Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineSi
I've had this sound all winter. I think i have the A-Pillar issue as well. I'm at ends with this car. I think I'm going German. I'm tired of all the creeks and sounds.
This is what I've been saying. Why can't Nissan steal a few of the German engineers to fix this long- standing, notorious Nissan issue (Both A-pillar and dash).
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by Achilles
This is what I've been saying. Why can't Nissan steal a few of the German engineers to fix this long- standing, notorious Nissan issue (Both A-pillar and dash).
It's too late in my case. I've just had enough. I'm going to sacrifice some of the performance and get a 2009 A4. Beautiful car and the quality is top notch.

It's too bad. This car is a BLAST to drive, and looks fantastic. I just can't stand it in a $40,000 car.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Achilles

It's too late in my case. I've just had enough. I'm going to sacrifice some of the performance and get a 2009 A4. Beautiful car and the quality is top notch.

It's too bad. This car is a BLAST to drive, and looks fantastic. I just can't stand it in a $40,000 car.
I feel your pain bro.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
last lemming

before you jump on that A4 train, I own an Audi and it is by far the worst car I've ever owned when it comes to quality.

Our 2 year old car had all of these problems (this car is NOT abused):

1. stiching in leather seats coming appart
2. window buttons paint coming off
3. sun shades sunroof breaking (twice!)
4. door hardware pulling away from door
5. engine lights that have never been fully diagnosed
6. poping and creaking sounds galore form sun roof when chasis is felxed.

My point is if you think the grass is green, do be so sure. A fellow co-working has a 2 year old A4, and his tranny had some component that just went out. It's still under warranty, but if is goes out afte that it will cost him $1500.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by last lemming
before you jump on that A4 train, I own an Audi and it is by far the worst car I've ever owned when it comes to quality.

Our 2 year old car had all of these problems (this car is NOT abused):

1. stiching in leather seats coming appart
2. window buttons paint coming off
3. sun shades sunroof breaking (twice!)
4. door hardware pulling away from door
5. engine lights that have never been fully diagnosed
6. poping and creaking sounds galore form sun roof when chasis is felxed.

My point is if you think the grass is green, do be so sure. A fellow co-working has a 2 year old A4, and his tranny had some component that just went out. It's still under warranty, but if is goes out afte that it will cost him $1500.

Good luck!
Yeah, I know it can happen to all cars, but Audi, IMO, has made strides the last 5 years in quality.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
canadoc

Audi quality blows!!!1
I have owned an A4 as did my brother and 4 friends. Everyone of us had electrical problems rattles transmission and ignition coil trouble. I have the popping noise described here too and i am in mid winter in Montreal and suspect it is cold related. truth be told with radio and vents going i cant even hear it. trust me my Audi had far worse rattles.

we just want our g's to be perfect so we complain alot. Overall the car is great though I wish I could have the old voice commands and the ability to run the nav while driving but otherwise she rocks!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by canadoc
Audi quality blows!!!1
I have owned an A4 as did my brother and 4 friends. Everyone of us had electrical problems rattles transmission and ignition coil trouble. I have the popping noise described here too and i am in mid winter in Montreal and suspect it is cold related. truth be told with radio and vents going i cant even hear it. trust me my Audi had far worse rattles.

we just want our g's to be perfect so we complain alot. Overall the car is great though I wish I could have the old voice commands and the ability to run the nav while driving but otherwise she rocks!
What year did you own?

The problems and rattles I've had with my G in just over a year is out of control. Exhaust rattle, rattle from rear area that they couldn't find and I had to find my self and try to fix, TPMS went out 3 times in first month, rattle from glove box, rattle from middle dash, nav unit going black, popping from windshield area, rattle from a-pillar, severe flexing from a-pillar, flexing from sunroof area, very bad squeak from steering column and rattle from passenger seat....need I go on?

Oh yeah, and the drives seat formed a bubble after about 2,000 miles.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
canadoc

Well I had 2001, brother 2003 Friends had 2004 2005 2006
Everyone I know with BMW or Audi only lease cuz they fall apart as the warranty ends.

You had a first year model and well if yuo would see what happened with my 1st year 2004 nissan quest...........I have learned not to buy 1st year models....Sorry bout your problems.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by canadoc
Well I had 2001, brother 2003 Friends had 2004 2005 2006
Everyone I know with BMW or Audi only lease cuz they fall apart as the warranty ends.

You had a first year model and well if yuo would see what happened with my 1st year 2004 nissan quest...........I have learned not to buy 1st year models....Sorry bout your problems.
Any German car in the early 2000's was like that. They've done a lot to address these issues.

If I do get a 2009 A4, I will lease it. Lower payments plus the warranty. I've always financed, but you really only get an advantage if you keep the car past your 48, 60 months, etc. I'm too much of a car guy to keep a car that long.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
last lemming

Any German car in the early 2000's was like that. They've done a lot to address these issues.

If I do get a 2009 A4, I will lease it. Lower payments plus the warranty. I've always financed, but you really only get an advantage if you keep the car past your 48, 60 months, etc. I'm too much of a car guy to keep a car that long.
Well, our Audi is a 2004, and it has the problems, but I have also heard that with Audi's you get a great one or a horrible one.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Surfdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

First time post, long time reader. Hopefully this helps everyone and I apologize if this is has idea has been presented already.

I went to Willowdale Infiniti in Toronto and we figured out if we put a piece of foam at the front dash and the noise goes away, we know it is at the inside dash. If the noise does not go away, then we know that it is the outside of the car. Picture 2.

Dust can get under that plastic piece and that could cause enough separation to make these noises we're hearing. If that is the case, you can lift that and place a bit of foam there to stop that.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe-img00001-20090306-1716.jpg   Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe-img00002-20090306-1718.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SkylineG (04-09-2014)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 PM
canadoc

Yeah, I know it can happen to all cars, but Audi, IMO, has made strides the last 5 years in quality.
I have yet to meet an Audi owner whose vehicle isn't problematic.
I would steer clear.......
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
canadoc

what kind of foam u use?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
iinviktus

When I test drove the A5/S5 before picking up my G, I was horrified at the amount of Audi owners that came looking for repairs for small items within the 2 hours I was at the dealership. That in itself was one of the reasons I chose the G.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Surfdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what kind of foam it exactly is, but I'll ask next time I go in. We're trying to figure out if the noise is coming from the inside or outside of the glass. Once we determine which side of it, we'll replace that with a piece of black foam.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe