Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Igor911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would ask them to repurchase my car back and have it replaced...that's ridiculous!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM
nhautman

Finally got my baby back after 8 days. No more squeak, and I can't tell where they took anything apart. And, as promised, everything was under warranty.

I'm sure the body has less flex after fixing 14 welds, but I can't feel any difference.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Igor911

Just got a call from the dealership. Turns out they claim to have fixed the noise!

I haven't gotten the car back yet, I will keep you all posted with the results and fix details.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by nhautman
Finally got my baby back after 8 days. No more squeak, and I can't tell where they took anything apart. And, as promised, everything was under warranty.

I'm sure the body has less flex after fixing 14 welds, but I can't feel any difference.
Good to hear. Let us if you feel any difference. Body flexing is normal for vehicles but for numerous G's to have the noise from the SAME spot is not normal. The fact that the noise can be easily reproduced in the same spot over the drivers head is either a design or manufacture problem. Either way, it's something Infiniti should correct in the newer models. There needs to be a TSB for this.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

Is everyone experiencing flexing noise coming from the A-pillar (windshield) or from the trunk area?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Igor911

Well I got my car back today and the noise is gone. They said they bent some cross bar that connects the roof to the windshield and the noise went away.

Bad part is that the dealership curbed 2 of my rims!!!!!!!! Just left the Service Manager a VM. I'm really mad
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my moonroof makes a popping noise nearly every time i get outta my driveway. since the driveway has an angled ridge/curb to it i pull out front bumper first on a diagonal 45 degree angle. 3 out of 5 pull outs give me the moonroof pop. only way i wouldnt get it is if i pull out straight but do to safe habit of always ensuring ground clearance i always use the angle - which provokes the "body flex"

I wonder if they can fix the body flex causing the moonroof pop?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
my moonroof makes a popping noise nearly every time i get outta my driveway. since the driveway has an angled ridge/curb to it i pull out front bumper first on a diagonal 45 degree angle. 3 out of 5 pull outs give me the moonroof pop. only way i wouldnt get it is if i pull out straight but do to safe habit of always ensuring ground clearance i always use the angle - which provokes the "body flex"

I wonder if they can fix the body flex causing the moonroof pop?

I think that is where most of the ppl complaining about this problem is seeing it, in the moonroof area, a little more on the drivers side. If it also happens when you drive over bumps then yes, that's the one.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
nhautman

My ears thought it was the door, not the moonroof. But the dealer said all the work was done to the A-pillar.

It's rock solid now. Not as tight as my '04 350z was, but the G is about 400lbs heavier. And the Z wasn't a light car. Either way, the squeak is gone. Didn't like not having my car for a week, but, looking back, it was worth it. I had a loaner and the repairs didn't cost me anything.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:50 PM
peacepanda

I dropped off my car for its 2nd service on Monday morning and mentioned the creaking noise on the drop off envelope. It was all fixed up by 10:30 am. The dealer mentioned something about a sunroof seal that needed to be re-lubricated. Good as new now.

I wonder if driving around with the sunroof open a lot promotes the drying of this seal?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
mdr955

I had a prrety annoying squeek/creak from the a pillar/roof area. I took it in to the dealer. They removed the roof panelling and a-pillar panneling and said it was readily obvious where the weld was loose from the roof panels. Had the body shop re-weld and said no more noise.

I hope to have it back in tip top shape tomorrow all put back together as I had left it there. Car only has 1000 miles on it....
Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Mikeg37

Yup i had the same issue. The dealership had my car for like two weeks. When i got the car back no more noise from the A pillar. Know i have problems with the cd changer. It wont take any cd's. So know my advisor told me it needs a new radio unit with cd changer.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
mdr955

Got my car back today.

No noise. Put about 100 miles on it and nothing.

I know a lot was taken apart to get to the problem area, but it looks no worse for the work.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Oggie

I am taking mine back tomorrow again. Damn A-pillar.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Agent00J

Originally Posted by nhautman
Had my G37S for less than a week. Took it to the dealer because the TPMS needed to be reset. When they asked if anything else is wrong, I told them there was a squeak high in the driver's side door that I get when I go over bumps.

They called me back to say they heard it too, and a tech, a shop foreman, and the service manager were still unable to find the source. They eventually found some spot welds in the front A-pillar that either broke loose or didn't hold from the factory.

Now I have to wait a week while they send it to a body shop to get it fixed. They gave me a '07 G35x with no options. I forgot how bad terrestrial radio was.

I see a lot of people have narrowed it down to the A-pillar... but is this noise somehow exclusive to people with a moonroof? I've also noted that some people mentioned getting new moonroofs installed and it somehow 'temporarily' solving the squeaking issue.

Quick Reply: Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area