Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ can you and anyone else take some pics of what your talking about... if possible. like the location and such.

would REALLY appreciate it
Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
COMark

fixed!!

At least it seems that way.

Sprayed some WD40 along the bottom of the windshield, where the plastic hits it. On the outside, not inside. I haven't had any popping noises since.

Anyone else tried this?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
gthal

^--- worked for me too.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed this today and the temp here in austin texas is about 28F
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 AM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting real cold nowadays and its popping quite loudly now. going to get some silicone spray and try this. quick question, are you guys spraying the bottom corner of the windshield where the bottom plastic meets the a pillar plastic? or is it basically under the a pillar plastic where it touches the glass?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
hawkeye98

I just picked up my 09 G37xS last week and made sure the car didn't exhibit any squeaks or rattles prior to taking delivery (learned my lesson with my '05 coupe). Car was perfect for the first week, but then this week I started getting the infamous dash/windshield noise that is being discussed in this thread. I'll try applying some lubricant to the outside to see if that works. As a side note, I owned an 06 GS430 at one pt and that car had the same problem. The dealer was able to reference a TSIB and the issue was resolved. FWIW, here's the TSIB.

LexusTSB.com - Free Lexus FAQ, TSB, TSIB, Repair, and More! TSIB SS002-07 2003 - 2007 MODELS UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE
Old 01-01-2010, 03:28 AM
joey_v

As I mentioned in another thread - take your G37 to the dealer and have them repair the squeek instead of bandaid repairing it yourself with wd40.

Have the dealer remove the lower windshield cowl and relube with silicone after thoroughly cleaning it.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
bjm

I am glad I found this thread. I have a 3 month old G37xS sedan. Once the weather fell below freezing, my car developed this strange clicking popping sound. Mostly it came from the driver side bottom of the windshield but also about 25% of the time it was in front of the passenger.

While cold was a major factor I went through a car wash and the problem got a lot worse. It is well below freezing here so when it is below -10C, there are no noises at all. I figure everything is thoroughly frozen when it is that cold. Around the freezing mark it starts making the noises again.

Has anyone tried removing the cowl themselves? I yanked all of the pop out plugs easily enough and the battery and brake covers came free with a mild tug. It looks like the plastic cowl piece is pinned at the sides with a rubber seal that has two plugs holding it in. Is there a trick to getting the rest off?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bjm
I am glad I found this thread. I have a 3 month old G37xS sedan. Once the weather fell below freezing, my car developed this strange clicking popping sound. Mostly it came from the driver side bottom of the windshield but also about 25% of the time it was in front of the passenger.

While cold was a major factor I went through a car wash and the problem got a lot worse. It is well below freezing here so when it is below -10C, there are no noises at all. I figure everything is thoroughly frozen when it is that cold. Around the freezing mark it starts making the noises again.

Has anyone tried removing the cowl themselves? I yanked all of the pop out plugs easily enough and the battery and brake covers came free with a mild tug. It looks like the plastic cowl piece is pinned at the sides with a rubber seal that has two plugs holding it in. Is there a trick to getting the rest off?
I took off the passenger side cover to get to the passenger side cowl, but the drivers side cowl was too much work for me to take off. You would have to remove the drivers side windshield wiper. Using wd-40 only works temporarily. The best thing to do is go to your dealer and have them relube the cowl or find a way to take off both the passenger and drivers side cover, then relube.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
hawkeye98

I applied some lubricant to the cowl area and it resolved it temporarily (for only a couple of days). I took it to the dealership this past weekend to have them fix it properly. Thankfully they were able to recreate the sound, unfortunately after spending 4 hours tinkering w/ the cowl, cleaning, and adding a ton of foam padding around the dash and winshield area, they were not able to resolve it (I went on test drives with the service tech each time after they thought they had it resolved). The techs are finally throwing in the towel on this one and they will have a professional windshield installer come in to remove the windshield and reset/reseal the whole thing. To the dealer's credit, they tried long and hard to resolve the problem (had 3 guys working on it) and are now taking the correct steps to (hopefully) ensure that the problem gets resolved. For you guys in the Chicago area, the service dept at Fields Infiniti in Glencoe is great and I'm confident they'll get this resolved for me.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
YaMajesty

subscribe
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
bjm

For 2 weeks now I have been driving with the covers off and all the button fasteners removed. So far there have been no pops through temperatures from +5 deg C down to -20 deg C.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
aexis

Resolved this issue as well. Had both the squeaking sound as well as a "popping" sound coming from front drivers side. The squeaking sound was coming from the gauge cluster glass/gauge cover, and the popping sound I presume was coming from the windshield cowl/windshield glass.

I sprayed silicone lube into the front of the windshield cowl as others have to temporarily get rid of the popping sound.

The dealer then replaced the gauge cover to get rid of the squeaking sound.

All in all it took about a month to diagnose and repair but with the knowledge in this thread one should be able to fix it on their own much sooner.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
d999

dash rattle

Frontier Infiniti took off the cowl under the wipers and it was filled with all sorts of dirt, etc, they clean it, lubricated it and put rubber tape on the window then reassembled.

NO MORE NOISE!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 AM
juliawells

hiiiii

I'm ready to pull my hair out as this is the ONLY issue I have with the car....it wouldn't be so bad for the fact that the car is just so quiet!

chapter 13 bankruptcy Riverside

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe