Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Black Chrome OEM Grills

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Black Chrome OEM Grills

How many people would be interested in Black Chrome OEM grills for the G37S? I'm thinking of buying the paints & doing my Grill myself, and if it turns out well, thought I might offer them to others, so this is kind of a feeler.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i might be
depends on how the finish looks

haven't quite decided on what kind of finish i'd like
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Emon Crew

I think a black gun-metal finish, or a grey'ish platinum/ceramic finish would look really hot. Gotta see it first tho
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 AM
wcirksena

How do you paint it, isnt black chrome something the grill has to be dipped into like regular chroming?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
likwidfuzion

Originally Posted by wcirksena
How do you paint it, isnt black chrome something the grill has to be dipped into like regular chroming?
More than likely, you need to sand down the chrome first.

I'd be interested, depending on how it looks/turns out.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 AM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

It would be a black chrome paint (so it wouldn't actually be Chromium) but it will have that look. and yes the chrome would need to be sanded off first.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
It would be a black chrome paint (so it wouldn't actually be Chromium) but it will have that look. and yes the chrome would need to be sanded off first.
I'm definitely interested, but would need to see it. Not to be disrespectful in any way, but what makes you qualified to do this? Are you an auto paint/repair person?

Have you ever done this before? What kind of paint will you use? Auto lacquer is really the only thing that will hold up.

I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing. I've got an airbrush that I use to paint model cars, planes and spacecraft. I also have a source for pre-mixed auto lacquers to shoot.

My only hesitation is removing the chrome from the stock grille. I think the way to go is to strip the chrome off, as opposed to sanding it. Unless the surface is perfectly smooth, the chrome will highlight every imperfection in the base surface.

I know several guys have had their grilles painted by body shops, but I wonder how the grilles were prepped. You can paint over the chrome, but I have my doubts to how long it will hold up long term.

It's a great idea that would solve the biggest gripe I've got about the car - the chrome front grille. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I think it would look good in flat black.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM
leeladisky

Painting the grill is a recipe for disaster: I did something similar on my previous car and the rocks chips, after 12 months, made it look horrible - like swiss cheese. Unless the grill is actually plated and, therefore, not subject to chips, it will not age well.

Lee
Old 12-15-2007, 01:15 PM
IP37

Originally Posted by leeladisky
Painting the grill is a recipe for disaster: I did something similar on my previous car and the rocks chips, after 12 months, made it look horrible - like swiss cheese. Unless the grill is actually plated and, therefore, not subject to chips, it will not age well.

Lee
that will depend on the prep / paint quality
Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
leeladisky

Originally Posted by IP37
that will depend on the prep / paint quality
While I would agree that the quality and prep will certainly slow the process, any painted surface will be a victim of rocks and road debris. Even the best of painted surfaces on an old Mercedes (12 step process) or a Porsche are victims- which is why 3M makes such a killing on their clear masks. A good friend of mine owns a body shop and actually coached me on the proper process to paint the emblems on my old Lexus. I used a 6 step process which included surface prep, primer, several very light coats of paint and several very light coats of clear. It looked GREAT for about 3 months and then started to look like swiss cheese.

Here is my plan: I plan to take my emblems and potentially my grill to a local jewelery store that can do nickel plating. Because it is an electrical process that actually atomically bonds the metals, it is not subject to chipping and will wear for years before slowly fading (unless you don't use any sort of chemicals to clean them and keep them waxed which will give a lifetime of wear). The process will be fairly inexpensive.

IMHO, this is the best route... YMMV.

Lee
Old 12-16-2007, 04:41 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

go for it vasily
Old 12-16-2007, 06:56 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will keep my eye on this thread....
Old 12-16-2007, 07:06 PM
sardento

what wheels are these above? i want them
Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 AM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Those are Volk GT-30's

Anyways, as far as my qualifications, I'm in construction so I do a fair amount of everything (paint work included). I have a automotive paint sprayer / compressor & all that, plus it doesn't take much to paint a grill. It will require a few coats of paint w/ wetsanding in between followed by a few coats of Clear.

I probably will wait until after the New Year to do this. I'll keep this updated when I do my grill w/ the results.

Quick Reply: Black Chrome OEM Grills