Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Modding the OEM Navigation Head Unit / Gaining GT-R MFD & Other Functions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 08:52 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 329 Likes on 145 Posts
Yesterday I finished up the wiring diagram for a USB to TTL adaptor which provides plug and play terminal access.
Using an Arduino for this is a great solution, but requires you to know how to wire and program it.
This is just another way of doing it. (Special thanks to iCrap for showing how he got this to work!)

The USB to TTL adapters should arrive within the next week and then I hope to get terminal access.

I also spent a few hours searching for data sheets of the ICs on the main/navigation board.
As it turns out, there is a 32-Mb (4M × 8-Bit/2M × 16-Bit) flash memory (S29JL032J) and I suspect it holds the boot and core OS.

I have ordered a TSOP48 to DIP 48 adapter (shown below) and a few spare S29 ICs.
The plan is to use an Arduino Due and build a PCB that uses this adapter. Then I hope to be able to dump the flash memory.

It shouldn't be too difficult, after all, it is just memory. (meaning you set the address, the required enables and then read the data)

I don't have a timeline for the flash dump, as the priority is getting terminal access to work, and then a working test bench nav system with screen and buttons.
The following 3 users liked this post by MotorvateDIY:
iCrap (11-16-2022), ILM-NC G37S (11-16-2022), takemorepills (11-20-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Invalid303
If someone can get this to play Doom, thatd literally be amazing. Who needs to use the radio when you can play doom? Be even cooler to get it to use the dial to move and the fm/disc buttons to shoot.
From personal experience after installing an android tablet in the Navi spot of my old G35 I can tell you playing games gets boring really quickly.
You are not going to play these games with the car off. You'll be uncomfortably leaned forward trying to press buttons with the car on A/C blasting.
Not only it will get tiring after 5 minutes but if you get to actually some time in you'll have wasted $10 in fuel.

A teenage dream with no thorough plan behind it that will require significant work to get it done, the only thing it would be good for is for cool social media points and to show off the work that person can do.

The following 3 users liked this post by BULL:
harbin9er (12-21-2022), iCrap (11-16-2022), takemorepills (11-20-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 10:18 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Not to mention that "playing games," like the "unmentionable" hack to watch video, is illegal for front facing displays. While I am all for mods, we have enough crashes due to moron drivers on their damn phones- let's not give them another distraction, please.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
iCrap (11-16-2022), takemorepills (11-20-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:39 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Since the main processor/GPU on the nav board doesn't seem to have a publicly available datasheet, and with the version of VxWorks being very old, I don't think it is possible to compile a new program to do anything new, never mind play games.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:01 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Invalid303
If someone can get this to play Doom, thatd literally be amazing. Who needs to use the radio when you can play doom? Be even cooler to get it to use the dial to move and the fm/disc buttons to shoot.
Originally Posted by BULL
From personal experience after installing an android tablet in the Navi spot of my old G35 I can tell you playing games gets boring really quickly.
You are not going to play these games with the car off. You'll be uncomfortably leaned forward trying to press buttons with the car on A/C blasting.
Not only it will get tiring after 5 minutes but if you get to actually some time in you'll have wasted $10 in fuel.

A teenage dream with no thorough plan behind it that will require significant work to get it done, the only thing it would be good for is for cool social media points and to show off the work that person can do.
Its a meme, https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/it-runs-doom/videos he does not really want to play a 1993 video game but just needs to boot it for the social media points

The following users liked this post:
iCrap (11-16-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 01:38 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Its a meme, https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/it-runs-doom/videos he does not really want to play a 1993 video game but just needs to boot it for the social media points
I feel sooooo ****ing old right now

Know your Meme
iCrap (11-17-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 10:12 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Update:
I spent the afternoon testing my USB to AV adapter.
This gives plug and play access to the AV unit console/command line.

Remember the AV unit I bricked when programming it with an app that crashed?
Well, it isn't bricked, as the USB to AV converter works with it!!
I used the "dusa" command (NEVER DO THIS UNLESS YOU CAN REPROGRAM THE AV UNIT!!) to do a factory restore and will try to program it again, but this time via the console.

Since I had already drawn up the schematic, I thought I would render a 3D model of what a production version could look like:

Anyways, next weekend I will continue to poke around the system to learn more.
Big thanks again to @iCrap for sharing his knowledge on this!
The following 2 users liked this post by MotorvateDIY:
Bill238 (08-10-2023), iCrap (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 10:51 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
awesome! you can reprogram it with the XRCNF 2 command

are we sure dusa factory restores it? my understanding was "delete user data" I have run it before and I noticed it cleared out the saved numbers and stuff. I know i wrote factory reset in the OP but I don't think it actually resets the vehicle configuration table.

This might help you

2013 G37 Vehicle Configuration Table
FACTORY CONFIGURATION TABLE DATA [ Vehicle Information ] Vehicle-body shape = 0x42 (Sedan 4Door) Vehicle type = 0x5341 (L53A,D53A,E53A) CAN generation = 1 (3 generations) Destination = 1 (US) Steering SW = 2 (06IT type) Steering = 0 (LHD) Air conditioner = 2 (06IT dual temp with no operation) Air conditioner diagnosis = 1 (ON) Background color = 0 (Infiniti for Premium/M3H) Opening animation = 0 (Infiniti) Drive information = 0 (OFF) Fuel information = 1 (ON) Average fuel consumption = 1 (Numeric number) TPMS information = 0 (OFF) Maintenance information = 1 (ON) Off-road information = 0 (OFF) half-shut warning information = 0 (OFF) Vehicle configuration = 1 (communication) Display for clock = 0 (OFF) Anti-theft = 0 (None) HEV = 0 (OFF) Driving type(HEV) = 0 (Front) Judgment for D-OP = 1 (M-OP) VoiceRecognition = 1 (ON) Roof interlock = 0 (OFF) CAN With or Without = 1 (with) AUX kind = 0 (without) [ Camera ] Camera system = 2 (Rear camera) With or without anticipatory line = 1 (Anticipatory line) Parameter of anticipatory line / Steering gear ratio =

Last edited by iCrap; 11-20-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:10 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
awesome! you can reprogram it with the XRCNF 2 command
That's my hope!

As for "dusa" here is my xrcnf 2 result:
(Note the vehicle body and vehicle type)

Code:
DEFAULT CONFIGURATION TABLE DATA
[ Vehicle Information ]
Vehicle-body shape = 0xFF ()
Vehicle type = 0xFFFF ()
CAN generation = 1 (3 generations)
Destination = 1 (US)
Steering SW = 2 (06IT type)
Steering = 0 (LHD)
Air conditioner = 2 (06IT dual temp with no operation)
Air conditioner diagnosis = 0 (OFF)
Background color = 0 (Infiniti for Premium/M3H)
Opening animation = 0 (Infiniti)
Drive information = 1 (ON)
Fuel information = 0 (OFF)
Average fuel consumption = 0 (Bar graph)
TPMS information = 0 (OFF)
Maintenance information = 1 (ON)
Off-road information = 0 (OFF)
half-shut warning information = 0 (OFF)
Vehicle configuration = 0 (None)
Display for clock = 1 (ON)
Anti-theft = 0 (None)
HEV = 0 (OFF)
Driving type(HEV) = 0 (Front)
Judgment for D-OP = 1 (M-OP)
VoiceRecognition = 1 (ON)
Roof interlock = 0 (OFF)
CAN With or Without = 1 (with)
AUX kind = 2 (VTR-Jack)
I suspect this is the same as the "Restore factory defaults" in the hidden Nav menu.
I can verify this, after re-programming.

Thanks for the G37 config data! As it turns out, I also have a 2013 AV unit... and yes, the configuration is the same
Old 11-20-2022, 11:33 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Huh that's weird. I swear I sent that command on mine and it didn't do that.

anyways,
now all you should have to do is set vehicle type to GT-R, and you can call up the MFD.
sys 2 9 1 0 0x5245 - Set vehicle body shape to GT-R
sys 2 9 1 1 0x5245 - set vehicle type to GT-R

Setting body shape is not required, and make no difference as far as I could tell. type is the important one.

Doing this should turn on the TPMS menu in the info screen like the GT-R has, but I could never get it to show up. Maybe you will have better luck
sys 2 9 1 13 1
Old 11-21-2022, 02:01 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
...this should turn on the TPMS menu in the info screen like the GT-R has, but I could never get it to show up. Maybe you will have better luck
sys 2 9 1 13 1
Calling the TPMS via the GT-R configuration will not work in the G. The TPMS module in the GT-T connects via CANBUS not the BCM like on the G37. This is why, I believe, we can not kill that damn idiot light on the G cluster. The configuration might pull up the TPMS "screen", but I do not think it will display any live data.

Hope I'm wrong. I'd love to KILL that light!!!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 11-21-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:57 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Calling the TPMS via the GT-R configuration will not work in the G. The TPMS module in the GT-T connects via CANBUS not the BCM like on the G37. This is why, I believe, we can not kill that damn idiot light on the G cluster. The configuration might pull up the TPMS "screen", but I do not think it will display any live data.
Hope I'm wrong. I'd love to KILL that light!!!
You bring up a good point.
As you mentioned, the G37 doesn't have a TPMS module like the GTR. It only has a 315 Mhz de-modulator (mounted behind the glovre box) that sends the raw data to the BCM.
AND guess what?
The BCM decodes it and sends the tire pressures on the CAN bus using the same ID and encoding!!
So, it should work!
Old 11-21-2022, 03:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah, live data is possible. We already have it on the Raspberry Pi setup with OpenDash. I'm sure I posted a picture somewhere but I can't find it now. I can watch the live data change as I drive.
MotorvateDIY (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 04:23 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

By using the console/ command line, is there a way to turn the TPMS OFF entirely and, if so, will it kill the cluster light? Work in progress?
Old 11-21-2022, 04:33 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

No, that can't be done from the AV module. You would need to probably have another device on the canbus sending fake data. Actually, I thought Motorvate has already done that

Quick Reply: Modding the OEM Navigation Head Unit / Gaining GT-R MFD & Other Functions