Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

IKey with no function

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 10:43 AM
G37Germany
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IKey with no function

First, Hello from Germany. Unfortunately there is no G37 Community in Germany, so may i will find same help here ...
Car ist 2011 G37 convertible

Problem. No IKey function , Have to close/open door by pushing the key-buttons, For Ignition i have to put the key in the key-Slot.

What I have done before it fails:
The Story begans with the famous steering lock modul issue. Unfortunately my model has the modul deep under the dashboard right to the steering column - (not like the most videos)
So i was unable to get the modul out. (with my limited skills) I tried to milling the cap ot the modul off , but give up after a while, at least bridged the brightblue-cable to ground like suggested - and it Works ! After that i disconnected the fuse of the modul .
So my modul is really damaged now, unfortunately i dont know if damaging the modul or bridging solved the problem.

But now i have no more ikey function (before it works)
surely it has something to do with the action, but what could it be ?

Has the steering lock modul something to do with the IKey function ? The fuse ?
futher:
I removed the Undercover of the dashboard for reaching the module , with all the plugs (Im almost sure i reinstall them correct)
Battery disconnect
Remove driver-seat

Anyone can see what of this action is responsible for the IKey-Problem ?

Regards
Markus

Old 07-31-2024, 06:58 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts
Markus,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your iKey system. The "Door & Lock" Factory Service Manual for your 2011 convertible is here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...2011%2FDLK.pdf
scroll down below the viewing window and you can "click here to download a copy"

Simple questions first (don't be insulted):
Do you have more than one iKey and if so are both malfunctioning the same way?
Can you check to be sure your BCM has not gotten wet? Check the passenger footwell for wet carpet.
The odd thing is that your fob buttons work but the request buttons - like on the driver's door and ignition - do not. That's all handled by the BCM so I'm not sure where those two parts of the system are separated. Or for example if there are separate fuses involved. Dig into that FSM and see if you can do some tracing. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:28 AM
G37Germany
Registered Member

Thanks
read the DLK and couldnt find how the steering Lock module is involved in the ikey Problem,
Both Keys dont function ....
But, after writing the opener i remembered another step i was trying for the "steering lock module issue"
I first tried with a friend who had a FSM , to fix the problem with trying some settings, without a real plan what we do.
may with this action, we deactivated the ikey-function.
Thats my hope, but it takes a while , my friend with the FSM comes along. I will report.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:18 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

I'm still unclear what's happening but here's another manual that might explain the connection with the steering lock unit:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...2011%2FSEC.pdf
(scroll down to download)
You could try reregistering one of your iKeys but you need to know if that "handshake" communication system is still functional...
Old 08-01-2024, 11:51 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Germany
Problem. No IKey function , Have to close/open door by pushing the key-buttons, For Ignition i have to put the key in the key-Slot.
What "key buttons?" On the key fob (remote)?
Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
Can you check to be sure your BCM has not gotten wet? Check the passenger footwell for wet carpet.
The odd thing is that your fob buttons work but the request buttons - like on the driver's door and ignition - do not. That's all handled by the BCM so I'm not sure where those two parts of the system are separated.
While not impossible, the 'Verts are less likely to suffer from water leaks in the BCM area due to the different drainage design for the RHT- and no sunroof. Still possible through the cowls, though.

As for the BCM separation, see below.
Originally Posted by G37Germany
I first tried with a friend who had a FSM , to fix the problem with trying some settings, without a real plan what we do.
may with this action, we deactivated the ikey-function
What settings and how?

In your AV headunit there is a separate menu setting for "Intelligent Key Unlock." This setting turns the driver/ passenger-side door handle switch(es) ON or OFF. Make sure this setting is turned to ON. This is the bridge between the Door Locks using the iKey that the BCM looks for when the request switch(es) are pressed. I attached pictures from the owners manual.

DO NOT SELECT THE OPTION TO "RESET/INITIALIZE" SETTINGS! ONCE YOU ENSURE THE IKEY SETTING IS TURNED ON, JUST PRESS "BACK" REPEATEDLY TO EXIT THE SYSTEM OR TURN THE CAR COMPLETELY OFF!

All that said, depending on how much "damage" you did to the ESCL (steering lock module) it is possible that some of the internal switches are not fully set which is impairing communication between the CAN and K-Line buses.

Do you have a quality code scanner? Apps like Torque and OBDFusion are able to scan ALL of the modules and check for any possible stored/ pending codes.

Start with the simple things first...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-01-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
G37Germany
Registered Member

sorry, didnt notice the last answer ...

Finally a friend with ODB2-Scanner comes along. ...
The function was deactivated by system - We activated it in the menu , and suprise, suprise - everything works

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Yay! Glad that was the simple answer.
ILM-NC to the rescue again.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 1,061 Posts
I get it right once in a pale blue moon.