Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maxtog
She said she WAS aware of such problems and she then replaced both front cowls under warranty (new parts), supposedly with foam under that, and it should never make the sound again. Of course it is now Summer so it wouldn't make the noise again for several months anyway.

But I will keep this thread updated.
I hate to possibly jinx it, but it does appear to be fixed, finally.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 PM
ichris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a date with Infiniti this Thursday. Might print this thread out and show it to the service person. I can see a thin gap between the cowl and windshield. I get the knocking left and right side.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM
ichris

Brought my car in today and they new about the pop. They said it is not covered under extended warranty since it a rattle sound. Charged for labor work which they cleaned the cowl and add silicone grease. I asked what of it gets dirty and grease dissolves over time. He didn't answer.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ichris
Brought my car in today and they new about the pop. They said it is not covered under extended warranty since it a rattle sound.
I don't know about extended warranty, but mine was covered under the regular warranty.... as it should be. Was far more than just a rattle, it was a loud whack/pop that was caused by a defective design.

Charged for labor work which they cleaned the cowl and add silicone grease. I asked what of it gets dirty and grease dissolves over time. He didn't answer.
You are quite correct. It sounds like they are not going to apply a permanent fix at all. Not much different than when I was spraying silicone all over the cowl every few weeks.

Thankfully, I have gone an entire winter pop-free with what I assume was the correct permanent fix the dealer used (replacing the cowling, and padding it). We will never know if Infiniti has an official stance on the issue, since there is apparently no ITB for it.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM
ichris

I got a year warranty so hopefully if it does come back, I'll tell then to order me the parts and not use silicone grease. BTW, I did use some silicone spray which prior to bring it in and it last a 3 weeks or so.
Originally Posted by maxtog
I don't know about extended warranty, but mine was covered under the regular warranty.... as it should be. Was far more than just a rattle, it was a loud whack/pop that was caused by a defective design.

You are quite correct. It sounds like they are not going to apply a permanent fix at all. Not much different than when I was spraying silicone all over the cowl every few weeks.

Thankfully, I have gone an entire winter pop-free with what I assume was the correct permanent fix the dealer used (replacing the cowling, and padding it). We will never know if Infiniti has an official stance on the issue, since there is apparently no ITB for it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
~Lefty~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My popping noise was covered under warranty.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM
ichris

Originally Posted by ~Lefty~
My popping noise was covered under warranty.
Was is under manufactured or extended warranty????
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM
~Lefty~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ichris
Was is under manufactured or extended warranty????
Yes, as I have the CPO 100k/6 year warranty. Since my dealership is failry new in my area, I was the first to come in with the problem. Since then they said they have fixed another 4 and have not charged anybody yet (even it their car wasn't under warranty). They figure it is a design flaw as well and want to keep the "new" customers happy. It doesn't take them long to fix it so they just bite the bullet. I'm very happy with my dealer so far.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Fixing with felt?

Any metal near where the felt is installed or all glass and plastic?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm gonna try this, its so annoying. Also windnoise at high speeds, sounds like there is a small hole near that area, a high pitch wind whistling noise.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Skeptic74

2011 G37xS Coupe

Of course, I own the car for 3 years before I finally stumble on to this post. It just recently became much more frequent and pushed me over my high tolerance threshold...
Got an appointment with dealer in a day, hopefully covered under original warranty! Thanks for all your troubleshooting efforts, glad to reap the benefits! :-)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
nothing has changed. Also had popping noise on my 06 coupe.

1st time I took it in, it turned out to be a lose bolt somewhere in the suspension.
- (Rear Suspension Components Slightly Loose).

2nd and 3rd time I took it in, turned out to be loose bolts in the sunroof rails.
Infiniti really messed up on this repair. Ruined my headliner, scratched rear leather seats and micky mouse the repairs.

The noise came back 2 months later. Took it to another dealership and they did the repairs again but this time, but locktite on the bolts. The 1st dealer was about to replace the entire sun roof, until I told them it could just be a lose bolt. lol

As for my scratched leather seat, they told me is was a "natural" leather defect.

And for my headliner, instead of replacing the damaged one with a new one. They krazy glued it back into place! You can see the poor job they did too.

Oh, when I brought my car in for the gas tank fill repair, they scratched my rear quarter panel. The entire panel was blended and you can see tiny dimples on the clear coat.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:35 AM
gian13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad i found this post. that popping squeaking noise coming from the bottom of the windshield is driving me crazy. i have 1.5 months left of basic warranty . i'm calling the dealership today.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I used a "P" shape weather stripping from a local hardware store. Gently pry the cowl up, and insert the thin part of the rubber strip. Then You just push it in the whole distance.
No popping for 2 years now.

Name:  image_3.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  18.5 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Abramite:
Al Czervik (11-06-2015), VIVID (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 2011 and I have the same issue as well.

I thought it was some small rocks that got stuck but I can't seem to find the source of this noise.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe