Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Window Cowl for sure it makes noises and most likely is the issue for most here. I'm shocked this isnt a full blown TSB by now!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to add to the info that now that the temps are much warmer outside, the popping has stopped again. So, for me, at least, it is very much temperature related.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Dzil
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooranzoo
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y64uVTW54TE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

Im currently, having this issue and already took it to the dealership and was unsuccessful in fixing this problem I have. I will take it to them and inform them of the issues found in this thread.

Let me know if this is the same. Thx
My car, 2008 G37s coupe, just started making this sound a week ago. It's the type of sound you hear when removing a suction cup from a window, like a radar detector, at least for me. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow so I can have it worked on under warranty. A couple of weeks later and I'd be out of warranty.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
maxtog
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dzil
My car, 2008 G37s coupe, just started making this sound a week ago. It's the type of sound you hear when removing a suction cup from a window, like a radar detector, at least for me. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow so I can have it worked on under warranty. A couple of weeks later and I'd be out of warranty.
Please let us know how it goes. I have been pop-free all summer, and just as soon as it started getting cold again, it is back The silicone spray trick still works, but it is very temporary, only lasting a few weeks (if that). At least you can go to the dealer armed with knowing YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Dzil
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maxtog
Please let us know how it goes. I have been pop-free all summer, and just as soon as it started getting cold again, it is back The silicone spray trick still works, but it is very temporary, only lasting a few weeks (if that). At least you can go to the dealer armed with knowing YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
"Knowing YOU ARE NOT ALONE.".... and thank goodness! It was time to replace my wiper blades and my owner's manual said how to replace them but I didn't see the size. I started to Google 2008 g37s windshield... and the first thing that autopopulated the search field was "2008 g37s windshield popping." If it weren't for this forum popping up, I wouldn't have known it was a common issue.

Wednesday is the soonest the dealership can get me in so it will be a few days before I'll know. It warms back up to the 70s this week so hopefully the sound occurs for them, or hopefully they're familiar with it. If they don't know about the problem, then I'll let them know it's a widespread issue. Any other known issues to have them look at before the warranty expires?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dzil
"Wednesday is the soonest the dealership can get me in so it will be a few days before I'll know. It warms back up to the 70s this week so hopefully the sound occurs for them, or hopefully they're familiar with it. If they don't know about the problem, then I'll let them know it's a widespread issue.
Bump! And welcome to 2012!!

Any new info from anyone on the windshield popping noise? Anyone had a new dealer fix experience? Any self-fixes fail yet?

My dealer still insists they have never heard of this issue before (which I find hard to believe). I can't be the only customer to have complained about it. I have been lazy and waiting for something else to go wrong before taking it in, so I still resort to the silicon spray after every wash or hard rain.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
J. Dub

Is it only on the 2008's?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
joey_v

My windshield has been doing great since I had my dealer lube the cowl. I had them re-lube it again just this past summer and it's doing fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
oldquarks

My 2011 has been doing this since it started getting cold. The dealer finally fixed it (mostly) on the second trip. He says it was the cowl trim which they fixed by putting a piece of foam tape behind it. Unfortunately, they only did one side and the other side does it occasionally when going over a bump. Silicon spray in the spring.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I get a similar noise.. Can you take a picture of where they put this foam tape?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Dzil
Registered Member

After numerous trips to the dealership, and informing them that the sound is coming from the cowl, my car is still making this sound. Granted, the sound is a little quieter and less frequent. They thought air pressure and a bad seal may be causing air to leak in/out, creating that popping sound. I believe they even went as far as taking the windshield off to make sure it was fitted right. To be thorough, they also inspected the sunroof. Still pops. Saw Oldquarks post, it's a shame to hear that the 2011 models are having the same issue.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
bjm

I have been watching this thread for a long time and thought I would share what I did. My 2009 had this same problem entering the first winter I had the car. A lot people were getting temporary relief by spraying lubricants under the plastic cowling at the base of the windshield. I did not want to do that, so I removed any of the cowling plastic pieces that touched the bottom edge of the windshield. All the pieces have plastic easily removed plugs fasteners. With the pieces removed I put a very small smear of white lithium grease on any of the contact points where the plastic would touch the car. One of them would have required removal of the driver wiper arm, so I just lifted its edges to lube it. When I say a smear, I mean truly a hint of grease. Where these pieces lay on each other I put grease on one of the pieces. Then I reassembled the pieces onto the car.

I did this 2 years ago and have not heard a single peep since. I cured it seemingly permanently.

The dealer can stuff foam tape in there but dry foam tape that is flexible enough is also thick. Unless you are going to use a lot of it, they are probably just doing it in a few spots. With the grease, there is no mess and you can easily apply it to every little piece.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
clownshoes

Originally Posted by maxtog
Bump! And welcome to 2012!!

Any new info from anyone on the windshield popping noise? Anyone had a new dealer fix experience? Any self-fixes fail yet?

My dealer still insists they have never heard of this issue before (which I find hard to believe). I can't be the only customer to have complained about it. I have been lazy and waiting for something else to go wrong before taking it in, so I still resort to the silicon spray after every wash or hard rain.
2009 G37S

Mine was popping. Took to Gunn Infiniti. They replaced the cowl liner/trim. The noise is still there but not nearly as bad. Used to make noise on body flex. Thats gone, now its only on really bumpy roads.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Rexenator

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post
I just put up a DIY for this very problem. Check it out and let me know if you have questions:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post3352708
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Oki370GT

Originally Posted by ooranzoo
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y64uVTW54TE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

Im currently, having this issue and already took it to the dealership and was unsuccessful in fixing this problem I have. I will take it to them and inform them of the issues found in this thread.

Let me know if this is the same. Thx
I just stumbled across this thread...my car makes the same noise as this video. Is this the same noise that everyone else is experiencing?

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe