Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Bicycle Rack Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
jab23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No bumper trimming on the coupe, but I think the sedan is different. I was able to bolt this on myself.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I Feel You...

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
No offense taken from anyone. You have to keep in mind that the rack would be on the car only once a week, and usually from 7:00 am to noon on a Sunday.

Think of the alternative - I have to leave the car with the wife!! I might as well back into a tree first and then wedge it into the first spot I could find closest to a WalMart entrance.
I understand not wanting to leave it with the wife, I loaned my G37 to the wife once, she brought it back with the rear right wheel severely scraped up where she turned too sharp and screwed up the factory rims...now I gotta decide if I want to spend $400 to fix, or just buy some rims.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hello...

I need to put on Curt Class 1 Hitch on my 09 G37 Sedan.
I need some pictures or video how to install cause I can't follow instruction. I really don't want to put it on but I think this best method to haul bikes around. Pls if you have any experience or know how to do this, pls let me know. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Okay guys.. with help of my dad, finally able to put hitch on my G37. Putting on was straight forward, but had to cut small pieces off the bummer and under car plastic.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Zyal8ter

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Installation

I managed to install the Draw-Tite trailer hitch from etrailer.com on my 09 G37 Coupe last weekend after following the discussion here. Here's the illustrated blow-by-blow:
  1. Remove tow hook extension from hitch with reciprocating saw.

2. Remove rear license plate.

3. Drill out aluminum fasteners that connect black plastic license plate holder to rear body plastic with 3/16" drill bit and slide holder up and out. Trace the hitch back plate outline and bolt holes on paper. Center the outline on the rear bumper with top of hitch aligned with top of bumper and center punch holes. Drill out exterior bumper holes first with 1/4" drill bit and finally with 1/2" drill bit. Carefully drill out top interior bumper holes from rear. Position the drill such that the chuck does not contact the exterior plastic when inserted all the way, and at a right angle to the bumper. This was parallel to the ground for me. Drill out the bottom interior bumper holes using the same angles.

Use 4 1/2"x4" M8 bolts with 2 washers, and 1 locking washer, and nut each to mount hitch to interior bumper surface. Insert top two bolts with exterior washer and mount hitch with interior washer, locking washer, and nut. It may be necessary to trim the bottom bumper plastic by about 1/4" to fit the hitch. Insert bottom two bolts with exterior washer. It may be necessary to trim the interior bottom two holes with the drill to allow the bolts to clear the hitch holes. Add remaining washers and nuts and torque to ? ft-lbs. (I'm not sure what torque value is appropriate here, as both the bolt and the bumper appear to be quite strong. I just cranked it down tight).

4. Replace license holder using appropriate fasteners. I used some spare bolts and locking nuts from my spare hardware pile. This is a plastic to plastic connection and only holds the license plate.

That's it! I took me an afternoon of running to the hardware store to get parts and replace a portable drill with old batteries (the new lion batteries are quite nice by the way). I spray painted the part of the hitch I sawed off to prevent rust. Below are some pictures of the completed hitch with a swagman bike rack. I drove it on the highway and some brutal backroad warrior stuff and it held up just fine, although it did sway some at lower speeds by design. I didn't notice any drag on the highway, but I don't dare to take it into hyperdrive yet. It really seems to be bomb-proof.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Devildog

Will it Fit a 2010 G37 X

Will this hitch fit a 2010 G37X Sedan and is the install the same

Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The hitch is made for the sedan, people have just made it work for the coupe. I was going to do the same until I got a gf that has an SUV to tow my single motorcycle trailer, lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 PM
macrylinda

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
LOL, spoken like a true "self-employed body builder". (per your profile)

Just curious, what do you drive?
You folks are funny. It's his car and his right to fit it into his lifestyle. Heck I am the guy that tried to put saddle bags on the back of a custom chopper. Everyone I spoke with said "You bought the wrong bike, shoulda got a touring bike". I said "does that mean when your saddle bags are empty you shoulda got a chopper"

Gurney,
I can't really see a way to do it without a hitch. Maybe a metal shop can fab one up for you? It should be very easy......

Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Hitch on G37 Sedan

Here's my setup for my G37 Sedan.
1)Curt 1 1/4 hitch receiver for G37

2)Swagman cross country 2 bikes for 1 1/4 receiver

When I am not using bike rack, I can disconnect from the hitch receiver. Depending on your car, hitch comes in different classes 1, 2, 3, and 4. Mine is 1 1/4 hitch, not sure if they make other size for G37. Make sure to read your car manufacture recommendation to find good size.

Installing hitch was pain in the butt. Aluminum Support was welded to bumper. My dad helped me with the install. I say in all, it took about 4 hours (newbie). Also note that Fascia had to be trimmed. You can't tell unless you stick your head under the bummer.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 AM
g37AWDS

roof Rack

Just curious why not just get a roof rack that holds 2 or 3 bikes? I know they have them for the seden.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

First being short 5 ' 4" it's not going to be easy to stand and load and unload my bike 3 or 4 times weekly.

I think there is more risk of putting on scratches when using roofing option. It takes me 10 seconds to mount and dismount bike with this feature.

Also some day I want be able to pull jet ski or haul stuff around...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 AM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My answer

Originally Posted by g37AWDS
Just curious why not just get a roof rack that holds 2 or 3 bikes? I know they have them for the seden.
My reason for this is that I also sometimes tow a light trailer in various configurations. I already had the trailer. I rigged it to hold the bike rack so I can still use the bike rack and carry an "expanded trunk" on the trailer, too. Soon the trailer will be used for Kayaks. I only use the trailer in the summer when my girls and I go off to TN for weeks at a time. While we are stationary, and a few time in the other seasons I use only the bike rack. I don't want an SUV. I wanted, and have, a coupe that pulls a small trailer or bike rack.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 PM
CheapWhine

G37 Sedan with 1UpUSA rack

It seems to be sacrilegious to many on this forum to do anything to their car except for performance, sound, appearance or general bling mods on their cars, but I go mountain biking several times a week and really needed some to carry my bikes. Disassembling my muddy bike and trying to wedge into the trunk is not an option, so I looked for something else. I studied the solutions in this thread and thought I should contribute back in this, my first posting to the forum.

I recently got a G37 sedan (my first Infiniti) and knew right away that my existing roof rack was not going on the new car. I ended up with the standard sedan hitch (Curt 11499) and did not have to cut off the extension as is necessary for the coupe, which I hope will provide a bit more twisting strength. I was a bit disappointed to have to put a hitch on at all, but I am pretty pleased with the result. I think it is minimally intrusive when the rack is not on the car.

I was a bit concerned that the hitch is only a Class 1 with a 200 lb weight limit. My bike (or several bikes) aren't that close in terms of static weight, but I wanted a rack that had a fairly short "lever arm" to minimize the stress on the hitch-car junction which I expected to be the weakest part of the system. I think the stressed created by the bikes and rack as the car is in motion are higher than with a trailer which carries most of the load on its own axle, so I didn't want to push things to the limit. I like tray racks and don't like the hanging ones, which also makes the lever arm between the end of the hitch and the point where the bike's weight rests on the rack much lower. All other things being equal, I also wanted a light rack. Some of the solutions others have chosen are pretty customized. That means inflexibility and added expense in most cases, so I chose to go with a "standard" commercial system.

I investigated all the various racks I could find and ended up with a 1UpUSA Quik Rack. This fits the 1 1/4" receiver in the Class I hitch and mounts close to the bumper (a shorter lever arm). It is made out of aluminum, so it is much lighter than steel alternatives, but it is plenty strong. Another thing I liked about it was the ability to fold up for easier storage when not on the car. I usually carry just my bike, so the single tray works great. When I take a friend, the second rack quickly bolts on. We are able to adjust the bikes side to side to avoid handlebar-saddle interference. This doesn't seem to be possible on most other racks but it is a cool feature.

The bikes seem very stable driving on the freeway, even "a bit" above the posted speed limits. This rack has almost no wind noise, quite unlike my previous roof rack. The only downside so far is that it a bit of a pain to put a lock on. The rack does not include a lock but that is only slightly less secure than the "locks" that are built into some other racks. Securing the cable/chain to the hitch is a bit of a pain when the bikes are loaded, but this may be generally true for most hitch mounted racks.

I have only had the rack for a little while, but so far so good. Several of my friends have really liked this rack and the way it looks on my car (but what else would friends say??).

Here are a few pictures of my setup:
G37-1Up USA Rack
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

@CheapWhine that rack looks really nice. I like that it does not cover up license plate with bike mounted. Also color matches your car color really well. Do you know if it comes in different colors?

It's very cool design where middle bar is not needed to hold it securely. Only disadvantage would be price.. for two bike mount system that will set you back $500. But I think you get what you pay for. If money was not a concern, I would definitely try this system.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 AM
CheapWhine

Thanks for the comments test007. I don't think it comes in any other color. I suppose you could get it anodized (its aluminum) or powder coated but I would recommend against it because it is bound to wear near some of the pivot or slide points.

I agree about the price, but all of the better bike racks are pretty expensive. I justify it to myself based on the amount that I ride.

It certainly gets the attention of other riders. Everyone wants to know what it is and where I got it. I really like the ability to adjust two or more bikes side to side so they don't bang into each other. I went riding with friends last night and several of them had had to fiddle with their expensive racks to get the bikes to fit. The fold-up capability is another big plus.

One slight drawback I forgot to mention is that the rack (and probably any hitch rack) causes a false alarm with rear-facing proximity sensors. This is not a big deal after the first time it happens.

Quick Reply: Bicycle Rack Options