Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Licence Plate Frames

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
djkymar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Licence Plate Frames

Hey gang,
I was searching and couldnt find any tread on that so i decide to open one. Just wondering whos using what kinda licence plate frames for the back? Is there anything special and unique for our G`s?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just using the dealer frame at the moment. Haven't really found anything worthwhile to replace it with yet
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
bnguyen85

Since this thread is about license plate frames. Does any one have a problem with the rear license plate. Mine only has 2 bolts on the top, no bolts on the bottom. It seems to flap easily during a drive. any body has this problem?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by bnguyen85
Since this thread is about license plate frames. Does any one have a problem with the rear license plate. Mine only has 2 bolts on the top, no bolts on the bottom. It seems to flap easily during a drive. any body has this problem?
Same here.

I too have dealer frame. It's slightly too small and I'll robably remove it. Some states (Texas is one) have laws that the plate frame cannot obstruct any part of the plate or else they are illegal. Some officers in Texas issue citations for any frame on the plate, but it's only illegal if it obstructs the state name or the letters/numbers of the plate.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
DGCIALP
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
problem solved with some thick foam type double sided adhesive...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM
bnguyen85

but do you all have bolts on the bottom of the plate it self? I live in texas. The reason why they issue citations is because it is a better reason for them to catch you for something else. Such as DUI DWI. If your not swerving but they smell alcohol on your breath they will give you a sobriety test. Happened to me before. 3 times. first time had alcohol. next 2 just trying to run my plates and license. But hey that is just my experience maybe there is some justice behind all that. Also in texas we are required to have front plates. Don't like haveing the plate on the front bumper but hey you to do what you got to do.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
TXG37S

This is what my license plate frame looks like. Yes, I know I'm suppose to be a Cowboy fan living in the Dallas area.

The G35 also only had two bolts at the top of the plate but I didn't have any problems with it or the one on my G37.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
bnguyen85

If you grab the bottom of the rear plate and just move it back and for does it seem to flimsy? because mine just moves rather easily. kind of concerned because it might bend the attachment point and eventually break.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

but do you all have bolts on the bottom of the plate it self? I live in texas. The reason why they issue citations is because it is a better reason for them to catch you for something else. Such as DUI DWI. If your not swerving but they smell alcohol on your breath they will give you a sobriety test. Happened to me before. 3 times. first time had alcohol. next 2 just trying to run my plates and license. But hey that is just my experience maybe there is some justice behind all that. Also in texas we are required to have front plates. Don't like haveing the plate on the front bumper but hey you to do what you got to do.
I certainly hope the give you a field sobriety test if they smell alcohol on your breath! Their job is to keep the highways safe. In Mexico, an officer's assertion of smelling alcohol on your breath is evidence enough for a DWI conviction; no breath or blood alcohol level testing is necessary. Zero tolerance. I'm hoping by your statement that you had only been drinking the first time it happened, that you'd learned better and weren't driving impaired on the latter 2 occasions.

I'm in TX. The reason why they give you a citation is becasue it's against the law. It's their job. Fines for breaking the law generate money for the state. I've had no front plate for the past 5 years or so and never been stopped for it. I've been lucky but if I get stopped and ticketed, it's nobody's fault but mine. I'm prepared to pay the consequenses like a man. The ticket is $97 in Houston.

No, there is nowhere on the G to bolt the bottom of the plate. The top 2 should hold it well enough.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
TXG37S

If you grab the bottom of the rear plate and just move it back and for does it seem to flimsy? because mine just moves rather easily. kind of concerned because it might bend the attachment point and eventually break.
The plate on my G35 coupe only had two bolts and I had it for 4.5 years without a problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm in TX. I've had no front plate for the past 5 years or so and never been stopped for it. I've been lucky but if I get stopped and ticketed, it's nobody's fault but mine. I'm prepared to pay the consequenses like a man. The ticket is $97 in Houston.
I'm in Texas too (Dallas) and don't have a front plate. I don't plan to install one either and I'm also prepared to pay the fine if I get a ticket for it. I thought there was proposed legistation last year to over turn that law but I don't know what happened to it.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
bnguyen85

I certainly hope the give you a field sobriety test if they smell alcohol on your breath! Their job is to keep the highways safe. In Mexico, an officer's assertion of smelling alcohol on your breath is evidence enough for a DWI conviction; no breath or blood alcohol level testing is necessary. Zero tolerance. I'm hoping by your statement that you had only been drinking the first time it happened, that you'd learned better and weren't driving impaired on the latter 2 occasions.

I'm in TX. The reason why they give you a citation is becasue it's against the law. It's their job. Fines for breaking the law generate money for the state. I've had no front plate for the past 5 years or so and never been stopped for it. I've been lucky but if I get stopped and ticketed, it's nobody's fault but mine. I'm prepared to pay the consequenses like a man. The ticket is $97 in Houston.

No, there is nowhere on the G to bolt the bottom of the plate. The top 2 should hold it well enough.
I was way under the limit. I wasn't even swerving or endangering anybody. I feel like it is just gives them a reason to pull people over. The other 2 times i was just driving through my hometown to visit. But it is understandable, because alot of people down there does drink and drive.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
bnguyen85

For Texas driver we are allowed to put the plates inside the window with suction cups and does not affect the driver's visibility. There is some law that states we are allowed to do this because my brother got pulled over for it and he even told the officer it isn't illegal and remembered the document stating the loophole.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

For Texas driver we are allowed to put the plates inside the window with suction cups and does not affect the driver's visibility. There is some law that states we are allowed to do this because my brother got pulled over for it and he even told the officer it isn't illegal and remembered the document stating the loophole.
Do you possibly have a reference to where I can find this? It may save me $97 one day!

Originally Posted by TXG37S
I'm in Texas too (Dallas) and don't have a front plate. I don't plan to install one either and I'm also prepared to pay the fine if I get a ticket for it. I thought there was proposed legistation last year to over turn that law but I don't know what happened to it.
It didn't pass that I'm aware of.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:07 PM
08G37S

Do you possibly have a reference to where I can find this? It may save me $97 one day!

It didn't pass that I'm aware of.
You can probably find it on the TXDOT or Public Safety website. I know it is true as I had found the law. In my 2004 Ram, I modded the passenger visor/mirror to house the license plate. So whenever I got pulled over for whatever, the cop would take a gander at the front bumper...get all excited....tell me about my front plate missing, ect....and I would just point to the visor.

And yes, the front plate law for Texas did not pass. Lame!

Quick Reply: Licence Plate Frames