Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 AM
BocaCoupe
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a safety issue or a noise issue? I have the same problem.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Oggie

This is a noise issue and it is quite bothersome.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 AM
BocaCoupe
Premier Member

Is there a fix? I can remove the headliner if I need to...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Mayu

Unless you have a welding gun and years of experience, take it in.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Mayu
Unless you have a welding gun and years of experience, take it in.
Exactly, take it in. That's why you have a warranty. Get your loaner and let them do it.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 AM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well well,

I never thought I'd hear anyone else with this problem. I also have this problem in my '08 G37S.

VERY long story short, the dealer here in Thousand Oaks after 3 days, found my issue to be structural assembly error (bad weld they suspect) and they claim the only way to fix this was to have the car sent to a body shop to be patched up.

The tech who worked on my car, who was super nice and took a good amount of time to find my problem, located a 1inch wide or so break in the pillar right above the driver side door.

Anyone else think this should be a reason to RETURN the car completely for a new one or will that get shot down?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me know if anyone actually finds their dealer to have a fix for the roof squeak/pop. I am tired of going to the dealer for little fixes and want to take a break. For now I am going to just play "earmuffs" to the lil noises of the G and keep my music up and my exhaust revving.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by PureNick
Well well,

I never thought I'd hear anyone else with this problem. I also have this problem in my '08 G37S.

VERY long story short, the dealer here in Thousand Oaks after 3 days, found my issue to be structural assembly error (bad weld they suspect) and they claim the only way to fix this was to have the car sent to a body shop to be patched up.

The tech who worked on my car, who was super nice and took a good amount of time to find my problem, located a 1inch wide or so break in the pillar right above the driver side door.

Anyone else think this should be a reason to RETURN the car completely for a new one or will that get shot down?
You might have a good argument but you might have an uphill battle.... Infiniti needs to address this issue and correct it in the 2010 model. For now, it should at be recall or at least a TSB.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Mayu

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Let me know if anyone actually finds their dealer to have a fix for the roof squeak/pop. I am tired of going to the dealer for little fixes and want to take a break. For now I am going to just play "earmuffs" to the lil noises of the G and keep my music up and my exhaust revving.

FYI...

Car - 2008 G37S, OB, Tech, Nav - picked up April 02, 08.

Creak was apparent driving off the lot but not enough to have me drive that puppy back to the dealership.

3 attempts to fix and a total of 13 days with my car. Creak was minimal after the "fix".

Now;

1. my roof liner rattles if the sunroof shade is open
2. the creaking noise is no longer an issue when frame is tourqued, rather there is a very faint squeak in the A-pillar AT ALL TIMES!
3. moonroof making a 'popping" sound when the wheels hit rough surfaces such as rumble strips (not torquing the frame - just jolting/shocking the body over a quick bump)

And the real kick to the groin you wonder? 3 dents on the roof by the body shop!!! I dont even touch the paint on my own car unless there is a microfiber polishing cloth in between! Slightly disconcerted by this.

Its winter, my car is stored (correct, it is not a $500K car, but it is my baby and will never see a Canadian winter) and the first drive in Spring is to the dealership to have this 'resolved'.

If I was not in LOVE with my car, I would have probably driven it through the dealership window...
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Oggie

Ok. My third try as well. Came back today. A bit better. The sound only comes when I am hitting a larger pothole. But I now have other dash noise that I didn't have before. Darn technican. The dealer came back to say the problem is still not resolved. Infiniti head office suggested to pull the windshield. I say no fff way. I am going to wait for the TSB. However, the dealer did pay for my oil change for all this hassle. This is bad press for Infiniti.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Purchased an '08 G37 Journey w/ Sport package late April. I heard the rattle above the driver door and mentioned during the first oil change. I could not wait for hours for them to evaluate, so I agreed to leave the car on second oil change and get a loaner, which I did on 10/24. (Loaner was a G35x sedan without NAV, XM, Tech package, etc.)

They called that day and heard the noise and said "infiniti happened to be there that day and they were very interested in my car." They needed more time to repair. Two working days later they said it was in the A-pillar. Over the next few weeks they said they were sending pictures to the Infiniti engineers to determine a proper fix.

One point they told me the noise was not in the door (which I reported) since they had the door stripped down to bare metal and the windshield out! It was metal flexing in the A-pillar. Again, they said Infiniti was very interested. I asked if this was manufacturing defect or just a problem unique to my car, and was told it was unique to my car. But it sounds like the exact problem others are posting here.

They sent it out to a body shop for tack welding. 10 days later it was still at the body shop. They said the factory people were overseeing the work since they wanted to repair it properly.

The dealer called late Friday 11/21 to say they have the car back and need a few days to put everything back together! I asked for a copy of the pictures and detailed documentation on all work done.

I'm concerned they will not get the car back together properly and am concerned about long term reliability with noise. They have now have had my car for 30 days! Has anyone considered pursuing the Lemon-Law?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 AM
G-Pimp

I used to hear this sound all the time. Now I just blast the speakers until I cant hear it anymore
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
volnedan

Ok after monitoring this thread I finally took it in to the dealership today for this issue. I told him about all the instances from this forum and said that everyone else is getting same feedback of broken welds at A-pillar. Got the G35X loaner for the time being (thank God because it started snowing as soon as I left the dealer and I have yet to put my winter setup on).

Service rep said they have a body shop they work with for problems like this, and all the high end dealerships go there for work (benz, bmw, audi, porsche, etc) so I somewhat trust them. However, this is still a poor engineering flaw on Infiniti's side. There are thousands and thousands of miles put on pre-production cars during validation testing, and its not hard to reproduce. This type of structural error to me is ridiculous on a $40k car.

Still love my car to death, but come on guys...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM
PhilH930

I'm afraid I have this issue too, although I am not quite certain it is an A-frame rattle or just the interior lining on the drivers pillar. If I press this firmly while driving, the rattle subsides, however whenever I hit a bump it sounds like a tin can with cheap plastic inside. Not quite what I expected for a $40k car, and I'll keep my eye/ear on this in the coming weeks.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I have the same problem too and I just hit 5,000 miles ....

Quick Reply: Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area