Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
G37ChadATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n_jay888
It might be true. Yesterday it was freezing in the morning and that thing kept on popping and was annoying me. Today the temperature was hotter and i didn't hear anything at all. It definately could be the weather IMO.
Originally Posted by daveindubai
If only it was that simple.... Dubai min 15 max 25 (winter) - pops whenever the road is less than smooth - speed makes no diff - pops at 20, 100 or 180 k's..

Sorry dudes - next idea?
Might have to do with cold exterior weather. Simply not the temp of engine or interior
Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone say it only happens in the morning when warming up the car?

Maybe it's the metal heating up, expanding. Is it a similar ticking sound you hear from underneath when you turn off the car?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
sanscu

I have a popping noise when my wiper is on. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
franknfire

I purchased mine in June of 08 and about three months in it started making the same noise. Anybody have any idea as to what it actually is. Is this a dealer issue?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Achilles

Wonder if this is happening on the '09's?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
wessg37s

Popping noise

I haven't had the chance to take the car in yet for an appointment. They keep insisting on making appts for this, but would rather just stop in one day when it is really doing it badly and let them drive it.

Plus the weather has been really crappy in the NE and haven't been driving it to much this time of year. As soon as i can get it in, i'll post what my dealer tells me..if anyone else gets this fixed please post!
thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:15 PM
ltcp

I have have the same problem of knocking problem around the front dash around the windshield. If fact for interior headliner noise this is the worst car I have owned. I have a 2008 G37S. The noise is most pronounced in cold weather. I live in Denver.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 PM
kayno

I have the same problem.. thought is was pebbles hitting the windshield.. or salt from the ground as a result of the snow.. but seems like thats not the case.. The heat however sounds logical.. cause it happens when my temperature is up..
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has been doing the same exact thing. It did it the entire way home on a 3 hour trip this past weekend, with exterior temps between 0 and 10. I'm going to try to get the issue addressed, but not sure I want Infiniti pulling my car apart again... It seems each time its pulled apart, something comes back damaged.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
rAvi665

I have the same problem. I think the windshield is loose because every time I go over a bump I push against the windshield with my hand and it doesn't happen...and every time i don't it does happen...annoying sound
Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
last lemming

While pushing may have something to do with it I seriously doubt the windshield is loose. Windshields arn't installed with clips or screws they are installed with a thick bead of structural silicon sealant. There is no way that is can come loose unless the sealant was a bad batch. And even if that was the case the sound I'm getting doesn't sound like loose sealant. On top of that the sealant is thermally stable so hot and cold wouldn't affect it. However this is not to say that the windshield doesn't expand and contract with temperature changes, and if another material such as plastic or metal was next to the window when this happened then it could make the noise, and pushing on it could potentially stop it.

Originally Posted by rAvi665
I have the same problem. I think the windshield is loose because every time I go over a bump I push against the windshield with my hand and it doesn't happen...and every time i don't it does happen...annoying sound
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
leeladisky

I have complained about this 5x to my dealer who heard it 2x, claimed they then couldn't replicate it and now they have actually told me, they won't work on it any longer - the techs are "fed up."

That's a quote BTW.

Signed,
My first AND last Infiniti
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
daveindubai

Mystery Solved

No sorry guys - don't have the answer to that popping sound and how to fix it BUT!

Things here in Dubai are starting to warm up - 2 weeks ago it was drivin me nuts when the mornings were 14-16 C - now we are into 20 Celcius plus at all times - no popping - at all - completely STOPPED.

It's a cold weather/heater thing.

Nit much help to fix it but at least narrowing down?

Cheers

D
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
verybusy1

Looks like we're not alone!

I guess it's a small world. My ex stopped by to show off her new Murano and let me take a test drive. Hit a bump (temperature was in the 20's) and I thought I was back in the G37! It looks like this a a common problem that cuts across all of Nissan's products. Here are some links that point to others ready to pull their har out:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=312687&page=1

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1c3858

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interio...le-squeak.html

Can anyone comment on the novel fix detailed in the 350Z forum?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
vINCe_Inc

damit. it happend to me for the first time yesterday.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe