Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

My G37 is telling me it’s not in park when I shut it off

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 08:08 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Based on that, the interlock module (yellow circle/ above pic) likely needs to be removed, taken apart and the switch contacts cleaned.

And you are more than welcome for the help- as long as it isn't soap opera time all is good!
Oh also, the previous owner told me he switched the whole shift shaft I think it was, he told me something like that, do you think he maybe did something wrong while doing that? He stated he took off all the panels, left side, right side panel all the way to the back ans also how would I clean that myself ? Like how would I remove that
Old 08-24-2021, 08:23 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
The shift "shaft" can not be replaced separately as it is incorporated into the entire shifter assembly. If the previous owner replaced the entire shifter assembly, it is possible the control rod that is located under the vehicle needs to be readjusted.

This link / thread details how to remove the interlock module, disassemble the switch, and clean the contacts. The module is attached with either two (2) or three (3) small screws and can be removed without disassembling the entire center console. I would try this first before fiddling with anything under the car.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-24-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:29 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

The shift "shaft" can not be replaced separately as it is incorporated into the entire shifter assembly. If the previous owner replaced the entire shifter assembly, it is possible the control rod that is located under the vehicle needs to be readjusted.

This link / thread details how to remove the interlock module, disassemble the switch, and clean the contacts. The module is attached with either two (2) or three (3) small screws and can be removed without disassembling the entire center console. I would try this first before fiddling with anything under the car.
got you thank you very much, I just talked with the previous owner and he said he switch this part out.
do you think maybe he didn’t put it in right ? Because also when I move the shift from park to drive, I hear liek a little loose thump under the car

Old 08-25-2021, 04:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brbr1628
... also when I move the shift from park to drive, I hear liek a little loose thump under the car.
Based on that alone, more than likely the control rod that links the shifter to the transmission is either out of adjustment or the adjusting nut may be loose. You will have to get under the car and check- you can NOT access this part from inside the center console.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:34 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

Based on that alone, more than likely the control rod that links the shifter to the transmission is either out of adjustment or the adjusting nut may be loose. You will have to get under the car and check- you can NOT access this part from inside the center console.
hey so I finally diagnosed the problem, you know how the white part that the shift **** sits on is supposed to go up when i put it in park? It seems to stay stuck half way down when I put the car in park which that’s the reason why I have to take out the the trim and lift it up myself because the little metal part that goes inside the shift actuator wasn’t inside, it was just out freely. I’m not sure if you understand what I mean but I can provide pictures. Basically the white part that the **** sits on stays stuck down so it doesn’t fully go up in park which when it goes up it’s supposed to take that switch actuator up with it which explains why I have to do it manually
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Which is exactly what I mentioned in post #14 (above), lol.
At this point you will have to investigate why the white pin (that goes into the knøb) isn't moving fully and freely. It could be either the transmission control rod or the internal shifter mechanism itself. I would leave the electronics alone as they appear to be fine- your issue is mechanical in nature.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:26 PM
Brbr1628
Registered Member

Which is exactly what I mentioned in post #14 (above), lol.
At this point you will have to investigate why the white pin (that goes into the knøb) isn't moving fully and freely. It could be either the transmission control rod or the internal shifter mechanism itself. I would leave the electronics alone as they appear to be fine- your issue is mechanical in nature.
I think it would be the shifter mechanism because the previous owner told me he hit the shifter really hard when he got into a argument with his girl friend. What do you think?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:08 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

At this point it will likely be easier to find a cheap, used shifter unit off eBay (or from a local junkyard) and be done with it. However, it's your wallet therefore it's your call.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:58 AM
Aliciae621

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar issue

“Shift to Park” warning when I turn off my car even though I’m in park. I have a 2012 Infiniti G37X Sedan. I’m aware of a very serious water leak located somewhere in the front of my car that seems to be dripping directly over my fuse panel. I have narrowed it down to what I believe is the driver side sunroof drain is clogged up in the headliner area over the window and when it drains it has been traveling down the paneling along the door and dripping out of the bottom over the fuse panel. After stripping the car yesterday and absorbing and vacuuming all of the water out from underneath the driver side carpet and passenger side I investigated the sunroof drains and found the passenger side to be functioning and the driver side to be the one with the leak. I let the car sit open with the wind blowing in the sun to dry it out still haven’t been able to actually locate the exact place that the sunroof draining has failed. I pour water into the sunroof and watched it drip over the fuse panel. last night when I finished up everything and move the car i started receiving the parking error alarm and the car was beeping like when you turn the car off in gear. I just disconnected the positive side of the battery overnight and left it alone. This morning I went out to the car to continue trying to figure out the exact issue and location I turn the car on and the error persisted, I am also having the issue with the windows not rolling up automatically, and the programmed seat adjunto working. I put my car in park and shut it off like you would normally do but it told me I wasn’t in park. I played with the shift button and it stopped for a while and now the alarm is no longer beeping but the shift light is still on with the error on the dash.. it drives and functions otherwise.

