Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2011 g37s coupe - AUX?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 02:11 AM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 g37s coupe - AUX?!

Hi,
I just bought a 2011 g37s coupe today and was surprised to learn that it doesn't have an AUX Audio Input.....is that correct? If it exists, where is it?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:17 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hashtagdopey
Hi,
I just bought a 2011 g37s coupe today and was surprised to learn that it doesn't have an AUX Audio Input.....is that correct? If it exists, where is it?

Thanks a lot!
No, there is no AUX. I was shocked about it too when I got my 11 g37s coupe. Just usb in an awkward spot in the center console and bluetooth that cuts off sometimes.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 AM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Yellafella
No, there is no AUX. I was shocked about it too when I got my 11 g37s coupe. Just usb in an awkward spot in the center console and bluetooth that cuts off sometimes.
Haha yes, definitely awkward. Thanks for the heads up regarding the bluetooth cutting off at times... I'll have to read up on that.

I wonder if something like this would work though: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/startec.../6000066423028

Has anyone tried this or have any other solutions?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Has anyone tried this or have any other solutions?

- old iPod/iPhone to leave in armrest for music (IOS 6 or older - after upgrading to IOS10+, mine seems to need to be unplugged/replugged every once in a while when the car doesn't "see" it)

- GROM Audio Wirelinq cable for an Android phone

- USB Flash drive
Old 10-26-2017, 07:46 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
My USB has worked flawlessly.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:00 AM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
- old iPod/iPhone to leave in armrest for music (IOS 6 or older - after upgrading to IOS10+, mine seems to need to be unplugged/replugged every once in a while when the car doesn't "see" it)

- GROM Audio Wirelinq cable for an Android phone

- USB Flash drive
Thanks a lot. I'll check out that GROM cable...my Android is USB Type-C, and see that cable listed for $50 lol.. Damn. Going to look around...

USB drive works great, agreed. Tried that today.
The drawback though is that you can't 'stream' the music and it has to be downloaded MP3's - which I have a tonne of from back in the day.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Does your car have the RCA plugs in the center console? If so, get a bluetooth receiver on Amazon for like $20 and be done. I love mine, plugged it in and hid it under the little tray when I bought the car 2 years ago and haven't touched it since. Been the best upgrade I've done yet lol.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Does your car have the RCA plugs in the center console? If so, get a bluetooth receiver on Amazon for like $20 and be done. I love mine, plugged it in and hid it under the little tray when I bought the car 2 years ago and haven't touched it since. Been the best upgrade I've done yet lol.
Nope, no RCA plugs in the centre console. Just a USB port and a cigarette lighter outlet.

After doing research on the GROM cable, I caved and ended up ordering it. I'm in Canada...so with shipping/handling + import taxes it came to $80 USD. Better frickin' work and be long enough to reach my phone on the left side of the steering wheel! lol. It's 4ft in length so fingers crossed that it will.

Speaking of best upgrades.....I also ordered a Diode Dynamic Tail as Turn cable to rid of the incandescent bulb as the turn signal...instead using all the LED's as the signal light. That was cheap, and sure will make it look a lot better. The taillights are one of my favourite aspects of this car. Can't wait!
Old 10-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Nope, no RCA plugs in the centre console. Just a USB port and a cigarette lighter outlet.

After doing research on the GROM cable, I caved and ended up ordering it. I'm in Canada...so with shipping/handling + import taxes it came to $80 USD. Better frickin' work and be long enough to reach my phone on the left side of the steering wheel! lol. It's 4ft in length so fingers crossed that it will.

Speaking of best upgrades.....I also ordered a Diode Dynamic Tail as Turn cable to rid of the incandescent bulb as the turn signal...instead using all the LED's as the signal light. That was cheap, and sure will make it look a lot better. The taillights are one of my favourite aspects of this car. Can't wait!
I did that mod too, they look awesome!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one with Bluetooth audio issues. Debating if it's worth it to grab a Grom cable and an old phone to load up with music.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
I'm glad I'm not the only one with Bluetooth audio issues. Debating if it's worth it to grab a Grom cable and an old phone to load up with music.
I should get mine later this week...will test it out and report back
The following users liked this post:
AdamBritt (10-31-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Did you get your cable yet dopey? I'm bidding on a phone on eBay to set up for this later and it's at a good price right now so if the cable works really well I'll try to win it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:19 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
Did you get your cable yet dopey? I'm bidding on a phone on eBay to set up for this later and it's at a good price right now so if the cable works really well I'll try to win it.
I got it at the end of last week and it hasn't been working at all for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (even tried turning on 'USB Debugging') but no luck thus far.
I'm going to contact GROM for some help/support to try and figure it out.

Basically what happens is when I plug in the cable, the screen in the car identifies that there is a cable plugged in cause it says something like, "Plug in your Android Device.....Grom Audio" and then you see a second timer in the right hand corner.
As soon as I plug in my phone, it says "No Usb connected". I have to turn off the car entirely to get back to the 'plug in your Android device' screen.

I wouldn't recommend buying this (yet). Let me try and troubleshoot this issue with GROM...keep you posted. If I can't resolve it, I'm returning it for a refund.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. When I was thinking about this the other night I was looking at $150 or so for the phone I wanted to dedicate for this and $50 for the cable, that's about half as much as their Vline unit is. I could go cheaper on the phone part and I might even just use a spare one I've got if I go with it.

Did you download their app to use with it? Or however to update the firmware for the cable? I was reading some more about it and a few people said after updating the firmware recently it worked perfectly for them. Hopefully they get back to you soon.