Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fuel Door Blew Off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
So they couldn't just replace the piece that broke? They had to give you a whole new door and paint it? I thought you said it was some plastic piece? I'll have to take a look later to see what all is back there and how it is made, but I would have thought you could have reused the old door. A new painted one most likely will not match perfectly.

Make sure you get to keep that old door.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
So they couldn't just replace the piece that broke?...A new painted one most likely will not match perfectly...
The door and the hinge assembly are all one injection-molded piece of plastic. The flat door is affixed to the hinge by four little plastic flanges. Those flanges broke away from the door cleanly on mine. I probably could have super-glued it back on, or even epoxied it in some way, but for $157 I'd rather have it done right.

As for the paint match, I don't even wanna talk about it. My Stillen splitter is already darker than my BS car, and I'm afraid the fuel door will be the same way. If it's not a perfect match, the Infiniti Body Shop said they'll have to blend the quarter panel, which makes a simple fuel door replacement a crazy-expensive repair.

I asked for all the broken parts back, so if the paint match is terrible then I'm gonna going to glue the original door back to the original hinge and replace it myself.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^Don't let them "blend" in your quarter panel..........
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
I asked for all the broken parts back, so if the paint match is terrible then I'm gonna going to glue the original door back to the original hinge and replace it myself.
Well that sucks to hear. I like your idea of keeping everything just in case. They have a number of super advanced epoxies out there now, so you might have fun researching that.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^Don't let them "blend" in your quarter panel..........
If you know anything about it, enlighten me! I have never even heard of such a tactic for paint-matching a body part. It seems like a completely unnecessary procedure when simply mixing the correct color would be a lot cheaper and easier. Do they strip down the quarter panel and repaint it entirely? Or do they just spray over whatever is there already? Is this commonly done?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Yes, it's commonly done to do just what it says, "blend" the surrounding area to trick your eye into thinking that it all matches by moving the change in color to a wider field. And yes, it involves prepping the surrounding area for paint as well. Have them paint the door to match 20 times if necessary to match as close as possible and if it were me I would accept the closest match and live with it.

I have had two cars repaired and the blended areas on both lost the clear coat after a year and had to be completely redone. One was an Acura and the other one a Mercedes. They were never the same.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
if it were me I would accept the closest match and live with it.
As much as it kills me, that was my plan all along. Luckily with BS, it shouldn't be too obvious. My Stillen splitter was way off until I installed it on the car; now I don't even notice the poor color match anymore. So hopefully it'll be close enough that no one else will notice it except me.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I think you can get the color close enough, plus it is seperated from the quarter panel and that will help. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Meltdownblitz
Registered Member

Wow that's an interesting situation. Hope that door matches your car, it would suck for it not to match. I'd flip out if it didn't match, especially if your paying them your 150 or somethin to replace it!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
AndrewDDS

Update: Just picked the car up. The new fuel door matches perfectly and it came pre-painted!! So the total cost was only $118 (not bad at all). They also reset the window stop on my driver's side window, which put an end to the wind noise and hopefully the water leak. All-in-all, my dealership is definitely growing on me. They did a great job with these repairs, and did it in only one day. And they came and picked me up and dropped me off.

It probably helped that the service manager and a few other guys standing around complimented me on my LED interior lights and Stillen splitter. There's no better customer service than complimenting one's car!!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Update: Just picked the car up. The new fuel door matches perfectly and it came pre-painted!! So the total cost was only $118 (not bad at all). They also reset the window stop on my driver's side window, which put an end to the wind noise and hopefully the water leak. All-in-all, my dealership is definitely growing on me. They did a great job with these repairs, and did it in only one day. And they came and picked me up and dropped me off.

It probably helped that the service manager and a few other guys standing around complimented me on my LED interior lights and Stillen splitter. There's no better customer service than complimenting one's car!!
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. It was quite the thread to follow for the past few days.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Another happy customer!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
dagobah2003

My fiancee bought her FX35 from Costa Mesa Infiniti. She got her 30k service from Cerritos Infiniti and she got a loaner. We drove that sucker for 8 hrs. She made an appointment on the phone and was told a loaner to be given to her. So, no way could they have known she was my fiancee.....I bought my G37 from Cerritos.

I guess, at least Cerritos Infiniti, does take care of Infiniti owners regardless where they buy their Infiniti
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Glad to hear everything is fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Meltdownblitz
Registered Member

Glad your problem is fixed as well, Happy new year!

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Blew Off!