Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
joey_v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by COMark
This popping sound you all are talking about, sounds a lot like what I had fixed. It only occurred when the car was flexed, such as turning into or out of a driveway that was angled up or down from the roadway. It almost sounded like glass cracking at the base of the windshield, from center of dash over to in front of the passenger seat. A tech went for a ride with me and we drove around, me behind the wheel, until we found the right conditions and were able to replicate. Took a while, but worth it. After the tech heard the noise a few times, he was able to locate the source and get it fixed. Just dropping the car off and expecting someone else try to find something like this will seldom produce a good ending.

Anyway, turns out it was the plastic trim around the outside of the front window that was snapping against the glass whenever the car was flexed just right. Not sure how he fixed it, but it's been gone for months now.

If this is the same problem, I'd suggest spending some time driving around the area where your dealer is located, until you can find the right spot to replicate the problem, then take a tech for ride
FOR SURE, there is a component that is temperature related... mine came back in full force a few days ago when temps here in Chicago were 30-40F.

But thanks for letting us know about the plastic component at the base of the windshield - I'll let my dealer know.

Joey
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is in being worked on now and they said that before they tear the entire dash and headliner out, they are going to re-seal the windshield, per Infiniti's recommendation. Infiniti Tech Line is aware of this and said that re-sealing the windshield has corrected most of the issues. I sure hope it does. I would rather trade the car in for a new one than drive one that the dash has been pulled out of- it would sound like a domestic rattle box then.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 AM
G37nS2K

i hear this sound whenever i get out or get into my driveway ,because there is a considerbly high bump, and whenever i get onto that bump i hear something cracking from my dash board area
Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Ahujadaddy

Dealer was annoyed at me reporting this. Said i need to stop going on the internet and reading about everyone's problems and then thinking i got it too.

I kept asking someone to sit in it with me, and see for themselves cuz it was pretty obvious. Never happened. Told tech about resealing windhsheild working for some ppl and the rubber/plastic around windsheild passenger side.

Also told that he could call Tech Line cuz apparently they were aware of the issue... he said, "in all my 15 years with Nissan/Infiniti that tech line has never once helped me with anything"

Result: Problem will hafta get worse before we do anything

time for me to call consumer affairs or maybe first try a diff dealer with whom i have no service history tho
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM
iinviktus

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
Dealer was annoyed at me reporting this. Said i need to stop going on the internet and reading about everyone's problems and then thinking i got it too.

I kept asking someone to sit in it with me, and see for themselves cuz it was pretty obvious. Never happened. Told tech about resealing windhsheild working for some ppl and the rubber/plastic around windsheild passenger side.

Also told that he could call Tech Line cuz apparently they were aware of the issue... he said, "in all my 15 years with Nissan/Infiniti that tech line has never once helped me with anything"

time for me to call consumer affairs or maybe first try a diff dealer with whom i have no service history tho
Wow, looks like contacting corporate about this dealership is much needed.

It sounds to me like the dealerships you guys are taking your cars to are horrible. My dealership know all about these issues AND knows how to fix them - WILLINGLY and QUICKLY.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles. Seems to me that if Infiniti wants to reach Lexus' 'tier', they've got to retrain their ****ty dealerships on what Customer Service is.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
FlyBar

I have this too

Hi

I have this noise too. Canadian version G37 sport 2008

Took it to dealer. They clamed it was components in dash rubbing. They put some foam in and said all good. A few days later sound came back. Took it back a second time and they put in new cowls. Seems better but still there. Might be a frame flex issue if so tsk tsk tsk Infiniti

We need to get this fixed or if not a refund or new car!

Other Issues worth a mention

1) Bad Seats (Leather went all wrinkley) Dealer replaced Seats covers
2) High pitched sound comming from passenger side area when engine goes above 1000rpm while parked. Dealer replaced alternator but problem still there. Told it was common issue and at moment no remedy.
3) Exhaust system had cracked mount which caused rattle (Dealer replaced mount) Fixed issue.
4) Air fuel ratio sensor failed (Dealer replaced) (Fixed issue)

BTW Car has less then 10KM on it

I am not upset with dealer as its not their fault. These are design flaws. Blame Infiniti engineers and poor testing/QA.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
FlyBar

Originally Posted by last lemming
I had an RX-8 as well, and the fit and finish were just as good (for the most part) as my G37S - better paint too. Sad part is the one thing I've been trying to "upgrade" as my purchases of cars costs me more and more is a car that doesn't have "creaks". I'm learings - late in life it seems - that its the cheaper cars (in general) that have less noises, not the the more expensive ones. Go figure. I hear Lexus has a good grip on quite cars, but how bland!! Except the IS-F of course.

