Body Interior Exterior Lighting

LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Meltdownblitz
The light cracked the mirror or you did it while installing the light??
there is a white plastic strap that covers the light bulb on the vanity mirrow. Removing it was not a problem, but when I started to put it back on, it cracked the mirrow. Basically , there are 4 clips that hold the white plastic strap in place: one on the far left side, one on the far right side, and two in the middle. Well, these two in the middle push against the mid part of the mirror when you are trying to insert it back in and that's what cracked the mirror. The solution is to sand these clips down a little. The other mirror did not crack, but it definitely could have since it was tough to stick the white plastic strap back in.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:18 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Guys, how do you clean roof fabric from dirt? Is there a solution to remove dirt or stains?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:16 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delfin2003
so I replaced a bulb in one of the vanity mirrors with a festoon LED and it cracked the mirror! WTF!? Think dealer will replace it?
Go to a junkyard and take a mirror from another car then have it cut to size. Someone has done this before and it's a much cheaper solution.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psyh
Go to a junkyard and take a mirror from another car then have it cut to size. Someone has done this before and it's a much cheaper solution.
Good idea, but couldn't you do that with any mirror from a glass/mirror shop?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hamdavid
Good idea, but couldn't you do that with any mirror from a glass/mirror shop?

it was me i f'd mine up. the isses with the glass shop is there is no one tht carried the mirror that thin and it needs to be thin to fit in the clips.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
shumby

there is a white plastic strap that covers the light bulb on the vanity mirrow. Removing it was not a problem, but when I started to put it back on, it cracked the mirrow. Basically , there are 4 clips that hold the white plastic strap in place: one on the far left side, one on the far right side, and two in the middle. Well, these two in the middle push against the mid part of the mirror when you are trying to insert it back in and that's what cracked the mirror. The solution is to sand these clips down a little. The other mirror did not crack, but it definitely could have since it was tough to stick the white plastic strap back in.

dealer has to order the whole visor and it is like 150 bones. I will find the thread that i tell how to fix it hold on.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
shumby

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...le-ticked.html

check this thread out
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all your help. I tried pulling the visor apart, got ti open somewhat, and then using high power led flashlight, I was able to see two screws that hold both sides together. So to my best knowledge, you can not do it without breaking some of the internal plastic. But, anyway, long story short, got a visor on ebay for $85 shipped. SHWEEEEET. Btw, the dude at the parts department of my dealer wanted $544 for sun visor assembly and he told me it was special order. Does that sound like a bit much?! NO F*CKING WAY I WAS GOING TO PAY THAT MUCH.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Dealer likes to charge double for everything.

Ebay > Dealer
Old 12-19-2008, 02:09 AM
shumby

Thanks guys for all your help. I tried pulling the visor apart, got ti open somewhat, and then using high power led flashlight, I was able to see two screws that hold both sides together. So to my best knowledge, you can not do it without breaking some of the internal plastic. But, anyway, long story short, got a visor on ebay for $85 shipped. SHWEEEEET. Btw, the dude at the parts department of my dealer wanted $544 for sun visor assembly and he told me it was special order. Does that sound like a bit much?! NO F*CKING WAY I WAS GOING TO PAY THAT MUCH.

you can get it apart. you need a long screw driver and slid it down so you can unclip the pull out. then remove the 2 screws then pull it apart. worth a try befor paying $85 worse case is you wreck it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM
HamstersG

Originally Posted by shumby
it was me i f'd mine up. the isses with the glass shop is there is no one tht carried the mirror that thin and it needs to be thin to fit in the clips.

Thanks. Was wondering what I was missing...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

damm!!! i was backin up the other night and lookin at the back up camera monitor. i see my LEDs flickering from the license plate. it looked like a friggin raver was busting some light shows behind my ride! time to get new LEDs....i am lookin to get different ones because i want them to be a little brighter.

i got these bad boys last time:

i was planning on gettin these ones now. i dont know if they would fit tho:

anyone got any input?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
ghostfaced37

Hey guys i just replaced my map light LEDs with WLED-CW5 194... they work fine.. but i noticed after I shut my car doors they remain on very faintly... they just have alittle dim glow to them.... is this normal? ... i noticed once i switch from the "door" button to the "off" button they turn off completely

Will this drain my battery or burn out my LEDs? or is this just normal
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
shumby

happens with my map lights and my car can sit for weeks with out driveng and I got no issues. Basically there is still a small amout of current still going through the lights it would be the same with the stockers but you would not see the light
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
HamstersG

Originally Posted by ghostfaced37
Hey guys i just replaced my map light LEDs with WLED-CW5 194... they work fine.. but i noticed after I shut my car doors they remain on very faintly... they just have alittle dim glow to them.... is this normal? ... i noticed once i switch from the "door" button to the "off" button they turn off completely

Will this drain my battery or burn out my LEDs? or is this just normal
Normal with LED when car is on/running. However, when you turn everything off and get out of the car, they will go out completely after the interior light delay times out ..... so no drain on battery.

Quick Reply: LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate