Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C'mon man, the size was stated about 10 thousand times in this thread alone.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't have time to look through the whole thread because I was at work
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

ben...all the bulbs i used are on my first post...it shows which site i purchased them as well...take it easy.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just installed mines yesterday and that **** is bright! I still have to install the reverse lights though. Pics will be up soon.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
The Jewbag

Why would you swap your reverse lights with LEDs when they're already LEDs? Just curious...
Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

As far as I can tell, the reverse lights are not LEDs. The taillights are, though.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
The Jewbag

Yea that was kinda dumb of me I mixed up the tailights with the reverse lights....oops lol....good idea it'll look awesome I'm sure good luck!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Taka37

just ordered 7 bulbs for my car today.
can't wait till it arrives
Old 11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
n_jay888

I installed my reverse lights yesterday and that shiet was a biatch to install. It took me 30-45 mins trying to figure out how to take it off. When i finally found out, the other pair was a breeze. Everything is installed and i'm really pleased with the outcome. I'll post the pics hopefully tonight.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by n_jay888
I installed my reverse lights yesterday and that shiet was a biatch to install. It took me 30-45 mins trying to figure out how to take it off. When i finally found out, the other pair was a breeze. Everything is installed and i'm really pleased with the outcome. I'll post the pics hopefully tonight.
cool! cant wait to see them jay!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Originally Posted by n_jay888
any tips or hints, that havent been covered in the DIY for reverse lights yet?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:32 PM
n_jay888

Uhmm... Its the same as the DIY. First, take out the black plastic cover on top of the tail light, so you have a grip to yank it. Next, inside the trunk, you have to pull the carpet out. It is secured with two black plastic bolts that can be popped by a flat screw driver. Once the carpet is out of the way, you'll see 3 nuts that you have to unscrew. Then pull the whole tail light out from where the plastic cover was. Don't be afraid to yank it coz its only fastened with two clips by then. After that you'll see the reverse light. Let me know if you get into any snag.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:09 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More Conservative Light Change

After trying several different bulbs and temps, I decided on a goal of matching everything inside and out as close as possible to the 4300K temp of the stock HID. Here are my LED change-outs.

Vanity: Vanity Mini 3 LED SMT Festoon, 31mm x 5mm diameter, Super White
Source: http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

Map: WLED-NW5, Natural White @ 4500K, 220 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
Door: WLED-NW6, Natural White @ 4500K, 35 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
License: WLED-NW5, Natural White @ 4500K, 220 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
Trunk: WLED-WHP, Pure White @ 4500, 120 degree pattern, 20 Lumens
Source: http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Some Things to Consider:

1. Seems like a majority of people use the Cool White LED. For the WLED-5, it is 8000K and the WLED-6 is 9600K. I did not notice this when I made my first order. When I installed them it was too blue and too dim for me. So I put them in my son’s GTI and they matched well. When I put the Natural White in I liked it much better. It gets rid of the stock “yellow” lights and I can see much better. Maybe not as “cool” at the Cool White, but better choice for me. If you are not sure, then you may want to order a couple of samples and play with them first before ordering a whole set.

2. Think about the pattern of the light and the orientation of the bulb before deciding on the 5 or 6 LED for each location. I used 5 in the Map to give a glow. The 6 in the Map gave too much of a spotlight effect. Now in the door, I wanted more of the spotlight effect so used 6. In the license I wanted better dispersion so used 5.

3. Tried the Cool White 5 and 6 in the trunk before ordering the WHP. It is much brighter than either and lights up trunk much better especially since it is 4500K.

Pictures were requested in another post. So here is my best attempt. Taken in a garage with no other lights. Used tripod so I could play with exposure to get pictures as close to actual as possible. It was real hard to get the color in the photo to match the real life. However, the first one below named "accurate color" is real close. Hope that helps.

I really like how this came out......
Attached Thumbnails LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate-color-accurate.jpg   LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate-idea-on-visibility.jpg   LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate-door-on-gray-floor.jpg   LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate-trunk.jpg  

Last edited by HamstersG; 11-20-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Add info and pictures.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:26 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Hm.... someone else on myg37 bought the PIAA H1 6000k Fogs, they were suppose to be purple/white but they turned out yellowish/pink... and when looking at the casing it almost looks like the oem fogs.. so i'd be careful about the 4000k ones.. if your trying to rid of the yellow...

I'm getting the PIAA spark blue 8000k for my fogs, from car-gym and returning my piaa h1 6000k fogs

PIAA Part #11655 H1 Xtreme White Plus
Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 AM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hamdavid
Based on information in this forum and a number of other web sites, I finally decided to go with a combination of incandescent and LED bulbs. After trying several different bulbs and temps, I decided on a goal of matching everything inside and out as close as possible to the 4300K temp of the stock HID.

Here is what I used:.

Interior:
Vanity: Vanity Mini 3 LED SMT Festoon, 31mm x 5mm diameter, Super White
Source: http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

Map: WLED-NW5, Natural White @ 4500K, 220 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
Door: WLED-NW6, Natural White @ 4500K, 35 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
License: WLED-NW5, Natural White @ 4500K, 220 degree pattern, 12 Lumens
Trunk: WLED-WHP, Pure White @ 4500, 120 degree pattern, 20 Lumens
Source: http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Some Things to Consider:

1. Seems like a majority of people use the Cool White LED. For the WLED-5, it is 8000K and the WLED-6 is 9600K. I did not notice this when I made my first order. When I installed them it was too blue and too dim for me. So I put them in my son’s GTI and they matched well. When I put the Natural White in I liked it much better. It gets rid of the stock “yellow” lights and I can see much better. Maybe not as “cool” at the Cool White, but better choice for me. If you are not sure, then you may want to order a couple of samples and play with them first before ordering a whole set.

2. Think about the pattern of the light and the orientation of the bulb before deciding on the 5 or 6 LED for each location. I used 5 in the Map to give a glow. The 6 in the Map gave too much of a spotlight effect. Now in the door, I wanted more of the spotlight effect so used 6. In the license I wanted better dispersion so used 5.

3. Tried the Cool White 5 and 6 in the trunk before ordering the WHP. It is much brighter than either and lights up trunk much better especially since it is 4500K.

Exterior:

Headlight: Stock @ 4300K

Fogs: PIAA Part #11655 H1 Xtreme White Plus @ 4000K (To be installed)
City Light: PIAA Part #19172 168 Xtreme White Wedge Bulb to match Fog (To be installed)
Source: www.amazon.com

Backups: 25 Led SMT Tower III 194 168 W5W 2825 (To be installed)
Source: http://autolumination.com/194.htm

I really like how it has come out so far.....

when you get a chance can you take some pics of your interior lights. the cool white looks cool, but i admit it is pretty dim. i also want to see what the 6's look for the doors. thanks for all the info so far hamdavid!

Quick Reply: LEDs installed for vanity mirrors, doors and license plate