Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

tint in california

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Greddy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tint in california

i was just wondering for those who live in CA or any police...what is the law on tint for the driver and passenger windows. ive read places that 70%of sunlihgt has to go through but i want to kno for sure wat the legal limit is before i go get my tint
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

I thought it was anything behind the drivers and passengers front window can be completely blacked out...

just NOTHING on the front passenger / drivers side window's & windshield lower then 4" from the top...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM
G-WIZ KID

Here in Cali. U just can't tint the 2 front window. Anything in the back is optional.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Motor25

Originally Posted by Greddy37
i was just wondering for those who live in CA or any police...what is the law on tint for the driver and passenger windows. ive read places that 70%of sunlihgt has to go through but i want to kno for sure wat the legal limit is before i go get my tint
I'm a cop in SoCal

Technically, no tint at all is allowed on the front windows. Any other windows can be tinted as dark as you want as long as you have side mirrors.

Will this law stop people from getting tint on their cars? Prolly not.

Do what you wanna do, just be aware that you are taking a risk (however slight it may be) of getting pulled over if you have tint on the fronts.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Greddy37

thanks for the info
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 PM
GDogg

Isn't it true that you can't get pulled over for tint alone? I thought it was a secondary offense (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology), in that you would need to do something else like speeding etc to get pulled over, THEN get a ticket for tint? Maybe this differs by state...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GDogg
Isn't it true that you can't get pulled over for tint alone? I thought it was a secondary offense (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology), in that you would need to do something else like speeding etc to get pulled over, THEN get a ticket for tint? Maybe this differs by state...

Nope Cops can pull you over for just tint, but they normally dont waste there time for that
Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
IronChefCJP

Originally Posted by GDogg
I was pulled over by CHP for tint. I think it was his reason to pull me over to check to see what I had in my car (RSX-S). I had an exhaust and intake, lowered. He said he is pulling me over for the front tints, which I didn't argue. He asked me then to step on the gas a bit to hear the noise of the exhaust, but he said himself it wasn't bad. (it actually was quiet) He asked me if I had anything in the engine, I told him that yes, I do have an exhaust, and I was told that it was CARB exempt. He appreciated that I was upfront and honest, and only wrote me up a fix-it for the tint.

So yes, you can be pulled over for the tint. Just know what you're getting into.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor25
I'm a cop in SoCal

Technically, no tint at all is allowed on the front windows. Any other windows can be tinted as dark as you want as long as you have side mirrors.

Will this law stop people from getting tint on their cars? Prolly not.

Do what you wanna do, just be aware that you are taking a risk (however slight it may be) of getting pulled over if you have tint on the fronts.
If I ever get pulled over in Long Beach, I'm gonna ask "heeeyy aren't you Motor25 on the G37 forums?" Of course, there's a 99% chance that I'm wrong and he'll give me a sure ticket thinking I'm some weirdo

Anyway, I'm going to a couple tinting places within a week or so to see the difference between 70%, 50%, and 35% VLT (what I had on my Accord). I liked how 35% looked, but it was a little difficult to see outside at times. I'll probably jump on the 50.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM
GDogg

Good to know, thanks guys. I've had tint on 2 other cars, and never been pulled over / cited for it at all, so I was just wondering. Getting the tint done on the coupe tomorrow morning, hopefully won't get pulled over!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 PM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got my car limo tinted int the back windows,, i didnt bother putting in the front,, dont want to take the hussle of a cop pulling me over for that
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM
sfgr415
NorCal G

I am running 20% all around in San Francisco and I have not really had any issues with law enforcement, however, I know I will get busted some day.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
teh slab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20% even on front?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 PM
silent9o8

cops can do anything, crooked to coruppted ones in westminster vietnamese area we get pulled over just for having heads in the car make the good cops look bad
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 PM
SilkeG

Originally Posted by silent9o8
having heads in the car make the good cops look bad
As in bobble heads? Never seen those of cops.

Quick Reply: tint in california