Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueJD
The connector in the first pic is basically a data connection - USB style. It will remain unconnected.
The second pic with the two wires goes to a small black box that was shipped with the kit. I'm not exactly certain, but it's basically a little computer box that "translates" certain data the vehicle outputs into data that the head unit can understand. - I may be way wrong about what it does (I had to purchase a similar unit for a different install; that was the explanation I was given), but I'm sure that's what the cable plugs into.
Pic 3 - yes, that is the AC connector. It is the only larger female connected on the new wiring harness.
Pic 4 - No, that's not the Bose connector. That's an AUX connector for video (I think). The Bose connector is the yellow-y or green female connector (sorry, I'm colorblind) directly below what you're holding.
USB Connector - Yea, I didn't get the adapter either. Basically, that cable is supposed to have an adapter that plugs into one the normal USB sides. It would allow you to use the USB port in the center armrest console. The other USB connector often gets routed to the glove box, or wherever you like.

EDIT: Also - DANGER - be very careful. I see in the pic of your wiring harness that you have your AC controls plugged into the harness. IMPORTANT: You will notice that on your factory head unit there is a little white box. Those cables that you currently have plugged into your harness need to go to that white box. Take the white box out of the mount (keep the mounts, you'll need those, too) and plug them in to the cables that seem to be coming from higher up in the console. You'll note that the stock harnesses have colored tape on the ends. Yellow-y (orange? Again, colorblind) goes to the white box. Light green-y goes to the harness. When in doubt, look at the wires in the factory harness and match them up to the wires in the new harness.
I had 2 Audio connectors both the very same color I mentioned from the guys pic, 1 simply had RCA connectors for an after market AMP n the other simply connected to the stock bose plug. Both where the very same color I mentioned. I had both the 12in n 13.6in units.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll tinker around with fitment first, then try process of elimination for the plug. I haven't had poor experiences with Rhino Radios yet, but they are indeed slow to respond. I can't beat the deal, though. I didn't see the 13.6 unit for sale at Phoenix, but Rhino had them for less than 600 with their 10% promo, so I couldn't beat it.
So I have checked the green small connector and it does connect to the CANBUS unit but it says it is for the EX25/EX35 so I guess I don't need it for the G37?

Regarding the Bose connector it is that yelloish connector but it also connect to the male connector -

only 1 cable from the Bose harness goes to the main harness the rest is vice versa between them( I don't have Bose package nor NAV).

*Regarding your DANGER notice i didn't get it, I connected the original connectors back to the OEM AC UNIT( The white box)

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by Asafzabari; 03-12-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Bose
Old 03-12-2020, 01:38 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asafzabari
So I have checked the green small connector and it does connect to the CANBUS unit but it says it is for the EX25/EX35 so I guess I don't need it for the G37?

Regarding the Bose connector it is that yelloish connector but it also connect to the male connector -

only 1 cable from the Bose harness goes to the main harness the rest is vice versa between them( I don't have Bose package nor NAV).

*Regarding your DANGER notice i didn't get it, I connected the original connectors back to the OEM AC UNIT( The white box)

Thanks for your help guys.
Ah! Sorry about that then. I didn't notice the white box in the other photo. I just almost made that mistake on my first attempt. The plugs can be mixed up.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

So if I don't have the Bose system I should leave that plug unplugged or did I get the wrong harness?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

So if I don't have the Bose system I should leave that plug unplugged or did I get the wrong harness?
not sure as I only had the bose version but I'm pretty sure there has to be some type if connector that's connects the sound system
Old 03-12-2020, 02:46 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Well I guess I will find out when I will connect it lol...
Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Hey all. So, here's my journey.

TL;DR: Day one of install was a bust. Many issues.
Ok, so day 2....

TL; DR: I give up. Need replacement or to have the unit flashed.

Same issues as my previous post. Everything would work except the backup cam. On the new harness, there is a male RCA jack and a male pin connector. I simply can't figure out where the pin connector goes (Similar look to the one a few posts above). I'm convinced it is some sort of aux in that is unused in my configuration. Everything else buttoned up fine. I'm very certain that each connector is where it should be. Nothing appears to be broken, stretched, etc.

Did a test fitment, and all seemed ok, though I didn't screw anything down. It's a tight fit, but in the end I think it will be fine.

Car will turn on, everything seems to work except the backup cam. Car engine will turn off, but dash and new head unit won't. Only way to power down is to pull the battery cable. I attempted the suggestions above by removing various connections, and the only thing I managed to do was turn off the head unit until I plugged everything back in.

So, here's an overall list of my concerns:
• Not sure what the male pin connector is that feeds to the "Camera" male RCA output.
• Backup Cam inoperable
• No idea if parking sensors work. Probably should have checked. They did ask me if I had them when I purchased the unit, though.
• Harness was not shipped with the pin-adapters to connect the factory USB port. I did get the dual-USB connectors for the head unit, though - just not the adapter.
• "System Info" on the "Settings" (not the "More Settings" - which appears to be Android settings) causes a crash and a restart of the settings app.
• I have factory Nav. Why did I get another antenna?! I don't want to hang it in my window when I have one on my car already. Shouldn't I have just got an adapter to connect the factory antenna?
• Oh, the damn thing wont let my car turn off...

I have a ticket in to Rhino Radios Support. Hopefully will hear back soon.

Last edited by RogueJD; 03-12-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:25 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Ok, so day 2....

TL; DR: I give up. Need replacement or to have the unit flashed.

Same issues as my previous post. Everything would work except the backup cam. On the new harness, there is a male RCA jack and a male pin connector. I simply can't figure out where the pin connector goes (Similar look to the one a few posts above). I'm convinced it is some sort of aux in that is unused in my configuration. Everything else buttoned up fine. I'm very certain that each connector is where it should be. Nothing appears to be broken, stretched, etc.

Did a test fitment, and all seemed ok, though I didn't screw anything down. It's a tight fit, but in the end I think it will be fine.

Car will turn on, everything seems to work except the backup cam. Car engine will turn off, but dash and new head unit won't. Only way to power down is to pull the battery cable. I attempted the suggestions above by removing various connections, and the only thing I managed to do was turn off the head unit until I plugged everything back in.

So, here's an overall list of my concerns:
• Not sure what the male pin connector is that feeds to the "Camera" male RCA output.
• Backup Cam inoperable
• No idea if parking sensors work. Probably should have checked. They did ask me if I had them when I purchased the unit, though.
• Harness was not shipped with the pin-adapters to connect the factory USB port. I did get the dual-USB connectors for the head unit, though - just not the adapter.
• "System Info" on the "Settings" (not the "More Settings" - which appears to be Android settings) causes a crash and a restart of the settings app.
• I have factory Nav. Why did I get another antenna?! I don't want to hang it in my window when I have one on my car already. Shouldn't I have just got an adapter to connect the factory antenna?
• Oh, the damn thing wont let my car turn off...

I have a ticket in to Rhino Radios Support. Hopefully will hear back soon.
what's happens when you go in reverse? When I had my unit, i was having a back up camera issue where when in reverse I simply had a black screen, so the unit recognize I was in reverse just didnt have a video feed. Turns out Phoenix automotive put in a " step down converter " for the voltage. After sending pics n troubleshooting the tech releaized the issue n had me remove the converter, camera came right on 9nce I went I to reverse. Let me know if you have the same issue. If so I have a thread that shows a pic of the converter, KINDA.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

So Today I connected the unit to the harness and it booted up, it looks fine but I have no sound...
i tired to google it up but didn't find any solution, I managed to go to the advanced setup and saw this, now I don't know if it is relevant or not..

On top of that my AFS off light is blinking is it related to the unit or to the fact that I disconnected the battery?
Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Daljit Saini (04-20-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 06:18 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

So Today I connected the unit to the harness and it booted up, it looks fine but I have no sound...
i tired to google it up but didn't find any solution, I managed to go to the advanced setup and saw this, now I don't know if it is relevant or not..

On top of that my AFS off light is blinking is it related to the unit or to the fact that I disconnected the battery?
Thanks.
Did you connect your audio harness, you said that u didnt have bose so I'm not sure what connector to you should be using for that but there has to be a way to get the audio from your unit to your speakers n I'm not sure about the AFS.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

only the black connector is connected to the unit, I have no other connectors (besides ANT, GPS & WI-FI)
Old 03-13-2020, 09:42 AM
RogueJD
Registered Member

only the black connector is connected to the unit, I have no other connectors (besides ANT, GPS & WI-FI)
The light yellow-ish connector is the audio input. Goes into the bottom-left port (when viewed from the rear).

That is how it's supposed to be for a Bose setup... I'm not sure if that needs to be plugged in for a non-Bose. I don't think it would hurt to test, but I'm no expert.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

I did try with it connected, nothing... still waiting for Phoenix support (3 days almost)...
Old 03-13-2020, 09:47 AM
RogueJD
Registered Member

I did try with it connected, nothing... still waiting for Phoenix support (3 days almost)...
The connection for audio antenna is the weird looking green connector on the harness. I imagine that you double checked that, correct?

I feel for you on the support. I've been waiting for rhino for two days now.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 AM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Thanks.
Can you tell me how you got to that menu?

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread