Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Reverse Camera fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 PM
mmaassar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Reverse Camera fix

Hey guys,
so someone's been messing with my reverse camera and its pushed in right now and it kind of annoys me. do yall know how i can access it? is it through the trunk carpet or do I have to remove the spoiler?

Thanks in advance

my camera is mounted right there
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
You will have to remove the chrome "spoiler" from the deck lid. Once you remove the carpeting from the deck lid, you will see 4 small nuts attaching the chrome piece to the lid.

The camera is attached to the chrome piece with a metal bracket. Either the screws holding the bracket broke (the chrome is thin plastic) or the metal bracket may have been bent. Either could have been cause by some vandals.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 AM
mmaassar

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
You will have to remove the chrome "spoiler" from the deck lid. Once you remove the carpeting from the deck lid, you will see 4 small nuts attaching the chrome piece to the lid.

The camera is attached to the chrome piece with a metal bracket. Either the screws holding the bracket broke (the chrome is thin plastic) or the metal bracket may have been bent. Either could have been cause by some vandals.
thanks for your reply!

im just wondering if i can do it without removing the spoiler piece thats why. and is the spoiler piece attached by double sided tape or something?

thanks again
Old 10-10-2019, 10:43 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

No. The spoiler piece must be removed from the deck lid in order to get to the camera. There are 4 nuts that bolt the chrome trim to the deck lid:

It is relatively easy to do. Just be careful when you put everything back together. The chrome piece is cheap, flimsy plastic and the tabs where the bolts go will snap easily if over tightened (don't ask me how I know...)

I would also consider filing a police report with campus security- if you haven't already. This is vandalism and they need to be aware- especially if the vandals escalate their destructive tendencies. Maybe they can catch the creep who is f'ing with your car.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 10-10-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 AM
mmaassar

No. The spoiler piece must be removed from the deck lid in order to get to the camera. There are 4 nuts that bolt the chrome trim to the deck lid:

It is relatively easy to do. Just be careful when you put everything back together. The chrome piece is cheap, flimsy plastic and the tabs where the bolts go will snap easily if over tightened (don't ask me how I know...)

I would also consider filing a police report with campus security- if you haven't already. This is vandalism and they need to be aware- especially if the vandals escalate their destructive tendencies. Maybe they can catch the creep who is f'ing with your car.
thanks for the pictures as well that'll definitely help out a lot!

I did them and couldn't find him. The place i parked is far from the camera and it wasnt the first time my car was messed with. ive had someone steal the tow hook cover from my front grill and rip off my plate.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mmaassar
The place i parked is far from the camera and it wasnt the first time my car was messed with. ive had someone steal the tow hook cover from my front grill and rip off my plate.
If this is a continuous issue where someone is screwing with your car (and likely others) maybe you should look into a cheap dual view dashcam to record while you are not there. It would appear that the thief is testing the waters... gotta protect yourself as best you can.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...iler-pics.html

scroll down for removal of just the rear camera lid/spoiler. This sedan DIY pretty much applies to coupes as well.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-NC G37S (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM
mmaassar

If this is a continuous issue where someone is screwing with your car (and likely others) maybe you should look into a cheap dual view dashcam to record while you are not there. It would appear that the thief is testing the waters... gotta protect yourself as best you can.
yah ive ordered a dashcam cuz I was honestly fed up with the whole thing. hopefully he/she will be caught now
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM
mmaassar

Originally Posted by Infin88
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...iler-pics.html

scroll down for removal of just the rear camera lid/spoiler. This sedan DIY pretty much applies to coupes as well.
im glad someone found an article too!
thanks so much!