Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Custom Back Seat Sub Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 AM
WickedTuner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom Back Seat Sub Project

10 enclosure destination

​​​​​​Removed center console from back seat, rough layout for frame (bunch of bananas for scale?)
Frame cut
Fits snuggly...maybe too much
Under seat prep for foam insulation. Hopefully to help secure the box tightly to the existing seat frame and reduce rattle
Thank god for that safety wrap in the front O.O expanded more than expected
Removed, might need to trim back on the mid bar, but the tighter the better I think. Slit in the middle is where the existing console connector bar is
Long serrated blade pressed against the frame cuts through it like highly toxic butter you should never ingest
Rear filled, more of the same
Pre cut
Cut

Recessed ring setup for sub

Driver in today......love that new sub smell
Great amp for a single sub setup im sure you can run more but will be perfect for this project
And controller for...controlling

Sanding out inner ring
Getting ready for some fiberglass
Stretched out firmly
Fiberglass resin applied!

Next step fiberglass mat 2x layers for reinforcement
Cup holders and frame
Almost ready for wrapping step 2

Rough idea of finished look!

​​​​​​At this point im sure some people might be asking...

Couple reasons

1.) Why not in the trunk like 95% of people
​​​​​​
The trunk space is needed as I keep a lot of my work stuff there that I need everyday and dont want banging into the enclosure. And that 5% of you guys out there doing off the wall mods inspire me.

2.) What about people in the back?

80% of the time I don't have the full 4 passengers in the car so I'm not overly concerned with space issues in the back seat and its ideally going to take up the same amount of "seating" space (as no one was ever sitting on the previous console anyway). Plus, just cause I can never do anything simply, the enclosure will still have cupholders and im thinking of running a retractable pair of micro USB/lightning chargers through the box. So there I didnt forget about the damn backseat people xP

3.) Will the box even be big enough?

This ones a tough one. Best answer I got so far...maaaaaaybe? The sub I'm getting is a JL Audio 10w6v3, calls for .6 for sealed and .8 ported. Not crazy, but space is limited. But the fact that the sub will be in the main cabin with me makes me think it will be fine if its not exactly .8. Because its right behind me. Like music-got-low-in-a-scary-movie-and-you-KNOW-that-guy-walking-backwards-into-a-dark-corner-is-going-to-die! That kinda right behind me. And I know the factory suggestions aren't the perfect fit for every car/music genre from what I've gathered around here.

Will be busy tomorrow but hoping to get some more done throughout the week. Might have a few more pics later as it dries.

Last edited by WickedTuner; 07-26-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Ring mount for Step Fiberglass
The following users liked this post:
4doorfury (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
When factoring in the box size/air volume, please make sure you are also adding the bracing, port work (if any) and the magnet/basket into the equation. That box looks more like .5 cubes after those are factored in.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 PM
WickedTuner

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
When factoring in the box size/air volume, please make sure you are also adding the bracing, port work (if any) and the magnet/basket into the equation. That box looks more like .5 cubes after those are factored in.
What box? Ahhhh the frame in the photos is just a support to hold the box above it. When the frame is done the top of it will actually be the very bottom of the enclosure. Essentially the box will be taller and double as kind of a center arm rest as well. Measuring the interior volume is going to be difficult.
​​​

Last edited by WickedTuner; 07-07-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:13 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Going to be sick!

-Josh
Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Def in for finished product. Planning on doing a fabric cover, leather perhaps? Will be nice. I'd probably go sealed though.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 PM
WickedTuner

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Def in for finished product. Planning on doing a fabric cover, leather perhaps? Will be nice. I'd probably go sealed though.
Fabric or leather.......NEITHER! The enclosure itself will be primarily fiberglass from this point on with exceptions of some wood/MDF for mounting. After the enclosure is all sealed up, wired, and god willing running/sounding beautifully, I will disassemble the sub and wiring to be sent to a shop for painting. Going to match the paint of the car exterior (black). Though I am debating on leaving a half inch recess where the armrest is and seeing what my options are for a custom leather wrap. Talking like 8x12 inches that drops down the sides a bit, shouldn't be all that complicated. So maybe some leather.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i am subbing to this so hard.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
i am subbing to this so hard.
Ahhhh that pun....
Old 07-08-2017, 12:01 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is awesome in that I could use this type setup in my vert. I've been debating on how to add subs and up to this point I was going to build a box in the rear seat floorboards. Props, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey OP, any updates?