Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Kream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in Austin, TX. I had my bra done at Suntint. They are certified Bekaert film installer.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Protein Shakes

Originally Posted by Kream
I'm in Austin, TX. I had my bra done at Suntint. They are certified Bekaert film installer.
Dammit, I was kinda wishing you lived near me!. That's a good price for a clear bra
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Taktix1

D*MN! I was on my way to work today and a HUGE rock hit my bumper. It totally ripped my clearbra and I cant tell yet if theres damage to the bumper or not. Im SO PISSED.....for those with a clearbra, if you have had it hit and ripped, do you replace that piece? leave it alone? I try to take care of the clearbra as I do my car so its very well kept, this small tear is kinda pissing me off though. I would take pics but Im at work so that'll have to wait until tonight...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Genome

I thought I had just a tear in the fender piece...

but it damaged the paint as well...so I've having the paint repaired and will later replace the piece (hoping it will work better if there is a next time). After painting, one has to wait 'til the paint "cures" - I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days...I believe there's a thread about this here somewhere...Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Genome
but it damaged the paint as well...so I've having the paint repaired and will later replace the piece (hoping it will work better if there is a next time). After painting, one has to wait 'til the paint "cures" - I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days...I believe there's a thread about this here somewhere...Good luck.
I dont think mine damaged the paint but it did leave a small dent in the bumper. It for sure ripped my clearbra though. Crappy thing is I've only had the clearbra on for a few months and I might need to replace the bumper piece already.

BTW: For those that have a clearbra. Did your installer roll the edges underneath the car panels or did they leave a small gap where the clearbra doesnt go all the way to the edge?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
LeonC626

It's a great investment, especially if you have dark or black paint. Once the bra is on, you can't even see the swirls under the sunlight. But do take good care of it. DON'T let hard water marks get on them, it'll be so hard to get them off.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Genome

Doesn't go all the way to the edge and...

...for what it's worth, I watched the entire process and IMO it qualifies as a DIY...Again, good luck...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
ctowna

Would you guys think that after 1500 miles it's kinda too late to put one on? I plan on washing the G this weekend to see if I have an surprises (which I think will answer that question). Just wish I could find somebody in DFW that would do it for less than $800-900
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by ctowna
Would you guys think that after 1500 miles it's kinda too late to put one on? I plan on washing the G this weekend to see if I have an surprises (which I think will answer that question). Just wish I could find somebody in DFW that would do it for less than $800-900
It's really never too late..but if you do have chips you might want to get it fixed before you put the bra on. A good installer will do all the prep (washing, claying etc etc) of the areas that are being protected. It took me months to find a person in my area (Northern VA) to do it for under $800.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
ctowna

Any DFW people have suggestions?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
HTP AutoWorks

I install a product out here in SoCal called ClearMask. Its a great product with a lifetime warranty. I highly recommend getting them installed when the car is new. If you wait to long then you will only cover up the chips you have.... but I guess it will keep you will keep from getting any more. I traded in my 06 IP G35 with 40,000 miles on it and it didn’t have a single rock chip. It helped my resale value... not to mention if I would have had to repaint the car, it might not have matched well.

I will say two things though, one is you get what you pay for. Cheap films will fade quickly and you will be pissed because it looks like crap in 6 months. I only use ClearMask and VentureShield (for full hood wraps). The other bit of advice I have is let a professional do it. It is not easy to install, is not a DIY, and if you mess it up, you are out of some pretty serious money. Find a good local installer to apply the kit. It will be money well spent and you will be happy you did.

Thom Pettigrew
HTP AutoWorks
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Genome

Maybe a google search of suppliers...

Originally Posted by ctowna
...and then you can ask the suppliers to refer you to installers in your area...a few (or more) phone calls should be able to find you someone to do it for arond $550-650 (depending on how much you want done). Also, be wary and ask if the installers have access to the G37 pieces 'cause not installers have access to the entire range of pieces (must be licensing fees or such). Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
HTP AutoWorks

The pieces are made by the manufacturers and it depends on whether or not they have gone out and made a pattern for the car yet. I would be surprised if all e manufacturers do not have a kit for the car yet. And they do make kits for the areas prone to rock chips. I do not think the tail lights are one of those. I have yet to see a tail light chipped up from rocks...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Genome

That's not the way my local installer works...

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
The pieces are made by the manufacturers and it depends on whether or not they have gone out and made a pattern for the car yet. I would be surprised if all e manufacturers do not have a kit for the car yet. And they do make kits for the areas prone to rock chips. I do not think the tail lights are one of those. I have yet to see a tail light chipped up from rocks...
...as well as at least one other installer who gave me the heads up - they(installers) have a machine that cuts the pattern and I was told by one installer that some fee was involved to access the pattern(s),,,probably more than one approach, like most things in life...maybe you could reduce your overhead as compared to buying kits already made
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
HTP AutoWorks

I buy my kits already precut from ClearMask. Expel charges money for every time you cut a piece on your own plotter. Which believe it or not can get very expensive very quickly. I have never had a ClearMask kit come to me that did not fit well. I can not speak for any other companies since I do not use their products anymore.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra