Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

My G37 is telling me it’s not in park when I shut it off

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Cody Helmbrecht

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My G37 is telling me it’s not in park when I shut it off

Hey, as you could guess by the title my G37 is giving me a “Shift to Park” warning when I turn off my car even though I’m in park. I have a 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Sedan. I’m aware of a water leak located somewhere in the front of my car. I’ve tried sealing it but I have no idea where it’s coming from. Yesterday night it rained unexpectedly and my car got soaked. When I got in this morning nothing was wrong other than the seat wouldn’t automatically adjust and my windows wouldn’t automatically roll down. This has happened before and was gone in a day so I wasn’t worried about it. That was until I went to get out at work. I put my car in park and shut it off like you would normally do but it told me I wasn’t in park. I turned the car back on and tried again but same thing occurred. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, I’ve tried touching the ground and positive together, with no result. I’ve even went through and checked ever fuse for a blown fuse with still no solution. If anyone has any information on what I could do or what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it. I’m assuming it has something to do with the water but I’ve also looked into shifter assemblies. Any advice?
The following users liked this post:
MSalehAli (07-18-2024)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Check bcm
Old 01-13-2020, 10:36 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
There is a small control module/switch unit attached to the shifter that controls the interlock functions:

When you press the button on the shift knØb to change gears, the white plastic SWITCH ACTUATOR slides DOWN. When you release the button the actuator slides UP. When you put the car in PARK, if the actuator does not go all the way up, or if the switch contacts are not working, you will get the SHIFT TO PARK message.

When this happens you should repeatedly work the button on the shift knØb several times fast to see if the actuator/switch is sticking. A small, quick shot of WD40 to free up the works might be all you need. However, being you have a pre-existing water issue around the BCM area, you will also have to check there as well.

This happened to me once after I installed a aftermarket shift knØb too low on the stalk which prevented the actuator from going full travel.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-13-2020 at 10:57 AM.
codeflux (01-31-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:23 PM
jaycartier
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The little metal piece that goes into the shift actuator seems to be misaligned, Do you know how I can fix this problem? It won't fully shift into park and gets stuck on something.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:17 AM
BOLSON0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same Problem

Originally Posted by Cody Helmbrecht
Hey, as you could guess by the title my G37 is giving me a “Shift to Park” warning when I turn off my car even though I’m in park. I have a 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Sedan. I’m aware of a water leak located somewhere in the front of my car. I’ve tried sealing it but I have no idea where it’s coming from. Yesterday night it rained unexpectedly and my car got soaked. When I got in this morning nothing was wrong other than the seat wouldn’t automatically adjust and my windows wouldn’t automatically roll down. This has happened before and was gone in a day so I wasn’t worried about it. That was until I went to get out at work. I put my car in park and shut it off like you would normally do but it told me I wasn’t in park. I turned the car back on and tried again but same thing occurred. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, I’ve tried touching the ground and positive together, with no result. I’ve even went through and checked ever fuse for a blown fuse with still no solution. If anyone has any information on what I could do or what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it. I’m assuming it has something to do with the water but I’ve also looked into shifter assemblies. Any advice?
I also have a 2013 g37 sedan and have the exact same problem, water started leaking out the driver foot well when it rained yesterday and now my car has done the same thing with it in park. I disconnected the battery and haven't re connected yet, did you solve the problem? And did you figure out where it was leaking water from?
Odawg_dm (09-23-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

Brbr1628

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
There is a small control module/switch unit attached to the shifter that controls the interlock functions:

When you press the button on the shift knØb to change gears, the white plastic SWITCH ACTUATOR slides DOWN. When you release the button the actuator slides UP. When you put the car in PARK, if the actuator does not go all the way up, or if the switch contacts are not working, you will get the SHIFT TO PARK message.

When this happens you should repeatedly work the button on the shift knØb several times fast to see if the actuator/switch is sticking. A small, quick shot of WD40 to free up the works might be all you need. However, being you have a pre-existing water issue around the BCM area, you will also have to check there as well.

This happened to me once after I installed a aftermarket shift knØb too low on the stalk which prevented the actuator from going full travel.
Yo can you send me your Instagram or something I need your help please
Old 08-18-2021, 05:17 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Sorry, I have no use for any of that social media nonsense.

What is your issue?
Old 08-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

Sorry, I have no use for any of that social media nonsense.

What is your issue?
😂😂that’s fine, anyways yeah I’m having the same problem but what I have to do after the car shuts off and still has that p shift up **** on the dash, I have to life up that white part manually by putting the gear into N and lift up the white thing. How do I fix it? Wd40 didn’t work and thank you for replying
Old 08-18-2021, 05:26 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

In NEUTRAL, press down on the white cap. Does it move fully and freely? If so, then your issue might be with the interlock module (see pic above). Some folks have removed that module, cleaned the contacts, and have been good to go.

Did you spray WD40 on the actuator (see pic above)?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

In NEUTRAL, press down on the white cap. Does it move fully and freely? If so, then your issue might be with the interlock module (see pic above). Some folks have removed that module, cleaned the contacts, and have been good to go.

I have to remove that big panel that says Drive, reverse, neutral and stuff and after I remove it, I have to put the car in neutral and lift the white thing up in order for the message to go away,

Old 08-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

I have no clue what it is what does it sound like it can be?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:58 AM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

what did you do to fix your issue because I switch my shift thing to
Old 08-24-2021, 11:59 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brbr1628
I have to remove that big panel that says Drive, reverse, neutral and stuff...
There is no reason you have to remove that entire trim panel each and every time. Just remove your shift knøb and pull up on the white pin:

what did you do to fix your issue...
I use a aftermarket shift knøb and adapter that needed to be adjusted. My fix does not apply here.
... what does it sound like it can be?
It can be one of three things the way I see it:
1) Either the white pin (that the knøb sits on) is dirty/ sticking/ needs grease (wouldn't hurt to make sure the internals of your knøb is clean as well) ;
2) the shift interlock actuator is dirty/ sticking/ needs grease; or
3) the switch contacts in the interlock module (yellow circle) need to be cleaned.

In rare cases the connecting rod that goes from the bottom of the shifter to the transmission gets out of adjustment (usually due to a worn rubber bushing). For that you will have to get under the car and make sure everything is tight.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-24-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

There is no reason you have to remove that entire trim panel each and every time. Just remove your shift knøb and pull up on the white pin:

I use a aftermarket shift knøb and adapter that needed to be adjusted. My fix does not apply here.
It can be one of three things the way I see it:
1) Either the white pin (that the knøb sits on) is dirty/ sticking/ needs grease (wouldn't hurt to make sure the internals of your knøb is clean as well) ;
2) the shift interlock actuator is dirty/ sticking/ needs grease; or
3) the switch contacts in the interlock module (yellow circle) need to be cleaned.

In rare cases the connecting rod that goes from the bottom of the shifter to the transmission gets out of adjustment (usually due to a worn rubber bushing). For that you will have to get under the car and make sure everything is tight.
to start off, when the car is in neutral the white pin that the **** sits on moves freely up and down no problem, right now I just turned the car on and turned it off without even touching the shift at all, I just simply turned on the car and turned it off and as soon as I did the the warning came on the dash again without me even moving the shift to drive or nothing, it stayed in park the whole time, do you think this can be a sensor issue ? And thank you a lot for taking time out of your day just to respond to a stranger with a problem, I really appreciate it a lot
Old 08-24-2021, 08:04 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Based on that, the interlock module (yellow circle/ above pic) likely needs to be removed, taken apart and the switch contacts cleaned.

And you are more than welcome for the help- as long as it isn't soap opera time all is good!

Quick Reply: My G37 is telling me it’s not in park when I shut it off