BTW, I loved my RX-8 and would have kept it if it didn't get such crappy milage and not enough torque. STILL the best handling car I've ever owned.

Not to be an alarmist, but I think this thing might be similar to the "a" pillar issue. I could be broken or incomplete spot weld, but I have no proof, just another theory. BTW, does your dash make any NEW noise since they took it appart?
Nope none yet

Just creak and high pitched sound as before
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
yacoub

Wow, which dealer? Jim Coleman? JBA?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:10 PM
iiplus

Originally Posted by verybusy1
The popping noise is very temperature dependent....on the two times I took it in the weather was warm and it only did it once and they could not repeat it.......so far global warming seems to be affecting us in the most unimaginable ways!!! The dealer seems to be really trying and they are just as perplexed.
I started to have the same problem 6 weeks ago. My G37 coupe is 9 months old. My dealer changed clips, installed felt tape behind door speakers and center console. I picked it up temperature was 80 degrees, no noise. The next morning, temp 50 degrees, the noise was as loud as ever. Took it back and they removed dash, installed felt tape at every plastic on plastic junction, removed and tightened A pillars. It is somewhat better but I can hear it when vehicle is cold, rattles and pops. I have also begun to hear flex noise on the passenger when the vehicle is cold. I am not giving up, they must find a solution.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Mine started doing it again. It was parked outside in the sun, ~80 degrees or so. I got in it and started driving and it was popping big time. I alerted the dealership so that they can start looking for a solution before I bring it in for an oil change in a week or so.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't currently have this issue but I'll share some prior experience that may help and sounds very similar.

On my prior car after having the windshield replaced I immediately experienced a loud popping/creaking noise around the windshield. I brought it back to the glass shop to have them look at it as I though maybe the glass wasn't properly sealed to the car but they claimed nothing was wrong but the problem continued. I decided to investigate this myself and found that the molding around the windshield, which was made of plastic/rubber, was sticking to the fresh glass and under the right conditions (bumps, etc.) the molding would unstick and make the popping sound. I fixed this by spraying some silicone between the glass and the molding and the problem immediately went away and never came back.

Although these pops sound like they're coming from inside they usually come from the outside molding. That sounds like the reason why after the dealer tries to fix it from the inside with felt/etc. it comes back.

If you have nothing to lose, try this fix. The silicone won't harm the moldings or the paint.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 AM
tadpole

I am having the windshield noise problem for months. Dealer said windshield needs to be replaced. Seems to be fairly common. Most likely a factory problem, I was told. No charge for job.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Ahujadaddy

Wow... no new threads about this? Did the problem go away for the summer?

It's getting cold out there now, but regardless i still have this problem, and it's been there all summer. Just been way tooo busy to even sign on here or deal with it.

Anyone out there have any success stories with the dealer solving this problem for them?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Wow... no new threads about this? Did the problem go away for the summer?

It's getting cold out there now, but regardless i still have this problem, and it's been there all summer. Just been way tooo busy to even sign on here or deal with it.

Anyone out there have any success stories with the dealer solving this problem for them?

Mine started making noise today again. I don't know if I am going to have the dealership look at it, because the next step is to pull the entire dash out and adjust the mounting screws that mount the dash to the car, below the windshield. I know that by pulling the dash out, I am asking for more rattles and squeaks. So far, that is the only noise I have had in this car, which is great. All of my other cars, (Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Toyota) have been plagued with rattles and squeaks, so if this is my only one, I consider myself lucky.

The determining factor will be when I get the winter tires put on in a couple of weeks- if the sound is amplified then, like it was last year, then they are going to have to do something about it.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
COMark

I had this issue shortly after I bought the car. Dealer fixed it quick after I took a mechanic for a ride. The noise was caused by the plastic trim on the outside snapping against the windshield. Then it was a very crisp glass cracking sound that only occured when I made a turn into an up/down angled driveway or road that twisted the frame. After months of no more noise it's back. It came back after a vacation on which I took a short drive on a dirt road to get to a trail head - that shook the car up pretty good. Now the noise occurs when going over even slight bumps such as the seams in a concrete roadway. Replacing glass and pulling the dash seems pretty drastic and not likely to solve the problem. If the weather is nice this weekend, I'm going to give the silicon spray suggestion a try. Seems like a logical cure to remove the friction that may be at the root of this problem.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe