Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by InitialC
This sucks.... I have an '08 and have no intention of getting rid of it. She's got her TT kit installed and now I'm ready to start all over again: paint, wheels, suspension, brakes, interior, etc. The first thing that's really on my mind is the headunit. I don't even have bluetooth. I was really hoping this radio panned out....sucks to hear that the product and the support aren't consistent.

I guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Thanks to everyone who's pioneered these and shared your experiences with the community!
Check this out: https://workshoptwelve.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by jpowersjr2:
deep0542 (04-02-2020), InitialC (03-29-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:30 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Always disconnect the battery when dealing with the screen. I always did and I never ran into issues; no dash lights, HVAC worked, car started, and unit booted up fine the first time.

I've had my unit installed for over 6 months now with no major issues. It sucks to see the hit and miss cases here and the company's lack of support. I have the 12.1" PX6 model from Phoenix. I had custom titanium ***** made for it as well if anyone is interested; IG is jpowers36. I still enjoy the unit and it makes my drive more enjoyable. Only thing I have been lazy about is fixing the OEM back up camera but I've been thinking about installing a newer one with better quality (and possibly front cam).

Food for thought: If Sony or Alpine made something like this, it would cost well over $2k-$3k. You get what you pay for. Here is the closest thing that Alpine makes (for GM) as far as OEM fit with big touch screen, CarPlay, Android Auto, etc.: https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/i209-gm . These units won't be fully "opened" up like the Tesla Screen OS is. I work in IT so I've enjoyed tinkering with the screen.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
That is a simple tablet (GALAXY TAB A) so it is not as sophisticated or integrated as Tesla style units.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience so far:

It has been 1 whole week since reaching out to Rhino Radios. Multiple emails, a voice mail, facebook messaging... No response whatsoever. I have emailed them officially requesting a refund. If they refuse, I'll be using PayPal's buyer protection to initiate a claim.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:54 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueJD
...It has been 1 whole week since reaching out to Rhino Radios. Multiple emails, a voice mail, facebook messaging... No response whatsoever. I have emailed them officially requesting a refund. If they refuse, I'll be using PayPal's buyer protection to initiate a claim.
Personally, I would not wait too long before initiating the claim process with PayPal and/or with your credit card issuer. With all the "fear mongering" due to this virus nonsense, businesses are going to use that as a excuse for already lackluster customer service.

The following users liked this post:
RogueJD (03-18-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Personally, I would not wait too long before initiating the claim process with PayPal and/or with your credit card issuer. With all the "fear mongering" due to this virus nonsense, businesses are going to use that as a excuse for already lackluster customer service.
This was ultimately good advice. Using PayPal buyer protection later would have potentially caused me to not be eligible. Long story short, manufacturing and shipping was purportedly delayed due to the COVID-19 concerns, so that was eating up eligibility time for a PayPal claim.

Claim submitted. I have until 07 APR to escalate it. PayPal has sent them communications.

I know it may sound insensitive, but if they're still selling stuff in a time like this (site is up and running), they should have some sort of support. Nine days, multiple communications, ZERO response.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:01 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Sensitivity and "political correctness" be damned. You're talking a lot of money and you have to be proactive with these situations. I admit I am a VERY impatient person but when it comes to money I am anything but nice. I'll reserve my opinions on this COVID-19 nonsense.

Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-20-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 PM
Chad Parks

Angry Need Aftermarket Bose Harness

I just recently got my 2013 G37 sedan Tesla stye screen and discovered that they forgot to put in my Bose harness for my Bose system. I have have journey edition with no navigation and Bose sound system in my car. I see that their are others just like me that have issue with these Chinese made stereos. I want to know is it possible for a harness to be made by CarToys or any car stereo place or do I have to order this stuff from phoenix radios from China, they won't even answer me at all. Need Suggestions.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chad Parks
I just recently got my 2013 G37 sedan Tesla stye screen and discovered that they forgot to put in my Bose harness for my Bose system. I have have journey edition with no navigation and Bose sound system in my car. I see that their are others just like me that have issue with these Chinese made stereos. I want to know is it possible for a harness to be made by CarToys or any car stereo place or do I have to order this stuff from phoenix radios from China, they won't even answer me at all. Need Suggestions.
Can it be made? The problem is that it likely requires some knowledge about the proprietary setup, and a dedicated person who's willing to put the time in. In short, no.

Your best bet is to go through a reseller. Did you go through Phoenix? If so, I can attest that they have much better customer service than Rhino (At day 12 with ZERO response). That being said, their customer service still isn't great, and the opportunity to simply call them will likely not be an option for a month or three.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:33 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chad Parks
I have the boss harness which I don't need. I'm waiting for the new one, if it will go okay I will send you it.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:43 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Asafzabari
That is a simple tablet (GALAXY TAB A) so it is not as sophisticated or integrated as Tesla style units.
Never said it was.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Vivi

No Sound

Got my unit from Phoenix Automotive and everything looks perfect except I'm not getting Sound from my factory Bose Amps. I guess the verts aren't compatible with the Screens. Gonna try to splice or find an aux conversion harnesses but if I'm not getting any luck gonna return the unit

Old 03-27-2020, 02:50 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

show a pic of the main harness
Old 04-02-2020, 02:14 AM
darrenk

I tried doing that. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Nothing would turn the lights off; even unplugging the main connector from the unit. Mind going into a little more detail? BTW - thanks for all the help!
I read your past few posts and I have exactly the same problem. I've been looking for answers and yours is the only one of two people I can find that has the same setup, device and problem as mine. The other is a guy on the Facebook group but doesn't seem to reply much nor was there an solution.

My setup: '13 sedan with nav, bose and backup cam with the 13.6 px6 8.1 from Rhino.
Problem: car and device do not shut off when car is turned off, backup camera does not work. Haven't gone too far into testing but the other things look to be working.

Have you solved your problem yet? As for the car not turning off, I found this (https://phoenixautomotivellc.freshde...EuOGmc_HQZvoIs) but much like you, I don't want to cut anything just in case I were to send this back. I'll probably try pulling some wires and see. Do the wires go back in alright after you pull them out? Wrong harness? Are there still multiple harnesses?

I'll be calling Rhino tomorrow, we'll see where that goes. But in any case, I wanted to see how you ended up.

Also, does anyone know which cable from the CAR SIDE is the backup camera? I'm thinking its the male that could go into one of two female (in the harness I got), with the yellow tape over it.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:09 PM
thisoldbum
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to @Redgoyabean @Asafzabari and @ILM-NC G37S , I think I have narrowed the problem down.

Unplugging the pin connector from the harness did indeed turn the lights off on the dash, but not the head unit. Due to the power drain from having an aftermarket amp, just having a lit head unit was enough to kill my battery, as the remote wire seems to get its hot status from the head unit being powered on.

The pin connector in question is also wired to the CAN bus. Since the CAN bus seems to be the interface between vehicle systems and the head unit, I think therein lies my problem. That and/or I need to flash the unit with updates.

Either way, I'm fully back to stock just so I can have my car working again. It's been several days since I both emailed and FB messaged Rhino Radios. I hope to hear back soon.
Did you ever get yours fixed? or did you end up returning it? Same situation here and exact same setup.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread