Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Removing Tail Lights! Frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delfin2003
lol, nice, looks like ppl starting to join the 'LED' club. You don't have to replace them, they are just fine. Its basically little sponge pieces, and they never tore when I worked on my lights.
hey noticed you had VA plates, sorry to change the subject but where in VA you from?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM
yeaitzwill

Pics!!
hey wut bulbs did you use for ur licence plate? the color is real nice
Old 04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reference the pic attached...How did you all get the plastic parts above the tail lights to fasten securely as before? Mine still seem pretty loose and I want them to be securely in place as they were before. Help!
Attached Thumbnails Removing Tail Lights! Frustrated!-img_1558.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 PM
thexfactor

I done done it!

Finally... replaced all lights in my car and reverse lights to LEDs... will give full info and pics soon!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 AM
leeladisky

Can someone please provide a link to the brightest LED turn signal (aka 7440) bulb used in this application??? I replaced mine, but they aren't as bright as I think they should/could be...

Lee
Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post a pic of led turn signal i always thought it would be red bc of the red housing.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM
sorphin

Originally Posted by leeladisky
Can someone please provide a link to the brightest LED turn signal (aka 7440) bulb used in this application??? I replaced mine, but they aren't as bright as I think they should/could be...

Lee
I got these: http://superbrightleds.com/specs/744x-xHP3.htm

they're really bright compared to the normal LED bulbs i'm used to using
Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM
vinnys coupe

pics?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 PM
sorphin

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
pics?
i'll take some tomorrow night when i take pics of the city lights
Old 07-06-2008, 07:50 AM
delfin2003
Registered Member

yeah, about the turn singals. I've used 5 watt leds for mine, but during the day they are barely visible, only good at night time or in a shade...so i'm thinking about switching back to regular bulbs. OR maybe re-wirering a harness with a solid state relay to make one of the O rings in each of the tailights blink respectivly when the turn signal is used and getting rid of the bulb turn signal altogether...that's something to dwell on for me...
Old 07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
sorphin

yeah, about the turn singals. I've used 5 watt leds for mine, but during the day they are barely visible, only good at night time or in a shade...so i'm thinking about switching back to regular bulbs. OR maybe re-wirering a harness with a solid state relay to make one of the O rings in each of the tailights blink respectivly when the turn signal is used and getting rid of the bulb turn signal altogether...that's something to dwell on for me...
I've seen mine w/o issue in hte daylight.. no bulb or LED can overpower the Sun hitting it directly though, which we in the traffic light world call Sun Phantoming
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
TicketProof

Alright just did mine and i figured out a way to skip taking off the plastic panel pieces above and running a wire behind it, once youve taken the 3 nuts off the bolts take a small hammer or back of your screwdriver and wack the ends of the 3 screws, this will pop the assembly loose from the clips without any pulling or the fear of breaking them. After trying it on the first one the second housing took my about 3 minutes from start to finish. Good luck.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...d-img_1561.jpg

the picture above shows the 3 attached bolts after the taillight assembly is removed, these are the ones you should wack when their poking out of the holes in the frame of your car.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So we still have no video of this in action?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Ok guys, finally, after spending $$$ for lots of bulbs and testing, got my lights done!!! So for reverse lights, use these, 194 168 W5W 2825 SMT Tower III from autolumination.com Here is the link:

194 168 W5W 2825 Map Led Parking Signal Marker Bulbs

For signal bulbs, user 5 watt led bulbs, others are too dim!Got them from eautoworks.com, model #113619 - SPL3091W. Here is the link. 3157 3 watts high power Bright amber LED replacement car light bulb.. Also buy the resistors from there as well, 6ohm 50 watt resistors will eliminate fast signaling problem once the leds are installed. Make sure to get 3157, 3156 will NOT work. On 3157 you will have to bend clips just slightly to make contact. I also taped led to the bulb socket to make sure it does not fall out in case of a vibration.
damn, those turn signals are some realllyyyy expensive leds!! i think i'll stick to the High Power 3-LED 16mm Wedge Bulb (7440)...

Originally Posted by TicketProof
Alright just did mine and i figured out a way to skip taking off the plastic panel pieces above and running a wire behind it, once youve taken the 3 nuts off the bolts take a small hammer or back of your screwdriver and wack the ends of the 3 screws, this will pop the assembly loose from the clips without any pulling or the fear of breaking them. After trying it on the first one the second housing took my about 3 minutes from start to finish. Good luck.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...d-img_1561.jpg

the picture above shows the 3 attached bolts after the taillight assembly is removed, these are the ones you should wack when their poking out of the holes in the frame of your car.
i'll try this later. i spend about 35mins yesterday trying to yank the lights out, also tried pulling out with wires but i guess i was afraid to break stuffs lol.. this looks like a good solution!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TXG37S
There are instructions and diagrams in the Service Manual for removing the tailights. They start on page 200 of the exl (Exteror Lighting System) section. The steps are...

Caution: Disconnect the battery negative termanl or the fuse.
1. Remove Trunk rear plate.
2. Remove rear combination lamp mounting nuts.
3. Pull the rear combination lamp toward rear of the vehicle.
4. Disconnect rear combination lamp connector.
5. Remove the rear combination lamp.
Caution: Seal packing cannot be reused.
Bringing this back from the dead. Quick question. Placing my order with dd as we speak. What did you use as seal packing? I'm guessing 3m double sides may be overkill?

Quick Reply: Removing Tail Lights! Frustrated!