Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

blue slate have similiar paint issues as black?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
teh slab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blue slate have similiar paint issues as black?

Blue slate is pretty dark. To what degree will it be subject to the same issues as the black paint? Is maintenance of blue slate paint close to the headache that black paint is?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:19 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a blue slate but I think the maintenance of black is in a category of its own (swirls). Even though blue slate is dark but I don' think it'll be as difficult to take care of as black woud be.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shouldn't be as bad, isn't it metallic?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:32 PM
lingtsui

I heard from a friend that Nissan/ Infiniti paint is crap .. rock chips from things hitting it when on the freeways and also swirls. What about the red paint? What can I do, if there is anything that can be done as precaution?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in the past, nissan is known for having crappy paint....dunno about the new cars

u can have a clear bra installed as a precaution
Old 12-16-2007, 07:28 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
coming from a black G35 to a blue slate G37, I can tell you that blue slate is a lot better to keep clean.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fcarpio
coming from a black G35 to a blue slate G37, I can tell you that blue slate is a lot better to keep clean.
Thats good to hear. But how do the swirl marks show??
Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM
F1BY1

I agree with fcarpio and I too came from a black car (G35) to blue slate. Don't notice any swirls at all and it does not seem to show dirt/dust and/or rain residue as much as my black G35. IMO much easier to maintain, but I still think a well kept black car is the best color hands down.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:00 PM
kappa88af

I have the Blue Slate and it is easier to keep clean, however I have started to notice some swirl marks if I look closely. I was careful to use the micro fiber wash mitt and towel, have a second bucket to rinse, etc, etc. I think when the dealer washed it after one of my services, thats when they appeared.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
fcarpio

And I really love the blue slate because on overcast days or at night it looks dark grey. And on sunny days the blue really shows. I also think it is a low profile color, unlike the white or black (which are awesome but more flashy on a G).
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by myk1013
Thats good to hear. But how do the swirl marks show??
Nah, not really.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:50 AM
chain492

the swirls are a characteristic to black cars. you'll get it sooner or later.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
teh slab

Thanks for the replies. I did end up getting the blue slate and took a nasty cross country drive back home to Vegas through a Denver snow storm. When you guys said that the stock Sport package summer tires sucked on snow and ice, you weren't kidding! I guess those fat rear tires just can't cut through to pavement. After a short stay at my bro's, we found a window of opportunity between snows to drive west past Vail and it was all cruisin' from there with nice, dry pavement. I just heard on the news that I-70 was closed to all traffic for a whole day due to avalanche threat from the snowstorm that rolled in shortly after we left Denver.

I eventually finished my road trip adventure of about 2000 miles. So, I've learned almost all of the gadgets and now the car is past the break in period. Anybody figure out how to scroll to options past the first page on some menus? For example, if you look for nearby gas stations it'll list a few on the first page and show something like 4/33, with the first 4 being accessible with the dial or the steering wheel controls, but it doesn't seem to let me get past those first few. Guess I'll have to read the manual again.

I did have some bad luck--a tiny rock chip in the windshield smaller than the head of a pin. I was driving very conservatively and well back from any vehicle that I wasn't passing, but some raised truck with knobby tires and no mud flaps pitched some gravel way back at me. I'm so disappointed to get a chip during the first week, but I feel lucky not to have wrecked it on an iced up I-70. Anyway, it'll get its first hand wash from me today and I'll get to try my hand at removing some of the slight paint imperfections the car had when I picked it up.

I was very surprised to see just how gray Blue Slate is in certain light. For a moment when I checked the car the morning after purchase, I thought I had the wrong car! As others have mentioned, the blue comes out under certain conditions, including evening light. It always had a strong blue color until that morning's light, so it freaked me out.

Also, my dealer opted not to install the front license plate brackets (I forgot to ask him not to), so that's one small bonus in addition to getting the full voice command set.

Last edited by teh slab; 01-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
dvrming

Originally Posted by teh slab
Thanks for the replies. I did end up getting the blue slate and took a nasty cross country drive back home to Vegas through a Denver snow storm. When you guys said that the stock Sport package summer tires sucked on snow and ice, you weren't kidding! I guess those fat rear tires just can't cut through to pavement. After a short stay at my bro's, we found a window of opportunity between snows to drive west past Vail and it was all cruisin' from there with nice, dry pavement. I just heard on the news that I-70 was closed to all traffic for a whole day due to avalanche threat from the snowstorm that rolled in shortly after we left Denver.

I eventually finished my road trip adventure of about 2000 miles. So, I've learned almost all of the gadgets and now the car is past the break in period. Anybody figure out how to scroll to options past the first page on some menus? For example, if you look for nearby gas stations it'll list a few on the first page and show something like 4/33, with the first 4 being accessible with the dial or the steering wheel controls, but it doesn't seem to let me get past those first few. Guess I'll have to read the manual again.

I did have some bad luck--a tiny rock chip in the windshield smaller than the head of a pin. I was driving very conservatively and well back from any vehicle that I wasn't passing, but some raised truck with knobby tires and no mud flaps pitched some gravel way back at me. I'm so disappointed to get a chip during the first week, but I feel lucky not to have wrecked it on an iced up I-70. Anyway, it'll get its first hand wash from me today and I'll get to try my hand at removing some of the slight paint imperfections the car had when I picked it up.

I was very surprised to see just how gray Blue Slate is in certain light. For a moment when I checked the car the morning after purchase, I thought I had the wrong car! As others have mentioned, the blue comes out under certain conditions, including evening light. It always had a strong blue color until that morning's light, so it freaked me out.

Also, my dealer opted not to install the front license plate brackets (I forgot to ask him not to), so that's one small bonus in addition to getting the full voice command set.
Congrats on your new car! What dealer did you buy it from? Was your G37 priced close to invoice?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
teh slab

Thanks! I got it out the door for invoice, before the manufacturer rebate came into effect. (Bought in Nov, picked it up in Dec). I've PMd you some contact info.