Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by levin91e
Can anybody confirm if they are putting out a TSB on this issue? Or if one is already out?

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."

So far, no joy on the TSB.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progress is being made on this (at least I hope).

Since driving my car from California across the US and then up to Chicago, this issue has gotten worse and worse. Finally after being stable and not traveling anywhere else for a few weeks, I took the car in to a dealership in Chicago (Hoffman Estates) for various issues; this being the main one.

Long story short, they've had my car for about 5 days now... it's at the body shop and they found several spot welds BROKEN as well as welds that WERE NEVER WELDED FROM THE FACTORY...?! Anyway, Paul (Service @ Hoffman Estates Infiniti) and one of his tech's spoke with Infiniti's head technical team (I assume the team who issues the TSB's) and are pushing for a TSB to be issued on this.

For the sake of everyone here as well as future people with this problem, I submitted this entire thread to Paul which he has followed on, confirmed the issue using my car as an prime example, and forwarded all added information to the Infiniti heads in charge of TSB announcements. Let's cross our fingers.

The body shop has my car until Monday and I'm in a EX loaner which I am more than satisfied with. I want them taking their time with this P.S. The EX is smooth as hell... really impressed for what it is.

Also, does anyone think this A-Pillar weld issue REALLY has a severe impact on the structural integrity of the car's safety "cage" which goes around the entire cabin of the car? Hope you know what I'm talking about...

-Nick
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
lakers8

wow not welded on? thats crazy
Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am looking to purchase either a 09 G37x coupe or sedan in the next week, so I was wondering does this affect the 2009 models? Does it take time to show up or is it apparent from the test drive?

Base off issues I am reading in both 09 coupes and sedans, maybe the IS350 maybe the way to go....
Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
PureNick

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Base off issues I am reading in both 09 coupes and sedans, maybe the IS350 maybe the way to go....
I wouldn't go THAT far but as an example...

me and my business partner both purchased our cars at the exact same time. They're both '08 G37S's... only diff. is that his is an auto w/stone interior, mine is black/black/6MT. His car does not have this issue at all... mine does and our build dates are very close together.

To me and I think most others in this thread, the problem was noticeable almost right away so what I suggest to you is TEST drive whatever car you plan on buying... take that car and do some tension tests up driveways and other similar scenarios... listen heavily for a squeak or noise coming from that pillar... if nothing comes from it you should be good.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It just sounds like there seems to be some major problems in both 09 sedans and coupes. I keep reading people bringing there cars in for an oil change as well as "other things". Dealers taking weeks to fix problems etc. Not what I expected to hear from a 40K car. Does not instill confidence in the long term viability of the G37.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Mayu

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
It just sounds like there seems to be some major problems in both 09 sedans and coupes. I keep reading people bringing there cars in for an oil change as well as "other things". Dealers taking weeks to fix problems etc. Not what I expected to hear from a 40K car. Does not instill confidence in the long term viability of the G37.
Congrats on your upcoming decision process and eventual purchase. What a great dilemna to have...

These issues you see here are "superficial." None of them will deem the car undriveable.

Furthemore, the G37, even in Sport (as is mine), is very quiet and these minor creaks can be an irritant. My DD '04 Civic rattles, shakes and rolls, but I dont notice over the general noise of the car. I have had my G37's A-pillar fixed under warranty and is perfect now.

Knock on wood, with a little over 14K miles, I have yet to experience a CEL or warning of anykind. My leather is fine as is my battery.

I love my car, the way it drives, the way it looks, the way my neighbours look to me as the "Car Guy" despite our other neighbour owing an '07 Ferrari F430 (I kid you not!). Reason being, I think this car brings a perception of who you are. Its a car-guys/gals car!

Good luck friend! You have two great cars to choose from. I personally chose the G because I prefer driving this type of car - a forgiving GT - and not a squishy 4 door.

The real question is, do you want to be associated with IS drivers or as a G driver. Your call. Your life. Be warned, my neighbours and I will view you differently for your choice.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
PureNick

Got my car back today.

Everything sounds solid. For those of you that are needing to have this done in the future, this is what my service record shows for the problem:

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A POPPING NOISE FROM THE LEFT A-PILLAR WHILE DRIVING *ROAD TESTED WITH DK*
BSOB (BODY SHOP OF BARRINGTON) REPAIRS SHOWS SPOT WELDS ALONG A PILLAR AND AT A-PILLAR TO ROOF ATTACHMENT POINTS FAILED. REWELDED.
Total time from start to finish: 8 days.

Other things replaced during this time: Driver side leather seat cover (due to bubble issue), two small rattles, and both illuminated kick plates due to moisture issues.

Infinit of Hoffman Estates was a pleasure dealing with I must say as well. I know that doesn't mean much to you guys, but I need to give credit where it's due
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Achilles

Infiniti of Hoffman Estates?? Where is this located?

Glad they got it taken care of. A TSB should be written against this.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
*lazy_ride*
Registered Member

PureNick, what does your service record show for the driver side leather seat cover repair
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
having same issue
read thread - subscribed
will be calling local dealership to see if they know about this issue
will probably not address it until I go in for my next scheduled maintance
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
lakers8

I tried going in for this problem, and with my luck there were no sounds coming when i drove it with the service adviser.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lakers8
I tried going in for this problem, and with my luck there were no sounds coming when i drove it with the service adviser.
Try going over a ramped driveway entrance (or speed bump) at a diagonal angle. That is when I notice it the most.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 PM
IRVG37

same

Originally Posted by onlyhyon
i had exact same problem and i went 5different dealer for it.. but they all said nothing wrong with it infiniti made g37 like that from factory..... but when i took it to tustin dealer... they fixed it in 1 min.. it was wax left over in the sun roof area... they used 3m*** not sure what it was but brand was 3m and he used that to clean the area
that's exactly what infiniti mission viejo did with my squeaking noise. went away completely after the "lube"
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 AM
lakers8

Well i went in today for this problem, they took apart my headliner, drove with it off and couldnt figure out where the noise is coming from. Must be nice to be a mechanic and not be able to pinpoint a noise huh?

Quick Reply: Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area