Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Questions on AFS

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Questions on AFS

Mods please move this if it's not in the correct section.

Hey guys -

I did not review my manual completely however, I have been using the quick reference card alot.

I don't have an issue, I am just trying to understand the AFS feature on the G37 since this is my first car with it.

The right side swivels at 15 degrees and the driver's side swivels at 5 degrees. I never noticed the feature until yesterday at night, and I was sitting in the 7eleven parking lot and decided to turn my wheels to face right. I saw the headlights move, and then I decided to center the wheel. headlights went to center. I moved to the left, and it appeared that the headlights did not move or maybe a small fraction?

This is normal right? Why not make the AFS swivel both headlights at a 15 degree angle? I was on a back road yesterday and it would have been nice to have the headlights swivel equally in both directions. There were more left turn curves than right turns. Can someone give me a little more info. I went to Lexus and Infiniti websites but, they do not give out detailed information that I am looking for.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its to keep you from blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
leeI35G35

Originally Posted by Callaway
I think its to keep you from blinding oncoming traffic.
hmmm. I kind of figure that, I wished the car had a button to change the swivel rotation like I had on my Qx4 to move the lights up and down. That was a good feature to not blind on coming traffic or someone in front of you.

I guess that was a dumb question since I was actually expecting the lights to swivel more on the driver's side or give me an option for swivel degrees.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
InfinitiSalesCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
While the benefits of xenon headlights in providing greater nighttime visibility are becoming well known, Infiniti takes this feature one step farther, with an Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) that adjusts lighting patterns of the headlamp automatically according to steering angle and vehicle speed. The headlights can also be adjusted up or down (four settings with a range of up to 1.93 degrees,) through use of a switch mounted on the instrument panel.
AFS helps provide enhanced nighttime visibility, especially on mountain or switchback roads.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Am I missing something or is there no headlight adjustment switch on the G37? If there is, I guess I should actually take the time to read the owners manual.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Am I missing something or is there no headlight adjustment switch on the G37? If there is, I guess I should actually take the time to read the owners manual.

^^ anyone got an answer for this?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
bostonmerlin

there is no adjustment setting for this feature.. having read the car docs front to back.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Anyone gotten high-beamed yet? The projectors on this car are really bright. I think it's because this is the first vehicle I've had that had quality HID projectors. My previous cars had either halogen or reflector HID's.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
sanscu

Quote: "I guess that was a dumb question since I was actually expecting the lights to swivel more on the driver's side or give me an option for swivel degrees."

Don't feel bad cause after reading the first post, I was stumped. That was until I read the reply.

I was so sure about up/down adjustment that I spent more minutes looking for that button than any other button on the car. Only thing I see is the instrument panel brightness adjustment buttong but no up/down adjustment buttons. My guess is that the lower coupe will not need to have up/down.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any adjustment info isn't posted in the owner's manual, but you'll be able to find it in the service manual.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 AM
InfinitiSalesCA

There is no up and down adjustment for the headlights on the G37. That feature only comes on the SUV's.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
leeI35G35

Originally Posted by InfinitiSalesCA
There is no up and down adjustment for the headlights on the G37. That feature only comes on the SUV's.
I was just about to say that. My Qx4 had the Up and down feature so I was picturing the FXs to have the swivel (AFS) option, and the up and down feature. That must be pretty cool. I must check out an FX one day.

I still wish the driver's side had a swivel degree option.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 PM
bruddahmanmatt

Originally Posted by leeI35G35

I was just about to say that. My Qx4 had the Up and down feature so I was picturing the FXs to have the swivel (AFS) option, and the up and down feature. That must be pretty cool. I must check out an FX one day.

I still wish the driver's side had a swivel degree option.
FXs do NOT have AFS. You can adjust the height of the beam (up/down) on the left hand side of the gauge binnacle but the lights do not swivel (left/right) like the AFS equipped headlights on the G and M.