Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Connecting OEM reverse camera to android head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 01:57 PM
abz10
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting OEM reverse camera to android head unit

I recently bought a Junsun headunit for my g37 and notice they sent me wires for older model g37 so all the connector were wrong. After hours of testing each individual wire then cutting and connect it to the old connectors I got everything to work. The only thing left was the reverse camera which I had no idea where or how to look for. If anyone know how I can locate this wire and hard wire it to the head unit please let me know.

side note. Aftermarket headunit has a female rca cable for reverse camera which my 2011 Bose+nav doesn’t have a male for Id preferably like to cut a male rca and route the wires through that if it’s possible

thanks in advance

Last edited by abz10; 03-25-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:37 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 1,082 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. As I do not know the specifics of your aftermarket "Junsun" unit nor how it is wired, I can only take a stab at the basics.

Your camera issue is two-fold:
a) the headunit is what sends power (6V+) to the camera when you place the car in REVERSE;
b) the rear camera sends the IMAGE signal directly to the DISPLAY.

Technically, you can cut and use a old ♂RCA cable for your CAMERA IMAGE (Pin 8/White Wire) and SHIELD (Pin 7/Black Wire):

Then the issue becomes how to turn the camera ON when you place the car into REVERSE? Does the aftermarket unit handle that switching like the AV headunit does?

None of this takes into account that you will probably lose the "guide lines" that are superimposed over the rear image but that is a separate matter.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:13 PM
abz10
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
First, welcome to the forum. As I do not know the specifics of your aftermarket "Junsun" unit nor how it is wired, I can only take a stab at the basics.

Your camera issue is two-fold:
a) the headunit is what sends power (6V+) to the camera when you place the car in REVERSE;
b) the rear camera sends the IMAGE signal directly to the DISPLAY.

Technically, you can cut and use a old ♂RCA cable for your CAMERA IMAGE (Pin 8/White Wire) and SHIELD (Pin 7/Black Wire):

Then the issue becomes how to turn the camera ON when you place the car into REVERSE? Does the aftermarket unit handle that switching like the AV headunit does?

None of this takes into account that you will probably lose the "guide lines" that are superimposed over the rear image but that is a separate matter.
Thank you so much for the detailed information I really appreciate it. The product does say that it should function completely fine with the OEM setup just they failed to realize that my model car doesn’t match with what the headunit take. There is also a separate set of female RCA cable that connect to an app on the device I could also connect it to that but I’d have to open the app every time.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:20 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Working out the signal/shield wires should be easy.

You will just have to find the 6V+ (reverse switched) output signal from your aftermarket unit and connect that to pin 22 (should be a red wire) and connect pin 42 (should be a black wire) to any good ground.

After you get it fully installed and have had time to tinker with the device, perhaps you could share your thoughts / opinions on how well it performs...

Good luck!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-25-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:22 PM
abz10
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Working out the signal/shield wires should be easy.

You will just have to find the 6V+ (reverse switched) output signal from your aftermarket unit and connect that to pin 22 (should be a red wire) and connect pin 42 (should be a black wire) to any good ground.

After you get it fully installed and have had time to tinker with the device, perhaps you could share your thoughts / opinions on how well it performs...

Good luck!
so far the headunit is actually very nice, responsive, major audio upgrade, updated Apple CarPlay, great video quality. I will post a detailed review once I figure out all the leftover features that need fixing as well as some time with the headunit before I post, only running for 3 days now let’s see how it holds up.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 09-19-2022, 11:47 PM
Amarks
Registered Member

Can someone help me identify the same camera pins for a 2013 no nav unit? I installed the Teyes Android head unit and everything works perfect except the reverse camera.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:08 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

You have to be a little more specific: Bose? Coupe/Sedan/'Vert?

Also, what camera pins does this Teyes thing need?
Old 09-20-2022, 09:18 AM
Amarks
Registered Member

This is a 2013 g37x sedan, Bose, non nav. This android unit comes with a standard RCA video cable. I have a harness adapter, but it is not pinned correctly. Reverse signal works, just need the video now (currently just shows black screen)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:15 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

You can get the CAM IMG signal from one of two connectors.
The M203 connector behind the AV headunit:

Pin #62 is the ("raw") CAM IMG as it comes directly FROM the rear camera.

Or, the M71 connector behind the display unit:

Pin #15 is the CAM IMG as it comes FROM the AV headunit WITH the guidance lines superimposed.

I would imagine you would need the signal from the AV unit as the TEYES thing probably has it own image processing. Either way, one or the other above should get you some video.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:29 PM
Amarks
Registered Member

Thanks for that! Super helpful! I chose to try the mz71 since it is a little more accessible. Based on the diagram above, does this look correct? I matched the wire colors, pin 14 and 15. Plugged it in, but still no image.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:35 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I think you have it backwards....

Shoot a pic of the M71 connector that is in the car...
Old 09-20-2022, 02:39 PM
Amarks
Registered Member

Front view, bottom view, top view

Old 09-20-2022, 02:51 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

This brown wire is the CAM IMG SIG that comes from the AV headunit. Make sure that the harness connector you have lines up to that pin.

Does this TEYES unit replace the OEM headunit? If so, you might have no choice but to take the CAM SIG as it comes from the camera itself (via M203).
Old 09-20-2022, 03:01 PM
Amarks
Registered Member

So this is how it plugs in, that brown one lines up with my yellow. The Teyes unit only replaces the screen, not the rest of the unit. It does have a crazy wiring harness that does god knows what, so I will probably have to take it out again to figure this signal out. It's a pain so I was trying to avoid it. Or maybe I should go aftermarket?
Old 09-20-2022, 03:02 PM
Amarks
Registered Member

Quick Reply: Help Connecting OEM reverse camera to android head unit