Passenger side sunroof drain

Water under the driver side carpet

Water pooling in the lowest part of the car

Puddle behind seats

If anyone has any information on what I could do or what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it. I’m assuming it has something to do with the water and the electrical stuff, I don’t want to fry my electric system. My car only has 93,000 miles on it please help. Any advice

Dripping from there
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1590.MOV (7.97 MB, 64 views)

Last edited by Aliciae621; 09-04-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: New photo
The following users liked this post:
delaflower (07-19-2022)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:42 PM
Odawg_dm

I have the same problem have you fixed ?

Originally Posted by BOLSON0
I also have a 2013 g37 sedan and have the exact same problem, water started leaking out the driver foot well when it rained yesterday and now my car has done the same thing with it in park. I disconnected the battery and haven't re connected yet, did you solve the problem? And did you figure out where it was leaking water from?
I have the exact same problem I was just wondering if you’ve found a fix to it yet and figured out the reason it’s happening I just brought my car in because I didn’t know
Old 07-19-2022, 12:53 AM
delaflower
Registered Member

same issue

I'm having the same issue although I think I solved the drained issue or alleviated it a bit for now. Please tell me you found the issue to this by now. My fuse box got wet and now im having the shift to park issue.
Quick hack: to stop the beeping, open the trunk and hold your keys inside the trunk for a few seconds and the beeping will stop.

Originally Posted by Aliciae621
“Shift to Park” warning when I turn off my car even though I’m in park. I have a 2012 Infiniti G37X Sedan. I’m aware of a very serious water leak located somewhere in the front of my car that seems to be dripping directly over my fuse panel. I have narrowed it down to what I believe is the driver side sunroof drain is clogged up in the headliner area over the window and when it drains it has been traveling down the paneling along the door and dripping out of the bottom over the fuse panel. After stripping the car yesterday and absorbing and vacuuming all of the water out from underneath the driver side carpet and passenger side I investigated the sunroof drains and found the passenger side to be functioning and the driver side to be the one with the leak. I let the car sit open with the wind blowing in the sun to dry it out still haven’t been able to actually locate the exact place that the sunroof draining has failed. I pour water into the sunroof and watched it drip over the fuse panel. last night when I finished up everything and move the car i started receiving the parking error alarm and the car was beeping like when you turn the car off in gear. I just disconnected the positive side of the battery overnight and left it alone. This morning I went out to the car to continue trying to figure out the exact issue and location I turn the car on and the error persisted, I am also having the issue with the windows not rolling up automatically, and the programmed seat adjunto working. I put my car in park and shut it off like you would normally do but it told me I wasn’t in park. I played with the shift button and it stopped for a while and now the alarm is no longer beeping but the shift light is still on with the error on the dash.. it drives and functions otherwise.

Passenger side sunroof drain

Water under the driver side carpet

Water pooling in the lowest part of the car

Puddle behind seats

If anyone has any information on what I could do or what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it. I’m assuming it has something to do with the water and the electrical stuff, I don’t want to fry my electric system. My car only has 93,000 miles on it please help. Any advice

Dripping from there
Old 07-19-2022, 12:56 AM
delaflower
Registered Member

hey please tell me you were able to fix this. The issue seems to be happening because the fuse box got wet or at least that's what I think so far.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:51 PM
MSalehAli
Registered Member

G37

Hey i have the exact problem just happened this morning. Did you fix the issue? What exactly did you do ?
Old 07-18-2024, 04:12 PM
delaflower
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSalehAli
Hey i have the exact problem just happened this morning. Did you fix the issue? What exactly did you do ?
i let the car dry and it started worked properly. The problem was caused sun roof drains being clogged. Cleaned those out and problem solved
Old 07-18-2024, 04:32 PM
MSalehAli
Registered Member

G37

Originally Posted by delaflower
i let the car dry and it started worked properly. The problem was caused sun roof drains being clogged. Cleaned those out and problem solved
i have the same issue when it rains heavy the bottom leaks water. So i have to unclog the sunroof drain?