Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:23 AM
G3727
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Asafzabari
Check the white box(AC unit) that you didn't mixed the cables...
I ended getting it all working, I must’ve had something hooking up wrong when the battery was connected and blew a fuse which made the shifter lock in park, anyway thanks for the help
The following users liked this post:
Asafzabari (04-19-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:38 PM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ac controls wont work after i messed with the settings

J

ust installed my PX6 in my G37 Sedan with Bose but no navi installation went ok with some difficulty’s. I was able to get it installed and had everything working. only issue I had was the background wasn’t my car and the boot screen was yellow Lambo. Now thinking about it wasn’t even a big deal but I had to go and mess with the settings. I was able to change the background and the boot screen but then later I realized the on screen AC controls stopped working. Only settings I changed was in settings> install it> car selection >protocol. I can’t remember what it was originally to change it back. The AC works from the bottom hard buttons but I can’t change the temp or any other settings. Currently I have it set on Infiniti> Infiniti G37 but I can swear it was something random when I first got in to the settings but everything was working. Any help would be great.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:55 PM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

settings

So Today I connected the unit to the harness and it booted up, it looks fine but I have no sound...
i tired to google it up but didn't find any solution, I managed to go to the advanced setup and saw this, now I don't know if it is relevant or not..

On top of that my AFS off light is blinking is it related to the unit or to the fact that I disconnected the battery?
Thanks.
don't mess with those settings i did that on myn and the ac controls stopped working i changed it to g37 from whatever it was before everything was working fine for the no sound either your missing one of the harness or you connected the harness in the wrong place on the unit i made that mistake actually fits in two different places.
also if you still have the default settings for the car section and protocol would you be able reply with screen shot i cant remember what the default settings were i just changed them yesterday before that everything worked fine for like a week since i installed the unit
thanks
Old 04-20-2020, 08:10 PM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

need you help

Originally Posted by mummy2
They lied about the 2k resolution as it's only listed as 1280*760/1280*800. So is it just 2 separate screens and they just added the numbers together?
looks great i installed myn and everything was working but then i messed with the settings >intall it>and changed the car type to change the background, the backround is now a g37 but my AC controls wont work if possible would you be able to screen shot the screen in settings>install it> code 8861 car type and protocol.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
I don't have one. I was just checking the specs to see if it really was 2K and it's not.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 PM
thisoldbum
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daljit Saini
looks great i installed myn and everything was working but then i messed with the settings >intall it>and changed the car type to change the background, the backround is now a g37 but my AC controls wont work if possible would you be able to screen shot the screen in settings>install it> code 8861 car type and protocol.
Try setting it back to QX50LO, that's the default the unit came with. While I haven't tried any of the other ones, if it's not QX50LO, my rear sonar will not work when g37 is selected.
Daljit Saini (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:29 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
don't mess with those settings i did that on myn and the ac controls stopped working i changed it to g37 from whatever it was before everything was working fine for the no sound either your missing one of the harness or you connected the harness in the wrong place on the unit i made that mistake actually fits in two different places.
also if you still have the default settings for the car section and protocol would you be able reply with screen shot i cant remember what the default settings were i just changed them yesterday before that everything worked fine for like a week since i installed the unit
thanks
When you said you connected the harness to the wrong place in the back of the unit, did you mean the main harness?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

When you said you connected the harness to the wrong place in the back of the unit, did you mean the main harness?

I mixed the audio out and can-in2 they both fit but one a cut on the right side and one ahas a cut on the left side of the connector
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thisoldbum
Try setting it back to QX50LO, that's the default the unit came with. While I haven't tried any of the other ones, if it's not QX50LO, my rear sonar will not work when g37 is selected.
i actually ended up contacting the seller. I made my purchase on Ali express from china scary I know but Phoenix audio they were getting frustrating to deal with just trying to make a purchase.
But yeah I don’t know why I didn’t try contacting him In the first place he actually had one of his tech get on video call with me and worked thru all the problems we were having
great damm service even though no English we were able to communicate and get it resolved.

He help me change the boot logo

This what it has to be for car settings for my car

And make sure it’s in tangdu protocol But you can use the boot logos off different settings but confusing but it works

Orane B (03-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mixed the audio out and can-in2 they both fit but one a cut on the right side and one ahas a cut on the left side of the connector
Besides the power plug I only have 1 more which is the can_in
Old 04-22-2020, 04:32 AM
Misa
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey guys, I have had one for a few months. I havent had too many issues, but i have gotten a fairly decent understanding of the software and settings. I may be able to help on some if anyone has questions. Im no expert, but i can offer some tips on the phoenix brand ones!

Ill upload pics in about an hour, but i have mine pretty custom. Ive changed the colors and images in much of the programming, have 8 usb ports, dedicated wifi, and a few other features.

PS: im working on measuring all the oem bose speakers, size, ohms, and a way to nuetralize the bose eq on the amp from this particular HU as well. I am also looking at a way to modify the hardware DSP on these units as well (though, ive not had as much luck on this one).

Here's a teaser pic!

Orane B (03-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:19 AM
Misa
Registered Member

Here are some pics to show some of the theming and such. Apparently the site doesn't support mp4 video, so i will upload to YT or something.

Backup camera, on trunk lid spoiler.

1080p front dash cam, plugged to USB 6

Cold boot screen (yall usually have a picture of a car here, most coke witha. Mustang, some with g37)

Android boot animation screen. (this normally says ANDROID on y'alls units)

My home screen. (y'all normally have the music player and system monitor with a picture of a car )

​​​​​

Usb 1 and AUX 1

Usb 3-5, RCA input (works), and 12v socket.

Not shown: USB 6 (Dash Cam), USB 7, (OBDLink SX) and USB 8 (SAMSUNG 256 GB flash drive for extra storage)

Last edited by Misa; 04-22-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Orane B (03-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:52 AM
Misa
Registered Member

Information for PX6 Phoenix Units with Android 9

Firstly: I am not affiliated with Phoenix, nor any other vendor or supplier. This information is just things ive learned.

Secondly: I am not responsible for anything done to your device, and some information may void warranty.

Okay! Lets begin!

Basic: This radio is two separate devices. One is android, the other is an MCU or microcontroller. They talk to eachother, and many features are separated.

So, elaborating:

​​​​Bluetooth, is MCU feature, NOT android. So, sadly, ONLY PHONES WILL CONNECT. Dont bother with audio devices or Bluetooth devices. There is simply no way for android to see them. Anything you see in the stock Bluetooth app, is simply the app is talking to the MCU to get the data. This provides excellent clarity to the DSP, but minimal android integration.

Radio, is like Bluetooth, also an MCU feature. The app works the same.

​​​​​DSP is the same, sadly.

Now, moving forward a bit. Upgrading from android 8 to android 9 is possible, but not easy. I will bot provide that information.
​​​
​​​​​Th Android part, is clean android system, with minimal editing. Rather, the "system" apps installed, are located outside of the base android system, in a different directory. So, if you ever initiate a factory reset, you are essentially screwed. It will delete apps that are a pain to get back. (learned the hard way).

There are a lot of obsolete apps on the system, that are for others variants, other systems, and other versions of android. I am still sorting this out.

There is a built-in task killer that force kills all apps when the ignition is turned off. This cannot be disabled without some android programming work, decompiling and rebuilding some of the apps they loaded onto the system. I have done this to my unit. Many of you may have noticed data gets lost or isn't saved when the ignition is off. This is why.

​​​Another thing, is the "system info" menu, obviously you cant get into it. There is a fix for it, but, honestly, not worth it. There is no longer any useful settings in it. It may help some with Bluetooth issues, but thats it. In Android 9, they revamped it completely.

The canbus cannot be talked to from the android side, only the MCU. There is a canbus app built in, that frequently pings the MCU for data, and sends data to it. So the HVAC system will have a minor lag, as will steering wheel controls.

Speaking of steering wheel controls you need to be set on Low-Z.

You can swipe the top bar, and rearrange the apps as you please. Here is a breakdown of the apps:

​​​​​​NAVIGATION: this is whatever navigation program you have set in settings.
RADIO: the app that gets the radio tuner on the MCU active and playing.
MUSIC: whatever music app you have set in settings.
APPS: well.. Duh.
VIDEO: whatever video app you have set in settings.
BLUETOOTH: the app that talks to the Bluetooth chip on the MCU.
USER APP**: the app you set in settings. I have mine set as torque pro.
CAR AUTO: this is the ZLINK app. Its their version of android auto, specifically made to work better with our head units.
EXPLORER: internet browser.
DSP: this is your MCU eq and timing settings. This is a decent dsp actually. There ia complex data on this, ill get into it later.
CONSOLE: this is your car settings, for headlight off delay, unlock settings, interior lights. this is more limited than the oem features, but hey it sorta works.
PHONELINK: a sort of screen sharing thing. Honestly? It isn't great.
FILE MANAGER: their neutered file manager.
SETTINGS: Totes obvious. Ill go into more detail later.

----------

Okay, so the DSP. See, some of the manufacturers didn't put a dedicated DSP chip on our radios, and some did. Its not easy to figure out unless you crack open the hardware.

Assuming you do have a hardware DSP, GREAT!!! you are lucky. The app sends its set data to the dsp and the dsp holds it. It works great. The 16 band EQ works well, im working on using it to partially negate the bose amp active eq. The sound field option is just speaker timing, the filters work acceptably. But the STRONG BASS menu doesn't work on our cars. This is because we dont have a subwoofer output on our units. (well we do, but not how you expect)

The OEM system, only has 4 audio channels, and the bose amp automatically filters and sends signals to the 10/11 speakers, including the woofer. The aftermarket units only work those same 4 channels. If you notice, the plug on the back has 2 unused pins. Welp, guess what those are? Subwoofer output. STRONG BASS is the subwoofer menu. I am going to test thia out at my earliest convenience.

Okay, so i have been typing this all on my phone, and im not up for spell checking or punctuation right now. I am going to end this post here, and resume another post with the settings app later on. Feel free to ask questions!
​​​​​​

​​​
​​​

According to my RTA, this EQ provides a completely flat audio output from the bose amp. It sounds horribly wierd, but it is a starting point for anyone who wants to mess with it.

This is my preferred EQ setting. I think it sounds better and more full.

Last edited by Misa; 04-22-2020 at 06:16 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Misa:
BGDre12 (09-18-2021), ILM-NC G37S (04-22-2020), jpowersjr2 (04-22-2020), Orane B (03-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Daljit Saini
Registered Member

Besides the power plug I only have 1 more which is the can_in
So you are missing the harness for the Bose speakers. Audio won’t work with out it.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Awesome post Misa!!

Any help with connecting an aftermarket subwoofer to the stock Bose system would be greatly appreciated. I have an '08 coupe with Bose and Nav and the PX6 12.1 screen. I have everything wired and ran except for tapping into the screen.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread