Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Best Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Rob Hamilton
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to switch out my non nav Bose to a nav Bose. Mine is a 2008 G37S coupe

[Any ideas on the model year that is best and what else do I need other than head unit, disply, drive and face??QUOTE=ILM-NC G37S;4257025]I bought everything except for the GVIF display cable from eBay. I had to buy the GVIF display cable new from Infiniti (≈$40).

Being you have a Coupe you can get any system from 2010-2015, obviously the newer the better.

My donor was a 2014 Q60.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
You will need:
- headunit (I used p/n: 25915-3LZ0C);
- display (I used p/n: 28091-1BY3C);
- preset switch assembly (the panel w/clock) MUST BE NAV MODEL!;
- multi-function switch (the dial one);
- GVIF interface cable (you will likely have to order this from Infiniti. Part number 28098-JJ90B);
- GPS antenna;
- rear camera (optional);
- USB jack/port (optional (will need special cable to connect USB to headunit));
- steering wheel control switches (optional);
- steering angle sensor (optional/maybe). I think most sport models have this preinstalled. Mine did. If not, the rear guidance lines just do not move when you turn the wheel.

It will be A LOT easier if your donor AV headunit comes with the pigtails. There are a few connectors that non-NAV cars do not have. However, if you have a local junkyard you can always get some connectors there.

Be sure to get the VIN from the donor car- it helps if you ever intend to update the NAV maps.

The swap seems daunting at first. But once you get into the guts of the project it is not as bad as it seems.

That should get you started for now...!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 10-28-2019 at 09:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Hamilton (10-29-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:22 AM
alberto555552
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grom audio, has hands down the best unit for this car
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by alberto555552
Grom audio, has hands down the best unit for this car
Did Grom overcome the latest Android update that broke the display setting?

I would say any device that relies on constant updates and tech trends is not a good choice for a car. The Grom is cool, but every "update" brings new issues, and the Grom hardware can only last so long until support is dropped. It seems like recently, support was dropped when Android changed the resolution that Grom relied on.

I just recently got news that 3 of our Samsung devices in our home will no longer play Netflix after December 1st, due to "technical limitations". I don't like being forced into buying new gear due to tech updates. At least I don't have to constantly fuss with the OEM stuff in my car.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
...any device that relies on constant updates and tech trends is not a good choice for a car.
This is one of the main reasons I am not interested in that Tesla-style unit that is so popular now. Well, that and my concerns for security. Much easier to swap in a newer OEM system (Q50/Q60) and call it a day.
Originally Posted by takemorepills
I don't have to constantly fuss with the OEM stuff in my car.

Well said.