 years and never hit an iceberg—until that last time of course.
5% is illegal in almost every state, especially Cali. It is also illegal to put any tint that is not stock on your windshield in nearly every state.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
No, like I said in another thread, I have the G (Geriatric) model. Here’s my car:

It comes with:

• Waterproof seats
• A cane rack
• In-dash hearing aide battery dispenser
• Owner’s manual in 20pt type
• Built in oxygen tank and mask
• Hard drive preloaded with fifteen Lawrence Welk CD’s

Wait a minute, sounds a lot like mine, so not everybody gets those?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
AndrewDDS

35% looks great all around!! It makes the car look a lot better than stock, and doesn't effect your night visibility at all. If you want to stay classy, then stick with >25%. IMO, unless you live in Cali or Florida (where even all the $400 beaters have 5% tint), than anything below 20% makes your car look ghetto.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
35% looks great all around!! It makes the car look a lot better than stock, and doesn't effect your night visibility at all.
I have to say your comment defies both the laws of physics and medical science and represents the standard rationalization argument I’ve heard here. With less light coming in, it has to affect your night visibility somewhat—unless you’re Superman, of course. Well Clark, if that’s the case, you don’t need a car at all; you can just fly to a destination.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Wait a minute, sounds a lot like mine, so not everybody gets those?
No, it’s only available by special order. And you have to show your Medicare card and proof of ARRP membership before they’ll give you one.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
AndrewDDS

Ok, so the old man is correct... I meant that 35% does not affect your night visibility nearly as badly as 20% or lower. I commute every morning in the dark and I don't feel that my 35% prevents me from seeing anything that I could see without tint. Score one for Chekov...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by ucla bruin; 07-12-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Heat

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
35% looks great all around!! It makes the car look a lot better than stock, and doesn't effect your night visibility at all. If you want to stay classy, then stick with >25%. IMO, unless you live in Cali or Florida (where even all the $400 beaters have 5% tint), than anything below 20% makes your car look ghetto.
I cant believe you said everyone >25% car looks ghetto.......you are obviously delusional. It actually looks very clean with dark tint, especially considering that black trim around the side back windows.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Heat
I cant believe you said everyone >25% car looks ghetto.......you are obviously delusional. It actually looks very clean with dark tint, especially considering that black trim around the side back windows.
Actually I said >25% is what I prefer (I have 35% for the record), and more than enough tint for my liking. Less than (or <) 20% starts to look ghetto, IMO. 20% is acceptable, but not my taste. I have never seen a car with 5% or limo tint and thought, "Wow, that looks clean and classy." I see 5% or limo tint and I think, "They're probably smoking rocks with their unregistered guns in there." Coincidentally, my cop friends say they think the same thing when they walk up to the side of a car with 5% or limo tint...
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Heat

ghetto would be having mirrored tint. I dont have 5% on mine but my husband has it on his back window only and it is extremely dark. He is used to it but I can drive his car at night. He also only drives it maybe once a month.

I have 15% and it is perfect. When the sun is out, or when you shine light on it, you wont be able to see through it from the outside very easily. But when it is dim outside, you can easily see people on the inside.

If cops wouldnt shine a bright a$$ light directly at your windows at night, than they wouldnt have a problem seeing in. obviously any tint is going to reflect bright light causing you to not be able to see in. I agree that 5% is too dark because even if you have a light on the inside, you still cant see in.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Wheyzilla

I appreciate all the input you guys gave me, but it does seem like im going a little bit darker on this one. I sat in a white g37s with 30% and an amethyst with 25%. I did not find any visual hindrance in the 5% variance. The 25% made the car look finished where i think any darker and you might as well sign me up for the next the fast and the retarded movie.

Thanks again on the great input.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 AM
jds

50/35 for me

I've had a lot of different tint combinations on cars. At this point, my vote is 50 on the front side windows and 35 on the back sides and rear. It's a huge step up in looks and comfort from stock, but doesn't really offend anyone (especially the cops).
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
aznutx

i got 30% it's good, can still back out fine at night
Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
willizm

I've got 100%. I don't like it, I think I'm going to go with 25% come spring.

Quick Reply: Tint % and Personal Preferances