Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Non-nav touch screen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 04:21 AM
G37xMN
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Non-nav touch screen conversion

I知 looking to add a touch screen unit to my non-nav non-touch screen 2012 G37x sedan with Bose speakers. I found a touch screen lcd from a coupe on eBay for about $90. What else would I need for the conversion? I知 trying to install Apple CarPlay in my car.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:50 PM
G37xMN
Registered Member

Bump any help
Old 10-16-2020, 08:26 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
It is not as simple as swapping out the displays. The headunit would also have to be changed and even then it is NOT "plug-and-play." It would be akin to doing a full NAV swap that some of us have done.

For just a touchscreen, it is not worth it, IMO.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 AM
G37xMN
Registered Member

The reason I want to swap to a touch screen is bc this guy on Instagram @minized123456 found a company selling this hardware to add in apple CarPlay to his 370z.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:19 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

For one, I don't use/have need for this Android Auto/Apple CarPlay nonsense, so bear with me on that. I'm not even a fan of that Tesla-style thing, either. Anyway...

I'm not familiar with what has been done with the 370Z, however, I can almost bet he already HAD the touchscreen/NAV system. I just know that you can not just swap out the OEM displays and call it a day.

If you want it bad enough you will first have to swap out your entire system for a NAV system. THEN, you can look into adding the other stuff. Again, it is your car and your wallet. Therefore, it is your choice.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:07 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I'm not even a fan of that Tesla-style thing...
What is it about them that bothers you? I personally found them to look tacky since they don稚 look oem to the car. However, after I painted mine along with all the trim to match, it actually looks pretty clean. My mom wouldn稚 know know it didn稚 come in the car. Honestly just having that nice nav while I知 trying to find shortcuts through busy Miami is clutch. Pun intended.

Oh, and OP - just buy a Tesla thing if you want to bring AV to 21st century. Someone selling one right now in classifieds for cheap.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:02 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Let us just say that for some things I am very "old school." I am against the intrusion of certain technology into the cabin of the car. There are already too many distractions on the road to begin with. I have seen more than my share of people doing everything from G-rated to XXX-rated activities when they should be driving. Almost always with a damn phone in their hand. It is only going to get worse. And while the Tesla-style unit is not directly responsible for people's bad behaviors, it does introduce yet another platform for those behaviors- and distractions- to perpetuate. (end tangent)

Re: this Tesla-style thing. Most love them, it is just not my flavor. I have no use for any of those bells, gimmicks, and whistles. To me, they look ugly and ruin the classy look of the interior. Then there are the potential security concerns I have.

Now that I finished the heated steering wheel/paddle project, the only idea I am working on now is possibly relocating the NAV switch unit (dial one) and getting a larger screen (with better resolution) to bring it flush to the switch panel (clock one). Aside from that, once I added the headrest speakers last year, I am quite content with the OEM system.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 10-24-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
IMHO, no car needs a touch-screen for anything you can use with the car moving. You inherently have to look at the screen and then coordinate your hand/eye (all the while not focusing on the road) to use it. What's wrong with buttons? Especially, buttons that are uniquely shaped and/or located so you learn them by feel and don't have to look at them to use the AV system. Maybe I'm old and too used to airplanes - but then again, the center column of a G37 has a crapton of buttons compared to say a Mazda CX5 - maybe why I like it.

@G37xMN - look at what iCrap is doing with Raspberry Pi and a replacement screen. That might be more up your alley for Android Auto/Carplay, if you don't need the original screen or yours is pre-2010.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I still do not understand why Nissan/Infiniti "dumbed down" the voice command functions. If anything they should have further developed that technology instead of their "In-Touch" crap. After all, "modern" people are too accustomed to asking "this one," "that one," or the "other" for everything these days. I have visions of when Scottie (in Star Trek IV) was asked to use the keyboard instead of talking to the computer: "How quaint."

Oh well, sorry for getting off thread/topic...
Old 10-26-2020, 05:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I still do not understand why Nissan/Infiniti "dumbed down" the voice command functions. If anything they should have further developed that technology instead of their "In-Touch" crap. After all, "modern" people are too accustomed to asking "this one," "that one," or the "other" for everything these days. I have visions of when Scottie (in Star Trek IV) was asked to use the keyboard instead of talking to the computer: "How quaint."

Oh well, sorry for getting off thread/topic...
Imagine Scotty having to train his iPhone to understand that accent...