Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Clicking/Ticking Sounds from Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Clicking/Ticking Sounds from Interior

Not sure how to explain this, but I have a clicking or ticking sound coming from what I believe is right below the steering column inside the car (basically under the dash on the drivers side).

I get the click when I'm going down the road but have to be going at least 55-60 mph. It sounds like someone is constantly clicking their computer mouse. I've seen the threads on the clicks with the 6MT (I'm 5AT) where it was thought coming from the exhuast or cats. DEFINITELY not that. I only hear it when moving and must be going above 55 to hear it. If you push it, the clicking noise gets faster and louder.

It's really pissing me off and it's kinda infrequent since I seem to hear it more when it is colder outside (< 50 F).

Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what it could be to help the dealer resolve.

EDIT: It definitely isn't a rattle!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM
chain492

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i drove my cousins 350gt before he got it fixed, it had clicks/ticks everywhere! gay! i guess thats what you get for getting a g35? i want a g35..... T_T Just tell them exactly what you posted.. they should find it and fix it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Almost sounds like someone's tapping their fingernail on a desk. I hear it every now and then. If it becomes more common, I'm gonna take it in.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
MrMichael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that and took it in for it, but of course that morning it didn't do it even though the previous week it had done it almost everyday. Ever since then though I haven't heard it and its been 2 weeks.

Mine wasn't linked to speed but RPMS and it varied all over the place.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Okay... I'm not the only one with it. I'm traveling this week for work, but plan on taking it on Friday. Hopefully they will figure out what it is.

It's VERY annoying.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
DEC1

what about the speedo cable? does this car even have a speedo cable? or gears associated to the speedo? or maybe the odometer?

If it gets faster with speed it could be that... or something in the tranny?

let us know what you find out...and good luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
shmad

i get that too. it sounds like a cassette player flippin over the tape. i have no idea what that noise is
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
TXG37S

I think I had the same sound you are describing. I took all the CDs out of the player and the noise went away.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:39 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Ok, this is a long shot, but this weekend I heard a clicking noise as well from inside the cabin. I was drinking a can of coke and had it in the center console cup holder and I isolated the noise to this pop can!!! I know this probably isn't the cause of any of your issues, but I have never seen this happen before and suppose I need to put something soft on the bottom of the cup holder now. It was very annoying to say the least and I hope you all can figure out what are causing your noises.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Ok, this is a long shot, but this weekend I heard a clicking noise as well from inside the cabin. I was drinking a can of coke and had it in the center console cup holder and I isolated the noise to this pop can!!! I know this probably isn't the cause of any of your issues, but I have never seen this happen before and suppose I need to put something soft on the bottom of the cup holder now. It was very annoying to say the least and I hope you all can figure out what are causing your noises.
Haha... For the first few days I thought it may have been the same as I often take a MD or Redbull with me on the way to work every morning, but that's not it. The click is definitely from the car.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TXG37S
I think I had the same sound you are describing. I took all the CDs out of the player and the noise went away.
Hmmm... I'll try it. Not sure if I even have CDs in the player as I always use my iPod. Worth a shot. I'll check it out tonight.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
shmad

i dont have any cds in my car at all. not even in the changer. and my cupholders are empty. i got nothing more than my ipod, owners manual and a pen/pad of paper in the car
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It could well be the side skirt rattling! I have it at high speeds, you might be experiencing the same thing.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
MrMichael

Originally Posted by CarAddict
It could well be the side skirt rattling! I have it at high speeds, you might be experiencing the same thing.
I thought that something outside was rattling causing it too but I parked my car in the garage and rev'd the engine and heard it at certain RPMs.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude i have the same ****ing noise. and i have no ****ing clue what it is. i have pressed on everything i can fit my hand on or into and it wont go away

Quick Reply: Clicking/Ticking Sounds from Interior