Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Upgrade 07-09 Non-Nav and Old Nav to: Newer 2010+ NAVIGATION Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 11:45 AM
OWC
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
This Kit looks fantastic!

Im currently in the search of those style connectors for my project. The ones I need is for the cluster which is the same as one of those in the audio area.
Trying to find the ones for the pedals was a nightmare and these I haven't had much luck.
Thank you.
If you can tell me which car (year, system type and all the part location(s) you need the connectors for I may be able to help you find the ones you want.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:33 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Just to bump this post, I actually purchased the OWC Harness and recently completed the swap on my '07 G35S (tech package, NAV/Bose/Rear Camera). The OWC harness made this swap a breeze- more info can be found on my build thread. Shout out to Chris for a fantastic product and amazing customer support!
The following 2 users liked this post by deep0542:
OWC (03-26-2022), RA081224 (03-24-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:42 AM
CarlW604
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Will this work for 2010+ cars with non nav ?
The following users liked this post:
OWC (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 12:24 PM
OWC
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CarlW604
Will this work for 2010+ cars with non nav ?
Yes. It works for Bose and Non-Bose equipped cars. Just be sure to choose the appropriate kit for your vehicle.

Last edited by OWC; 10-15-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:11 AM
jibJeb99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Fantastic find. Going to have to do some serious digging to see I can find all the connectors through digikey. Thank you.
I know this is an older post but if you're looking for the main power and speaker signal connector, I believe this 20-pin connector will fit:
https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/21699.html

And this is one of the other connectors (24-pin):
https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/248...Connector.html

Hope that helps!
Old 03-30-2023, 09:32 PM
D09G37x
Registered Member

Hey, i have a 2009 with bose and no nav… from my limited research, i would need the entire nav package plus antennas and a harness (either made or bought). As far as the nav package goes, is This everything I’d need?
trying to wrap my head around all this, it’s a lot of info. I have ordered a rear spoiler with oem camera, would doing this nav mod make my rear camera install any better/easier?
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by D09G37x
Hey, i have a 2009 with bose and no nav… from my limited research, i would need the entire nav package plus antennas and a harness (either made or bought). As far as the nav package goes, is This everything I’d need?
Your link basically shows the NAV version of what you currently have installed in your car- which is already 14-years-old. Wth this swap you are gaining next to nothing. Important to note 2008 and 2009 share the same setup. Everything changed for 2010+ models.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-31-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
D09G37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Your link basically shows the NAV version of what you currently have installed in your car- which is already 14-years-old. Wth this swap you are gaining next to nothing. Important to note 2008 and 2009 share the same setup. Everything changed for 2010+ models.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Ideally, the 2010 updated interface that would also allow me to utilize the backup cam I have coming in a more OEM way than hacking at my wiring harness…

Streaming music + backup cam would make me super happy

Last edited by D09G37x; 03-31-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:02 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

There are other, likely more inexpensive, options out there but...

For the 2010+ OEM swap, you will need basically everything that is shown in the eBay link you provided. HOWEVER, the items in that link ARE NOT 2010+. You will need:

- headunit;
- display;
- both switch panels (the dial one AND the "clock" one);
- GPS antenna;
- USB port (if you want USB); and
- wiring/ connectors/ GVIF & USB cables.

Keep in mind that the "newest" you can go with the OEM system is 2014, maybe 2015 which, by itself, is already 10 years old. This is why I suggest you look into other options.

As for the backup cam, you will still have to run a 4-wire loom from the deck lid, through the trunk and cabin, to the center console where it will get spliced into the headunit.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:46 AM
D09G37x
Registered Member

There are other, likely more inexpensive, options out there but...

For the 2010+ OEM swap, you will need basically everything that is shown in the eBay link you provided. HOWEVER, the items in that link ARE NOT 2010+. You will need:

- headunit;
- display;
- both switch panels (the dial one AND the "clock" one);
- GPS antenna;
- USB port (if you want USB); and
- wiring/ connectors/ GVIF & USB cables.

Keep in mind that the "newest" you can go with the OEM system is 2014, maybe 2015 which, by itself, is already 10 years old. This is why I suggest you look into other options.

As for the backup cam, you will still have to run a 4-wire loom from the deck lid, through the trunk and cabin, to the center console where it will get spliced into the headunit.
Cost wise, maybe I’d be better off looking at other options perhaps. I quickly priced out all the equipment I would need on ebay (without much effort, mind you) and it was approaching $500 (I am in Canada) and that didn’t include the antennas/usb or a harness if that’s the way I decide to go… That being said, the VLine option is ~600USD, so it’s still expensive. In your experience, what are good prices for the equipment typically? See attached pic, although am I right in my guess that I’m still missing the bracket for the screen?
If i upgrade to the 2010+ unit, do i still have to do the “forbidden mod” or is there an easier way to integrate the backup cam?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2023, 11:06 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Cost and tech-wise there are other, much better options out there. I would suggest you do your research and see what appeals to you.

I did this swap about 10-years-ago as all I wanted was USB. I have zero regrets and have had zero issues. However, if I wanted to do it all over again, today, I would pass. These units are aging and hard drive failures are, slowly, becoming more common. As for eBay pricing, there is no rhyme to reason to these listings. Deals can be had but you have to be patient, know exactly what you need, ie. Do your due diligence. Unfortunately, you must sort through a lot of muck on eBay these days. If I recall I paid less than $350 all-in back then. Are there any "pull-a-part" junkyards in your area?

The OEM camera will interface normally with the OEM headunit with no issues. The "forbidden mod" is for something altogether different and not required for the backup camera. You would re-use your existing brackets for the hardware.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:50 AM
D09G37x
Registered Member

Cost and tech-wise there are other, much better options out there. I would suggest you do your research and see what appeals to you.

I did this swap about 10-years-ago as all I wanted was USB. I have zero regrets and have had zero issues. However, if I wanted to do it all over again, today, I would pass. These units are aging and hard drive failures are, slowly, becoming more common. As for eBay pricing, there is no rhyme to reason to these listings. Deals can be had but you have to be patient, know exactly what you need, ie. Do your due diligence. Unfortunately, you must sort through a lot of muck on eBay these days. If I recall I paid less than $350 all-in back then. Are there any "pull-a-part" junkyards in your area?

The OEM camera will interface normally with the OEM headunit with no issues. The "forbidden mod" is for something altogether different and not required for the backup camera. You would re-use your existing brackets for the hardware.
Thanks for all this info, I will continue doing more research for sure. I will also look into some junkyards in the area and see if they have anything in their inventory. I will probably pick your brain again with more questions!
Old 04-10-2023, 08:21 PM
OWC
Registered Member

Ideally, the 2010 updated interface that would also allow me to utilize the backup cam I have coming in a more OEM way than hacking at my wiring harness…

Streaming music + backup cam would make me super happy
Hello and sorry for the late reply. But yes, with the upgrade you'd get streaming music + backup cam capability. You'd also get a much better high-res touchscreen display, bluetooth phone calls/controls, voice controllable nav, USB input, plus additional settings & features not found in the non-nav cars. By far the easiest, cleanest, & most proper way to upgrade is with the conversion harness kit that gives you everything you need, including a backup cam cable to connect an OEM or aftermarket camera. You'd just need the 4 OEM Nav parts, and camera to complete the mission. The alternative to that would be to hack and splice into your factory wiring harness and then purchase/create a few additional wiring/cable parts & connectors to do the conversion. That's something you may be able to do yourself or if have a shop do for you.

As to finding OEM parts, you can call/check your local recycling yard to see if they have any 2010-15 G37/Q40/Q60 coupe or sedans with Nav. You'll typically get the best price that way, since shipping isn't a factor. However, you can do the same check online and via the part numbers. If searching by part number, you'll want to ensure that the nav unit/radio specifically is from one of the aforementioned cars (since the part number is shared between other vehicles that can be programmed very differently).

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2023, 12:55 PM
D09G37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OWC
Hello and sorry for the late reply. But yes, with the upgrade you'd get streaming music + backup cam capability. You'd also get a much better high-res touchscreen display, bluetooth phone calls/controls, voice controllable nav, USB input, plus additional settings & features not found in the non-nav cars. By far the easiest, cleanest, & most proper way to upgrade is with the conversion harness kit that gives you everything you need, including a backup cam cable to connect an OEM or aftermarket camera. You'd just need the 4 OEM Nav parts, and camera to complete the mission. The alternative to that would be to hack and splice into your factory wiring harness and then purchase/create a few additional wiring/cable parts & connectors to do the conversion. That's something you may be able to do yourself or if have a shop do for you.

As to finding OEM parts, you can call/check your local recycling yard to see if they have any 2010-15 G37/Q40/Q60 coupe or sedans with Nav. You'll typically get the best price that way, since shipping isn't a factor. However, you can do the same check online and via the part numbers. If searching by part number, you'll want to ensure that the nav unit/radio specifically is from one of the aforementioned cars (since the part number is shared between other vehicles that can be programmed very differently).

Hope that helps. Good luck!
I assume with the voice controlled Nav, I’d need to upgrade the steering wheel to have the third button? Or will it work with my existing set of switches?
Old 04-12-2023, 11:50 AM
OWC
Registered Member

I assume with the voice controlled Nav, I’d need to upgrade the steering wheel to have the third button? Or will it work with my existing set of switches?
Good question. But no, there's no need to upgrade the steering wheel unless you really want to. The existing switches work just fine.

Quick Reply: Upgrade 07-09 Non-Nav and Old Nav to: Newer 2010+ NAVIGATION Setup