Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Support hell with GROM box in 2013 no nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 PM
flooners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Support hell with GROM box in 2013 no nav

I've been with GROM support for a month and a week now because of an issue with steering controls on the box. The bluetooth works great, but I'm frustrated with how long support is turning the issue around with non-working steering controls.

After a list of instructions that yielding nothing, they offered to exchange my unit for another one. I sent it two day priority because I wanted to get the new one as fast as possible. Instead of sending back quickly, they forgot about it until I emailed again a week later. They even sent back the same unit with a grounding cable and I got the exact same results.

Anyone have experience with a similar issue with a GROM box? How do the pre-2013 no-nav model owners solve their Bluetooth streaming issues?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Germanshield

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By steering controls I assume you mean controlling volume and track lists with the steering wheel buttons.

I had issues getting my bluetooth to work period, as you can see in the few posts I've made. Didn't have any issues as far as controls. Only thing I can suggest is to ask them for the latest firmware files and flash the box through the supplies USB adapter. Just have to dump them on a formatted flashdrive, turn the car on for 30 seconds, turn it off for 10-20 and then turn it back on.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM
flooners

Originally Posted by Germanshield
Only thing I can suggest is to ask them for the latest firmware files and flash the box through the supplies USB adapter. Just have to dump them on a formatted flashdrive, turn the car on for 30 seconds, turn it off for 10-20 and then turn it back on.
Already tried it. The unit refused to accept the firmware files or restart at all.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Germanshield

Originally Posted by flooners
Already tried it. The unit refused to accept the firmware files or restart at all.
Not sure how you can tell if the unit reset or accepted a firmware flash...but that sounds like they need to send a brand new unit. Mark down the serial before you send it. And how are you contacting them? I called in and they were on the phone in seconds, each time. No idea about their other forms of contact.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 PM
flooners

Originally Posted by Germanshield
Not sure how you can tell if the unit reset or accepted a firmware flash...but that sounds like they need to send a brand new unit. Mark down the serial before you send it. And how are you contacting them? I called in and they were on the phone in seconds, each time. No idea about their other forms of contact.
There's an LED unit that's supposed to blink when it flashes a new firmware that didn't change for me. I have been contacting them with email, so maybe it's time to switch that to phone.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Germanshield

Originally Posted by flooners
There's an LED unit that's supposed to blink when it flashes a new firmware that didn't change for me. I have been contacting them with email, so maybe it's time to switch that to phone.
Yea, email for these kinds of companies is generally slower. I had a really good experience with the guy I worked with (I'm terrible with names), so I hope they get it squared away. Hopefully they can just drop ship you a new unit and you can return the other later, if at all.

Only other pieces of info I can offer deal with the BT not working period, rather than interface issues. Good luck.