Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...

Mainly for those who didn't use those ugly turnbuckles...

Does the splitter seem to point a little high?

I noticed that mine seems to a bit and that when I washed the car, water was caught up on it.

I called Stillen and was told it sits up high a tad. So I was wondering if this is true for any of you guys who have it installed on your G's.

I would imagine on a car lowered this might point straight since kits like Eibach lower the front more than the back.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry but what does lowering the car have to do with the angle of the splitter? isnt it just mounted to the bumper?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
bfranks

If the front drops more then the rear, then it will change the angle of the splitter. But with the difference you are talking about (tenths of an inch) I doubt you would even see it.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcaliper
Mainly for those who didn't use those ugly turnbuckles...

Does the splitter seem to point a little high?

I noticed that mine seems to a bit and that when I washed the car, water was caught up on it.

I called Stillen and was told it sits up high a tad. So I was wondering if this is true for any of you guys who have it installed on your G's.

I would imagine on a car lowered this might point straight since kits like Eibach lower the front more than the back.

Pics?? So far, I've only seen one splitter slightly anlged upwards. The rest have looked straight, even without the turnbuckles.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
chamelieon

mine sits perfectly straight ..at least it seems that way. ill take some pics and post em up!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

I'll post some pics tomorrow (Saturday). Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by w0ady
sorry but what does lowering the car have to do with the angle of the splitter? isnt it just mounted to the bumper?

Yeah it is mounted to the bottom of the front fascia.

I was just wondering if; the splitters where slightly tilted upward from factory when mounted on the car and if you had a lowered car to begin with you may not have noticed the slant, because I assume that the front suspension sits a tad lower than the back does on most lowering kits.

Pictures will tell tomrrow...
Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Sorry for delay... one beer led to another yesterday.

Here are the pics....

Isnt that noticable as in person. LOL! Im quite sure when I lower it it will look perfectly even...but funny thing is it looks a little more even lately.

Last picture from above is to show its installed properlly. They are easy to install.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 01-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
w0ady

looks like thats because of the curve of the bumper.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for delay... one beer led to another yesterday.

Here are the pics....

Isnt that noticable as in person. LOL! Im quite sure when I lower it it will look perfectly even...but funny thing is it looks a little more even lately.

Last picture from above is to show its installed properlly. They are easy to install.
Putting mine on tomorrow and I have Eibach Pro-Kit already. It just seems a bit strange without lowering....at least to me.

Regarding rake after drop, take a look at this post: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/185326-eibach-pro-kit-results-close-up-pictures-of-results.html. I went from +5/8 front higher than rear to -1/4 front lower than rear. It looks much better to me that way.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
HamstersG

Couple of Things About My Install of Spliter

Installed my splitter today. Overall, very nice looking out of the box.

Picture 1. In the test fit, it matched up very well except for the corner on the passenger side. I tried a couple of screws but could not get it to pull tight enough to fully close the gap that I circled. Now the gap was very minor. No one but me would probably have known it was there, but I was also worried about not getting it snug since I did not want to use the turnbuckles. I could push it closed, but the screws just would not pull it closed before spinning.

Picture 2. So in the corner I figured out that I could get my fingers up behind the lower part of the bumber. So I used two small #10 x 3/4" bolts and nuts. This pulled everything real tight and made it fit perfectly. I just held the nut with my fingers and turned the screw to tigthen. I did not have to do this on the dirvers side as it fit perfectly, but did it anyway just for extra strength.

Picture 3. The screws provided by Stillen are #10 x 1". I bought some more of same size, but could not find black. So used Stainless Steel. I also bought some #10 Zinc washers to use on all the screws and bolts. While they should not rust, I wanted to give them a little help and make everything all black. So painted all the screw heads and washers with Rustoleum Flat Black. Last picture is all done. Total of 13 screws and 4 bolts. Solid as a rock.
Attached Thumbnails ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...-gap-passenger-side.jpg   ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...-put-two-bolts-in-corners.jpg   ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...-finished-flat-black.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (06-17-2021)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
w0ady

nice install pics. damn thats a lot of screws though lol. i just had 6 holding my old g35 lip on with some double-sided tape.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

LOL! I put on 18 screws including the self tapers.

Purchased a couple of stainless steels at Homedepot.

I had to put that many cause I had the dreaded thought of it being ripped of at high-speed and then get out of car to see part of my bottom bumber went with it LOL! So I decided It would be safe screwed on good.

But my screws are a bit further back cause I was worried if you put it too close to the curve of the bottom fascia it will really point up.

So hamdavid, does it look straight to you since you've got the Eibachs on?

Pics Dude?

Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-25-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
HamstersG

So hamdavid, does it look straight to you since you've got the Eibachs on?

Pics Dude?
Pretty close. You have to get down on the ground to see any angle. If the splitter is attached firmly and in the right place, it is going to have just a very slight upward angle just due to the way the bottom of the bumper flows. You do not see any angle when just walking around looking at it. I really like it. Here are two pictures which are the best I can do tonight.
Attached Thumbnails ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...-splitter-higher-view.jpg   ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...-splitter-side-view.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember to that you guys are installing them without the turnbuckles, which can help dial in the angle (as the product was designed).

That being said, I really do like the look without them as well as with them.. lol..

Quick Reply: ?Question for Stillen Splitter Owners...