Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Alarm Blaring

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Burnyburn52
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm Blaring

Ive onwed my 2013 x coupe for about 4 years now and never experienced this before. Apparently if you lock your G with the key fob and use the actual key part to unlock the door manually, it will set off the alarm...? Thought it was kind of funny as I was at a shop and had to walk inside to get the key fob to stop the alarm even after manually locking it back up... Weird, but possibly expect the same results if you do as I do. Not sure if this is in the wrong section or has been reported before but figured I'd share a weird experience ive had with my G.

Thanks guy's
Old 02-27-2020, 04:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnyburn52
...Thought it was kind of funny as I was at a shop and had to walk inside to get the key fob to stop the alarm even after manually locking it back up...
Thanks guy's
Might make for a funny "ha ha" moment, but that is not normally how NATS/IVIS works. Unlocking the car either with the mechanical key, the door handle switch (w/fob in pocket) or with the key fob itself should turn off the "alarn."

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-27-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Burnyburn52
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Might make for a funny "ha ha" moment, but that is not normally how NATS/IVIS works. Unlocking the car either with the mechanical key or with the key fob should turn off the "alarn."
Thanks for the feedback. I didnt think it was out of the realm of possibility since it was originally locked with the keyfob, then unlocked with the key, while the keyfob itself was roughly 60 feet away. But assuming something is wrong, do you have any suggestions of what that could possibly be?
Old 02-27-2020, 04:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Sixty feet away is quite a distance. I'd repeat with the key in your pocket, see if you get identical results. Normally the active part of the fob is only energized when near the car, or one of the buttons is pressed.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:44 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
With the fob in your pocket you should be able to press the door request switch to turn the alarm off. Regardless, whether you have the fob or not, you should be able to turn off the alarm with the m-key (mechanical key). Are you able to open/close the windows with the m-key?

The funny part to me is that you actually use/used the m-key. In all the years I've had this car I have never once used it- of course the key hole is covered to begin with, but...
Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
As ILM... said, you should be able to lock or unlock your car using any of the 3 methods without setting off the alarm. The mechanical key portion of your i-Key has an embedded chip which is meant to be scanned by a small antenna near the door lock. The BCM reads that chip and disarms the alarm before you open the door. It sounds like in your case that didn't happen and your BCM took the open door switch signal as unauthorized.

To test further, you could try pulling the battery from the iKey and putting it in the "Intelligent Key Port" (with the mechanical key in it) on the driver's left side below the trunk release button. If you can't start the car like that then you will want to re-register that key's chip with your BCM. If you CAN start your car like that, then you need to diagnose why your door antenna isn't reading the chip correctly.