Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Just to clarify, Bluetooth: better to have 2 separate devices?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just to clarify, Bluetooth: better to have 2 separate devices?

I played with things for quite a while and could not get my iphone 8 to work as both a phone and a audio streaming device.

So it appears that most of you are using an older ipod for usb audio streaming and just using your phone as a phone only? Is this the standard for our systems?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Depending on the year, yes. Yours should have Bluetooth for both phone and music though. Mine's a 2008 so I bought a separate Bluetooth receiver to stream music and hide it in the center console plugged into the RCA's with my charger and never even see it. It pairs/connects like it would from factory.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
if you don't have the navigation package, you don't have bluetooth audio.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
JessicaIndy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael_in_DE
I played with things for quite a while and could not get my iphone 8 to work as both a phone and a audio streaming device.

So it appears that most of you are using an older ipod for usb audio streaming and just using your phone as a phone only? Is this the standard for our systems?
There is an on going issue w/ Bluetooth and IOS 11.xx. I had an iPhone 6+ w/ IOS 10.33 (last of the 10 updates) but a new iPhone X and have had issues w/ it since. Many threads on web about this w/ differet makes/models of cars. No fix yet that I know of.

I can pair mine as if new, and it works fine. If I shut car off and go back to listening via BT, it works for maybe 2-3 minutes then skips real bad. If I delete the BT profile from both phone and radio it works fine until I shut car off again. Going to disconnect the neg battery terminal this weekend and see if this fixes it like it did last time I had this issue. BTW mine is 2010 G37X w/nav
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
sn26

Its an issue with mine and its a 2012. I never had this issue with my Galaxy Note 5, only when I switched to an iPhone. The car and phone dont play well with each other. My solution is to just plug the phone in to the usb port. It works fine and charges at the same time. All my calls work just fine over the bluetooth.

FYI iv tried all the "fixes" nothing seems to work.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM
JessicaIndy

SO I decided to not wait and see if disconnecting battery thereby resetting everything in car would work. I left in disconnected for over an hour and ran errands in other car.

Upon returning I reattached battery and then erased car from my iPhone BEFORE starting car.
Strangely I had to erase the phone from the stereo as well. Did that and reconnected and let it play while I drove around 15-20 mins. No issues of skipping.
Shut off car and came back restarted car, drove and streamed a podcast, as I did before to eliminate cell dropping issues and was fine for approx. 5-10 mins and it happened again!

My last idea I will try as I remember this helped on my old iPhone (6 plus) is to remove ALL bluetooth profiles and only add the car. If this resolves issue as I believe it did approx 8-9 months ago when I posted this, then strangely it may be that the iPhone and the G37 need to be "at the top" of the list of bluetooth devices and not anywhere else. If that works, I will add speakers, headphones and the like and see if this is still working.
Ill keep everyone posted as I have time to chase this demon!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I have my phone paired and it works as an audio device and will make and receive phone calls. The issue I have is the bluetooth audio will sometimes stutter while playing music which is insanely annoying. I disconnected my battery for a while yesterday but didn't pay any mind to the music today, but I'll pay attention tomorrow to see if it plays any better.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
if you do go the separate phone/ipod route, get an ipod that is less than IOS 10.

i had an old iPhone that i left in the center console (for music only) connected to USB - when i updated to IOS10, it started to be undetected every 3rd or 4th time i started the car. would need to be unplugged, replugged back in, then repeat. annoying, especially since i had to dig it out of the center console.

switched it with an iPod touch 4th gen at IOS6, and no issues.

Wirelinq cable on the way, soon i will be done with this Apple B.S. and have MUCH better audio with an old Android phone ....
Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
iPhone probs, get a Galaxy
Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM
JessicaIndy

Bluetooth dealer update

So since I have posted this I went and bought an iPod Touch that has IOS 10 as its o/s. Works fine but I hate having to carry 2 diff devices around to listen to music never mind the fact that if I want web radio I have to turn on hotspot on iPhone X and connect it w/ iPod.

Decided to visit Dryer and Rinbold Infiniti here in Indyand spoke to service manager about this.

He proceeded to tell me they are having issues w/ BT going back to iPhone 7, according to him. I informed him that after painful research and the like, its not the hardware so much as its the software, IOS 11.xx.

Asked about a software update and he stated they are still waiting on Infiniti and may be a couple of months until they get it.

Just another heads up for all.

Originally Posted by JessicaIndy
SO I decided to not wait and see if disconnecting battery thereby resetting everything in car would work. I left in disconnected for over an hour and ran errands in other car.

Upon returning I reattached battery and then erased car from my iPhone BEFORE starting car.
Strangely I had to erase the phone from the stereo as well. Did that and reconnected and let it play while I drove around 15-20 mins. No issues of skipping.
Shut off car and came back restarted car, drove and streamed a podcast, as I did before to eliminate cell dropping issues and was fine for approx. 5-10 mins and it happened again!

My last idea I will try as I remember this helped on my old iPhone (6 plus) is to remove ALL bluetooth profiles and only add the car. If this resolves issue as I believe it did approx 8-9 months ago when I posted this, then strangely it may be that the iPhone and the G37 need to be "at the top" of the list of bluetooth devices and not anywhere else. If that works, I will add speakers, headphones and the like and see if this is still working.
Ill keep everyone posted as I have time to chase this demon!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 PM
DbestiZG

good info here. I Recently upgraded to the blovee unit from using an old dedicated ipod and that seems to work well so far.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i dumped the direct-connected iPod for my old Android phone over Bluetooth because the iPod sounds like *** and there's no way to adjust the EQ on it. the "EQ presets" suck.

i use my current phone over Bluetooth for calls, and old rooted phone with Viper4Android audio processing (sounds fantastic) over Bluetooth for music.