Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

To rust-proof or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
vINCe_Inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To rust-proof or not ?

What options for rust-proofing are out there (canadian winter here), Generally what are your thoughts on rust-proofing, yay or nay, but more importantly... why ?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Jimmy John's

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO WAY DONT DO IT... I SOLD CARS FOR 8 YEARS AND SELLING THIS WAS MY BREAD AND BUTTER I WAS SO GOOD AT IT I MADE MORE MONEY SELLING THE SHIELD TAHN THE CAR, I SOLD IT FOR WHAT I COULD DEPENDING ON WHO I WAS DEALING WITH 300 TO 1200 OUR COST 35 DOLLARS.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought the G, my dealer told me that the body had a life time guarantee. As long as there was no damage to promote the rusting. Double check with the dealer and make sure if you have the same deal.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by Jimmy John's
NO WAY DONT DO IT... I SOLD CARS FOR 8 YEARS AND SELLING THIS WAS MY BREAD AND BUTTER I WAS SO GOOD AT IT I MADE MORE MONEY SELLING THE SHIELD TAHN THE CAR, I SOLD IT FOR WHAT I COULD DEPENDING ON WHO I WAS DEALING WITH 300 TO 1200 OUR COST 35 DOLLARS.
haha. good to know !!!
im guessing there are many types of rust-proofing, from simple oily spray on films to resin like thick application. do you recommend not getting any of them ?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
When I bought the G, my dealer told me that the body had a life time guarantee. As long as there was no damage to promote the rusting. Double check with the dealer and make sure if you have the same deal.
i believe that is true.
btw. nav and dvd hack ? lol . share please !
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 AM
jdmalltheway

just wax the car yourself. That's essentially what they're doing.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc
haha. good to know !!!
im guessing there are many types of rust-proofing, from simple oily spray on films to resin like thick application. do you recommend not getting any of them ?
On modern cars it's an absolute waste of money. 25 0r 30 years ago, they may have had some value, but today they have none, except to those who sell them.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Comatose

Doesn't Infiniti's warranty cover against rust anyway?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Infiniti warranty covers corrosion on body sheet metal panels only for 7yrs/unlimited (pg 5 of your Warranty Information Booklet). Anything else, e.g. undercarriage, is not covered.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 AM
vINCe_Inc

update. i got my car today. i opted to get an electronically controlled unit that essentially converts the entire car's metal structure into a negatively charged piece of metal, hence preventing oxidization.
now before you shoot down what i did and how its a waste of money... understand that i live in toronto and the salting here is insane. my justification was that if i can afford a 50k car, a little money spent protecting it is the least i can do.
any other canadian g owners get rustproofing >?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
HER37S

Yeah, I was in Kingston Canada and could not believe I saw so many 4 year body styles that had rusted through fender wheel wells. I would never buy new car in that condition, rusted out before it's paid off? No way. Not sure if what they sell you is worth it, but I would do anything I could to slow that down. I'm sure we have places like that as well, but I have only owned cars in SoCal and AZ, I don't even know how to spell roest! hehe sorry that was bad
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc
update. i got my car today. i opted to get an electronically controlled unit that essentially converts the entire car's metal structure into a negatively charged piece of metal, hence preventing oxidization.
What's the unit called? Where did you get it done and how much?