Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 AM
amusemeok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights?

I tried to check if this question has been asked before to no avail.

I have those ugly *** conventional daytime runners and there is absolutely no way to turn them off, at least in an apparent method. I've heard that the Canadian G's have this feature.. it's just annoying to not be able to turn it off.

I guess the partial solution would be to change the bulbs to an HID style, so it doesn't look as tacky.

Anyone else out there find any way to disable, or pics of the bulbs changed out?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are tons of pics of the city/parking lights changed out to white LEDs. Just search around. I don't think there is a way to "disable" it other than to physically remove the bulb, in which case you might as well just swap it with white bulbs.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
DRL's are required by law in Canada, it's illegal to disable them. All you need to do if you hate the color is swap them out to a whiter colored bulb. LED's will probably burn out quickly from the heat in the headlight housing. I have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs which are close in color to 6000K HIDs.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure you have DRL???? this car does not come standard with DRL...do you have a canadian model??? and are you sure your headlights are turned off and your foglights are turned on??? if your fogs are on then you wont see the city light
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
amusemeok

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
are you sure you have DRL???? this car does not come standard with DRL...do you have a canadian model??? and are you sure your headlights are turned off and your foglights are turned on??? if your fogs are on then you wont see the city light
first of all, i don't know if it's a Canadian model, i am very close to Canada (right on the water of Puget Sound).. so it's possible.

second, perhaps i'm a tard, but i do have a switch that looks like a foglight switch, and i've change it's position but it doesn't seem to do anything. i have 2 friends who have the G37S and they don't have the daytime runners.

my car is in the shop right now getting repaired from my accident, so i can't mess with it at the moment.

anywho, i guess swappin out the bulbs will make it look less tacky.

thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
nogoodname
Banned

why do you not like it, what's the big deal about it

be proud of the DRL or just ask the dealer you bought it from to remove the DRL since you are in the States
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely sounds like you must have a canadian model. American G's don't have the running lamps. On you headlight control stalk there is a little ring of sorts that controls the fog lamps. When you get your car back look on the regualr turn signal/head light stalk and there you should find the little ring that selects the fog light settings.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 AM
amusemeok

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
why do you not like it, what's the big deal about it

be proud of the DRL or just ask the dealer you bought it from to remove the DRL since you are in the States

they're ugly, i don't want the lights on all the time.

lol, what's to be proud of?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 AM
drjspecv

Seriously though if your driving around you can't even tell that they are on because you are in the car.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
pics of these DRLs?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a canadian model for sure. even if he had fog lights on with a us model they will only come on when headlights are on as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I guess I didn't read the OP closely enough. When I think about it, I seriously doubt that he has a Canadian model in the US. It's more likely as the OP stated that he doesn't know how to properly operate the light swithch to turn off the fog lights or parking lights.

If it were a Canadian model, wouldn't all the units of measurement be in metric units instead of imperial? Also, wouldn't the speedo be marked primarily in kph vs mph? I haven't seen a Canada model so I don't know for sure, but it seems likely. Where's our resident Canadian post ****** on this?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
w0ady

i think hes talking about the parking lights...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
amusemeok

Originally Posted by drjspecv
Seriously though if your driving around you can't even tell that they are on because you are in the car.
So if I glued Billie Bass the Singing Fish to the bumper of your G37, and you didn't like it, would you still make the same statement? I mean, c'mon, you can't see it when you're driving, right?

My point is, I don't like not having the option of turning my lights off when I want to.

Also, I can't post pics of it because my car is in the shop for the next couple weeks.

For the record, the Singing Fish on the front of a car would be awesome, just not on our cars.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Comatose

I bought my car from WA, so its possible you may have picked up something that was intended/modified for a cdn customer that backed out?

Anyway, take a peek under the hood and at your battery, and see if you can spot a relay thats is clearly visible. If there is, follow the wiring and there should be an inline fuse somewhere -- find that and pull the fuse out.

Quick Reply: Help Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights?