Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Infotainment doesn’t work at all plz help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infotainment doesn’t work at all plz help

Couple months back, I bought a G37 coupe. The car had front end damage and everything since then has been replaced. The car also had a blown dash airbag so the dash was replaced. Since the replacment of the dash, the entire center infotainment does not work at all. Does not respond at all this includes things like the emergency lights, the stereo and most importantly the AC (currently almost 100F). The stero works utilizing the USB/Aux port, but the volume control and anything in the middle doesn’t work at all. You can modulate the volume from the wheel, but anything in the middle is unresponsive. What could be the issue and how can I solve it as I really do need AC. Sorry for lack of images! PLEASE HELP! (Not mechanically inclined whatsoever as you can tell). Something to note that the AC was tested( via the engine bay) and it is working, but it will not let me switch it to cold air. Additionally the green light that usually comes on when you press the button isn’t coming on for any of the switches which leads me to believe something is unplugged to some capacity. Once again PLZ HELP

Edit
Old 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
#1- What year? With or without NAV?
#2- Who did the repairs? A backyard mechanic or a licensed repair shop? If a repair shop replaced the dash, go back to them and have them check everything over.

That said, being you are "not mechanically inclined whatsoever," any advise or suggestions that are recommended will be potentially opening another can of worms... Mess with the wrong wire and you'll "brick" your car. Not to say we can't help, but it will be difficult based on your lack of skills.

I think you are on the right track, however. Either something is unplugged or, as is more likely than not, some connectors are in the wrong location. It is very easy to mix up some of the connectors for the radio and the AC Amp- which handles most of your issues. Unless you are fluent in reading/ understanding wiring diagrams, it is in your best interest to either return to the shop that did the initial dash replacement, or take the car to someone knowledgeable who can double check all of the wiring.

And, I have to state the obvious: did you check all of the fuses?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-01-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:45 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
#1- What year? With or without NAV?
#2- Who did the repairs? A backyard mechanic or a licensed repair shop? If a repair shop replaced the dash, go back to them and have them check everything over.

That said, being you are "not mechanically inclined whatsoever," any advise or suggestions that are recommended will be potentially opening another can of worms... Mess with the wrong wire and you'll "brick" your car. Not to say we can't help, but it will be difficult based on your lack of skills.

I think you are on the right track, however. Either something is unplugged or, as is more likely than not, some connectors are in the wrong location. It is very easy to mix up some of the connectors for the radio and the AC Amp- which handles most of your issues. Unless you are fluent in reading/ understanding wiring diagrams, it is in your best interest to either return to the shop that did the initial dash replacement, or take the car to someone knowledgeable who can double check all of the wiring.

And, I have to state the obvious: did you check all of the fuses?
First I want to thank you for your response and I would like to add that this is my first time posting ina forums so I am still trying to navigate this. The car is a 1/200 anniversary coupe (2010) includes the navigation package. Fuses are not burnt. I checked the fuses next to the battery, but not the ones by the pedals. I’m assuming that the individual that swapped the dash did not put the connections in the right area. Do you have a diagram, I have colleagues who are more mechanically inclined that I can have help me out. The body shop is a licensed body shop, but they said they won’t be able to get me back in until next week and it’s an hour drive there and back which is why I’d like to rectify the issue if possible seeing as next week it’s going to be in the 100s all week sadly. Once again thank you for the response!
Old 09-02-2022, 09:09 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

We were all "newbies" at some point in time or another so no worries.

All of the information is you need is in the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Go here and download sections AV (Audio/Visual) and PG (Power/Ground) - though if you have time I would download the whole manual as that link is known to go bad once in a while.

From there, you can identify the different connectors based on location and wire color/ pinout.

There are two connectors that go to the Unified Meter/AC Amp- this is a small, white, plastic rectangular box that is mounted on the headunit. It can be VERY easy for one or both of those connectors to get accidentally plugged into the headunit and vice versa. It has happened before to many folks on here.

That aside, WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED!, I would start removing everything and make note of every connector as you disconnect them until you have the headunit removed from the car. Unless the screen did not work as well you can leave that connected. Then it is a matter of verifying what goes where with the factory manual. Sounds difficult, really it is not.

It might help to take pictures of the connectors (with wiring) as you go. That way, if you or your buddies can't figure it out and if all else fails, you can post them here and i could point out what goes where.

Wouldn't hurt to check footwell fuses as well, just to rule out that possibility.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-02-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:50 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by MrKad
First I want to thank you for your response and I would like to add that this is my first time posting ina forums so I am still trying to navigate this. The car is a 1/200 anniversary coupe (2010) includes the navigation package. Fuses are not burnt. I checked the fuses next to the battery, but not the ones by the pedals. I’m assuming that the individual that swapped the dash did not put the connections in the right area. Do you have a diagram, I have colleagues who are more mechanically inclined that I can have help me out. The body shop is a licensed body shop, but they said they won’t be able to get me back in until next week and it’s an hour drive there and back which is why I’d like to rectify the issue if possible seeing as next week it’s going to be in the 100s all week sadly. Once again thank you for the response!
More than likely its a disconnected connector or backwards connected meter.

Really cool car, just pray you never have any 4WAS issues. We have one at the shop right now with a bent rear subframe and trying to find a 4WAS subframe for a coupe is worse than finding IPL branded Monacos
Old 09-02-2022, 12:02 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL

Really cool car, just pray you never have any 4WAS issues. We have one at the shop right now with a bent rear subframe and trying to find a 4WAS subframe for a coupe is worse than finding IPL branded Monacos
when I bought the car crashed every single light was on the dash and the alignment was terrible. Had to drive at like a 45 degree angle to go straight it was horrible. On the dash it indicated that I had a 4WAS light on, but once I got the alignment everything turned off fortunately. I hope you guys can figure out what the issue is. I’m thinking it’s also so the wires connected in the wrong areas. Me and my more mechanically inclined friend are going to look at all the connections and see if they are inputted in the wrong areas so I can finally have my ac back.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

This is from a 2008, but the amplifier connections will be the same for your 2010. This is the area you need to make sure is correct:

Notice the yellow tape? Make sure those two connectors are plugged into the small, white plastic box and not into the headunit.

Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-02-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:17 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

Bro I really appreciate it. You literally just gave me a how to step by step fix it which is what I appreciate. I will be tackling this issue at some point today or tomorrow so stay tuned to see if we end up fixing it. Also what foot fuses should I check specifically? I will take detailed pictures of the process.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:21 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL

Try Sacramento City Auto Parts they specialize in VQs. They dismantle them all the time shouldn’t have an issue locating one from them.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:39 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

... what foot fuses should I check specifically?
ELEC PARTS (IGN)
ELEC PARTS (BAT)
AUDIO/MIRROR

Though while the battery is disconnected I would check them all.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:00 AM
MrKad
Registered Member

ELEC PARTS (IGN)
ELEC PARTS (BAT)
AUDIO/MIRROR

Though while the battery is disconnected I would check them all.

UPDATE***
So i removed everything and checked all of the plugs and found one unplugged. So then I plugged everything back in, and the ac kind of works now. It no longer blows hot air and now blows cold air and the center controls are now responsive with the ***** working and the emergency lights working. The issue still remains that the ac is not working at full capacity and it seems like some of the vents are just closed completely but some are open and not to full capacity either. The screen display doesn’t work at all anymore in the sense that it’s just a gray screen, but everything works. The backup camera works and pops up on the screen when put into reverse, as well as music through the usb but now the issue still remains why is the ac not blowing to full capacity and why are some closed and now why is the screen gray and unresponsive. Once again thanks everyone for the help! Also if you could include the diagram for the head unit and what controls go into the head unit that would be helpful as well if possible! Once again thanks everyone for your help!
Old 09-03-2022, 09:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It still sounds like a connector is in the wrong place. If the blend doors are not working, then either those motors are not connected or there is a issue with the amplifier (white plastic box). I went on eBay and found this image. It will show you exactly what connectors go where:

Is the blank screen a new symptom or did it not work before?

As for the factory manual, there are way too many pages to post here. Take a few minutes, go to NicoClub, and download them to your laptop, PC, iDevice, etc...
Old 09-03-2022, 02:49 PM
MrKad
Registered Member

It still sounds like a connector is in the wrong place. If the blend doors are not working, then either those motors are not connected or there is a issue with the amplifier (white plastic box). I went on eBay and found this image. It will show you exactly what connectors go where:

Is the blank screen a new symptom or did it not work before?

As for the factory manual, there are way too many pages to post here. Take a few minutes, go to NicoClub, and download them to your laptop, PC, iDevice, etc...
the blank screen happened after I attempted to fix the issue. The head unit (the screen) how many wires are plugged into the head unit? Is it just the white clip and the brown smaller one? Also we found that one of the clips was not even plugged in at all which is why none of the buttons would work in the middle. After plugging that clip in all of the buttons like the emergency lights, and the volume controls started to work again but now the screen went grey. I need a picture of the head unit as well to see if I have the connections wrong.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎
That is the headunit.
I need a picture of the head unit as well to see if I have the connections wrong.
The amplifier is the small, plastic box (w/ two (2) connectors) mounted atop the big, square metal headunit. The headunit has four (4) white connectors and several others that can't get mixed up. The gray/brown cable goes to the display.

The display has two (2) connectors: one white and one gray/brown that goes to the headunit.

Here is the back of the display (image from eBay):

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-03-2022 at 03:11 PM.